Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, alexf said:

Can't agree with this. Burn has been rinsed plenty in the past and looked our weakest link he majority of time this and last season. The difference is he used to have Joelinton or Willock doubling up for him and protecting. 

I'm not gonna blame him though, he doesn't pick himself and isn't going to miraculous improve his attributes. 

It's on Howe this for not recognising that the negatives far out weigh he positives of Burn at Left back. He's a left side of a back 3 only. 

I thought after that Man U game, Tino had cemented left back as his to lose but has seemingly done nothing wrong and found himself out the team. 

The Forrest loss and the dropped points here are entirely on his team selection. 

Still love him but he needs to accept the criticism for this. 

Agree with this except for the Forest part. That was the peak of our fatigue and when Tino apparently needed rest. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

He's probably thinking:

"We've been defensively really solid these last two games, and have been back to our best in that regard, Burn pocketed Diaby on Wednesday, and was man of the match against Fulham. I should probably stick with the same back five thats given that solidity"

What was he thinking at half time then?

Probably all already said. Great comeback but two points dropped and that was on Howe. Everyone could see that Burn had to come off or get help at half time, reactive not proactive from Howe. Tino is clearly our best option at left back…play him! No coincidence we didn’t concede again when he came on 

Just now, Decky said:

What was he thinking at half time then?

That we're in a really scrappy game, and want to have leaders on the pitch? Something I can understand. 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

However exposed Burn was today, he has still put in some stellar performances recently. I also think he hasn’t cost us as much as Trippier’s little spell if fuckwittery cost us. 

Difference is that Trippier has been playing well most of the games but then has had ‘moments’. Burn, when he isn’t playing well, can be awful and you could see it coming 

Never ceases to amaze me how many people despite watching thousands of football matches think its automatic that the higher placed team beats the lower placed team despite the thousands of times that doesn't happen including when were the lower place team...like a few days ago.

He won't overreact which is good, and 4 points from the last 2 is more than I thought we'd get. We are looking more like our old selves in many ways too but not quite there defensively which is a combination of factors.

Got to start learning lessons about Burn now though. The targeting of him these days is a very, very evident pattern and is getting regular success now.

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

I love Howe but the Burn stuff lately is worrying me. Burn hasn’t been all bad, he’s had a couple of good games recently but he clearly struggles against pace. We’ve a £35m full back on the bench who has been excellent when we’ve seen him and we would have won this game today if he started Tino.

The thing that worries me about Howe is why does he not see it? And I don’t mean in game I mean before the game when he looks at our opposition does he not see their wingers and think Burn will struggle with the pace? Is he showing too much loyalty to Burn? 

This is a guy who apparently spends every waking hour studying video footage of our performances and our opponents, so there’s literally no excuse.  I could show a few of our performances to someone who has never watched football before and they would spot Dan Burn as our weak link. Whatever he is seeing, I would like him to explain, because at the moment it looks like he’s just ignoring a glaring problem that is costing us points and letting the whole team down.

Just now, Jonas said:

Never ceases to amaze me how many people despite watching thousands of football matches think its automatic that the higher placed team beats the lower placed team despite the thousands of times that doesn't happen including when were the lower place team...like a few days ago.

Who thinks it’s automatic? 

There were excuses for the away game. Where we were awful and fatigued. But still should have done better.  

But today with the players we had available and being at home. I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect a much more composed performance and not to be comfortably outplayed and for large spells, out-passed by Luton Town. 

Been done hard by injuries and blatant corruption with that "handball" in Paris, but he's been too stubborn this season. Also can't seem to organise the defense anymore. 

I don't know... can the season just be over soon?

1 minute ago, 54 said:

That we're in a really scrappy game, and want to have leaders on the pitch? Something I can understand. 

We’ve plenty of leaders on the pitch man, fact is Burn was struggling and a change needed to be made to deal with their pace down that side of the pitch. You don’t need to take my word for it because we all know what happened next. 

I’m not a hater of Burn, I really like him and he’s been a big personality at the club since Howe came in but it’s ok to say he had a bad game and it was clear Tino going out there at half time would have been an improvement for us today. 

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Yep.  Luton has 20 points and there are only three teams with fewer points than them.   So even if they’d already played their fixtures against them, there’d only be a maximum of 18 points from those fixtures.  So Luton must have taken points from teams above them.  Like we did against Villa midweek.  Funny old game, football.

4 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

At the very least he deserves a crack at the upcoming summer overhaul and making his mark with the new squad. 

I think it depends on his philosophy. If it's always to 'run a bit further, jump a bit higher' then that has a ceiling. Even the great Simeone has banged his head against that.

Coupled with EH's seeming reluctance to rotate (I'm talking about earlier in the season when it was possible) then I think the football heads above him at the club will think about alternatives.

I love EH as much as everyone else so I hope this is all a moody fallow period and the EH and the team adjusts the approach and finds another way to be successful, to evolve. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Who thinks it’s automatic? 

There were excuses for the away game. Where we were awful and fatigued. But still should have done better.  

But today with the players we had available and being at home. I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect a much more composed performance and not to be comfortably outplayed and for large spells, out-passed by Luton Town. 

This. It's not the result. Crazy things can happen in a game you can't legislate for and it gets away from you. Happens to everyone.

It's the performance. That's the key indicator.

We didn’t learn anything new today.  Howe tends to pick players that he likes and trusts, and usually makes tactical substitutions reactively - and this season, this has often been after chucking away an unnecessary goal or two.

If every game where it happens is as fun as this one was, I’d be ok.  Doubt his employers share this view, mind. 

12 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

At the very least he deserves a crack at the upcoming summer overhaul and making his mark with the new squad. 

Barring a disastrous end to the season, I agree.

I'm a bit conflicted on Howe. I love the way we try to play our way out from the back, and I still think it will work once we upgrade in a few positions, but he doesn't seem to have a Plan B. Against teams with certain attributes, i.e. pace and power, you do have to address that and not give them an open field. The game against Villa seemed like a turning point in that we sat off a bit and then exploited the space in behind when we won possession. Today the game was never in control beyond the first 20 mins.

The BDB/Tino conundrum is literally the only thing I really question him on. Everything else that’s happened this season there are massive amounts of mitigation.

Absolutely no way his position should be up for debate. Utterly deranged conversation to be having.

Edited by christ

Apologies @OpenCand @David Edgar let my emotions dictate during the game. Trying to clarify my thoughts.

Eddie Howe has credit in the bank, so did Dan Burn but for everyone the credit can diminish. People have different breaking points. Fair play, you wanted Burn out of the team sooner, i did want Livramento in my 11 but I wasn't as desperate to see Burn dropped. I thought he deserved a chance after last season.

Eddie Howe still has a ton of credit, Burns has run out. If Eddie keeps playing Burn, despite the evidence, his will diminish too.

Ultimately, I back Eddie but everyone has their blindspot.

I doubt anyone thinks Burn should start from here on out.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We didn’t learn anything new today.  Howe tends to pick players that he likes and trusts, and usually makes tactical substitutions reactively - and this season, this has often been after chucking away an unnecessary goal or two.

If every game where it happens is as fun as this one was, I’d be ok.  Doubt his employers share this view, mind. 

This sums it up pretty nicely :thup:

15 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

However exposed Burn was today, he has still put in some stellar performances recently. I also think he hasn’t cost us as much as Trippier’s little spell if fuckwittery cost us. 

Dont think you can compare Trippier and Burn. How many games have Trippier won us like? Plenty.