Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd be very surprised based on how we've played most of the season.

I want to believe but the likes of Forest and Luton at home makes me a doubter.

5 hours ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

As Newcastle fans we have plenty of experience giving managers not suited to the job much more time than they deserve (usually because they shouldn't have been appointed in the first place). I can't help but think that this has left some scarring. Sir Bobby finished 11th in his first season (september appointment) and 11th in his second (first full season).  

It is not the position that is particularly important, but the improvement. Part of the issue at the moment is that it feels like a number of issues have been clear for a while that haven't improved. But if we had a full squad or fuller squad available how much would these issues have even appeared. 

Quite happy i've seen comfortably more positive signs from Howe than negatives. Don't think an informed decision can be made about whether he is the right man for the job until halfway through next season. 

Barring something crackers like ten straight losses, he has to be given this season, the summer window and a significant proportion of next season for me too.

It is far, far too early to be talking about him getting sacked (the only ‘rogue’ element was not knowing what the owners might do).

He’s shown that he’s a top rate coach, and a really good manager.  He’s having to be reactive now due to a number of things going against him / us - most of which are outside of his control, but I also think some were in his control and he’s made some mistakes.  I want to see what he’s learned next season - there’s credit in the bank yet; but not as much as there was a few months ago. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Barring something crackers like ten straight losses, he has to be given this season, the summer window and a significant proportion of next season for me too.

Obviously agree but would make the point that he still quite clearly has majority (probably total) backing in the dressing room. A truly dramatic collapse only happens if that goes away. Which it won't do; he manages the players brilliantly on a human level and you know they'll go until the bitter end for him.

10 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Very Brexity reason for keeping him on, but ok.

Any reason will do me [emoji38] would like to see us under Eddie with a few additions, a few gone and a “no freak” injury list over the next season. 

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Nice one Ando, the social media replies are usually full of other fans or Mackem replies, seems though there are a few thick Mags out there buying into this noise.

Some of that is total nonsense from Ando, but the original comment was ridiculous.

Howe will be here next season, which I am happy with. Granted we have been poor for large parts of the season, but there's been more than enough mitigating circumstances to offset that. He has earned another crack at it next season. 

Now, if we're in a similar spot midway through next season without the injuries & suspensions, and after another Summer of big spending, that's when he may be in trouble. But I honestly don't see it. Really think he will have learned plenty from this campaign, and with additions to the squad can see us back challenging for that 6th/5th spot next season. 

He definately has my vote still.  Would like to see him develop some other tactical approaches however, and be less predictable with subs and starting lineups but I am sure that will change, espcially with a full squad and hopefully some new additions in the summer.

It would be good for the player as well as our current apporach must be knackering to maintain over a season.

Oh and he needs to get the defense playing like it did last season. 

Find all this talk of Howe not being up to it disappointing and bizarre. He is our second best performing PL manager. This takes into account disappointments (and glorious bits) of this season. Don’t know why I am bothered, as there were also people moaning about Keegan and Robson’s ineptitudes. Look what we have all endured since. Guess I just wish people could cope with disappointment better and, to steal a quote, still overestimate the power of logic and (wrongly) assume intelligent men are rational.

There's always been a kneejerk, whiny section of the fanbase that want the manager sacked as soon at the first sign of trouble. Was going to say it feels like they've gotten worse, but I remember Bobby was getting a much worse time from them towards the end of his reign than Howe is currently getting. 

All this has gotten me thinking of a (semi) interesting tangent. Which (PL era) manager under-performed the most in relation to what they had in terms of squad and funds? Guess the easy/obvious answer in Gullit. Though I think McClaren gives him a pretty good run. 

I actually think in terms of PL finishes Bruce had us almost exactly where we deserved to be, not that he had much to do with it at all. 

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

All this has gotten me thinking of a (semi) interesting tangent. Which (PL era) manager under-performed the most in relation to what they had in terms of squad and funds? Guess the easy/obvious answer in Gullit. Though I think McClaren gives him a pretty good run. 

I actually think in terms of PL finishes Bruce had us almost exactly where we deserved to be, not that he had much to do with it at all. 

That's very easily Pardew imo. We arguably punched above our weight in 2011/12 but in the two seasons which followed we massively underachieved given the quality in the squad, ultimately setting the tone for the remainder of the Ashley era. 

That's why everyone was aching for him to get jettisoned: it was clear as day that the promising run in 2012 was never going to be replicated or built on. There was lots to hate about him but the fundamental issue was that - even in spite of the lack of investment - we were wasting a really good squad on a rubbish manager.

Speaking for myself, it took a little bit of time to realise that the lack of progress was, of course, all by design. Being oh so burdened with the Europa League in 2012/13 cemented in Ashley's mind that it wasn't worth competing. That was Pardew's fault and that's why people shouldn't forget the existentially disastrous implications of his tenure. 

10 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

McClaren would be my call. Also agree regarding Bruce although I think he would have relegated us that last season if the takeover hadn't happened.

I don't think it's McClaren at all. By that point we had next to nothing in the way of decent strikers; Remy and Ba were long gone, Cisse had all but lost the plot, Siem de Jong never assimilating, Mitro areet but very rough around the edges, Perez decent but just a young lad, Rivieire laughable. Then you had the likes of Sissoko who wasn't interested, Tiote well past his best, Anita and Colback who were basically rubbish, Thauvin who couldn't give a monkeys. Rob Elliot first choice goalie.

If it wasn't for Wijnaldum and Perez we probably wouldn't have got a single point. :lol:

25 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

If this is limited to Newcastle then in my time supporting the club, aside from a few little winning runs it's 100% Pardew from August 2012 until he left at the end of 2014. That squad had far more quality and balance than anything anyone else in the Ashley-era had. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

35 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That's very easily Pardew imo. We arguably punched above our weight in 2011/12 but in the two seasons which followed we massively underachieved given the quality in the squad, ultimately setting the tone for the remainder of the Ashley era. 

That's why everyone was aching for him to get jettisoned: it was clear as day that the promising run in 2012 was never going to be replicated or built on. There was lots to hate about him but the fundamental issue was that - even in spite of the lack of investment - we were wasting a really good squad on a rubbish manager.

Speaking for myself, it took a little bit of time to realise that the lack of progress was, of course, all by design. Being oh so burdened with the Europa League in 2012/13 cemented in Ashley's mind that it wasn't worth competing. That was Pardew's fault and that's why people shouldn't forget the existentially disastrous implications of his tenure. 

Totally disagree with this assessment. Pardew was deeply unpopular from day one because he got the job through being pals with a Ashley peon and he was willing to be a Ashley mouthpiece. He also took over a well-liked manager who didn't deserve the sack and someone who wasn't an Ashley stooge.

So what you get is an under-appreciation of his positive spells hence "arguably punched above our weight" to finish 5th. And over-emphasis on the terrible spells. People used to act like Vurnon Anita was being treated harshly when reality was - he was shit. We signed a lot of foreign players not suited to the league or not very good like Davide Santon and thought we should challenge for Europe.

The squad that McClaren relegated was the strongest squad we had for some time. Shelvey, Ayoze, Cisse, Mitrovic, Townsend, Sissoko, Gini etc. 18 months prior Pardew had the same squad minus Shelvey, Mitro, Townsend and Gini and left us midtable. McClaren was a bad manager.

Ultimately it was all Fat Mike's fault. He never wanted European football unless it was CL. We didn't know his full MO at the time so many felt Pardew was holding the club back. But Pardew was doing what he was meant to do for his bosses. Finish 13th every season. 

Edit: Massive crime by Bruce & Rafa to not play a 4-3-3 with Sissoko - Shelvey - Gini.

Edited by The College Dropout

Another reason McClaren was bad for me too was because he came in with a principle of maybe we’ll actually see some coaching of the side at last, and that just didn’t happen with players getting worse and tactics a mess. Basically in the end ditched any attempt of a passing game and went counter attacking. 

Just an absolute cluster fuck. 

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Totally disagree with this assessment. Pardew was deeply unpopular from day one because he got the job through being pals with a Ashley peon and he was willing to be a Ashley mouthpiece. He also took over a well-liked manager who didn't deserve the sack and someone who wasn't an Ashley stooge.

So what you get is an under-appreciation of his positive spells hence "arguably punched above our weight" to finish 5th. 

As someone who was very active on here at the time, I don't think that is completely true tbh.  This forum was notoriously critical of Pardew in the end, but he was quite well liked during the 5th placed season in particular, the posts backing this up probably still exist on here. 

Edit: I'm sure some people won't think me for this, but as an example:

https://newcastle-online.org/topic/25874-alan-pardew/page/921/

He lost the fans favour with his performance and attitude after that season, justifiably so. 

33 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

So what you get is an under-appreciation of his positive spells hence "arguably punched above our weight" to finish 5th. And over-emphasis on the terrible spells. People used to act like Vurnon Anita was being treated harshly when reality was - he was shit. We signed a lot of foreign players not suited to the league or not very good like Davide Santon and thought we should challenge for Europe.

The squad that McClaren relegated was the strongest squad we had for some time. Shelvey, Ayoze, Cisse, Mitrovic, Townsend, Sissoko, Gini etc. 18 months prior Pardew had the same squad minus Shelvey, Mitro, Townsend and Gini and left us midtable. McClaren was a bad manager.

Ultimately it was all Fat Mike's fault. He never wanted European football unless it was CL. We didn't know his full MO at the time so many felt Pardew was holding the club back. But Pardew was doing what he was meant to do for his bosses. Finish 13th every season. 

Edit: Massive crime by Bruce & Rafa to not play a 4-3-3 with Sissoko - Shelvey - Gini.

I assume you quoted the wrong post but there's absolutely no way the McClaren squad was better than the Pardew squad of 2013/14 imo. You're overrating the players you've listed, without mentioning the disinterested shite we had elsewhere in the squad in 2015/16.