Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

9 minutes ago, TRC said:

What do you mean by patience

I mean we need to be patient with EH and take a long term view. One of his biggest strengths is developing players. If we get the club functioning properly e.g. the academy and player trading, he is likely to get us heading in the right direction.

9 minutes ago, TRC said:

If we take 1 point from our next 3, essentially killing our season do we still stick with him?

Yeah.

Edited by Dr Venkman

Saying we finished bottom of the champions league group and using it as a negative against Eddie is pretty unfair. Robbed against PSG and then instead of being happy with 3rd and a Europa spot we went all out for it against Milan and got done on the counter. 

Same with the cups, we got rough draws but went for every tie. Ultimately it didn't work out and our league position may have been better had we rotated more and threw games like other sides are happy to do. 

I'm personally glad in the way we attacked each competition this year even if in the end we haven't been successful. 

All the noise coming from the club suggests they fully intend to keep and back him in the summer and rightly so. The Howe out talk seems to be purely fan driven who have been spoilt by one over performing season. 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

No one is claiming Burn is in "great form". Up until recently it was quite poor.

We know why he's in the side though. He provides height, particularly while Joelinton is out, he's natural off the left and he drops into a back three in possession. 

Looking at the alternatives.

Hall still looks really raw when we don't have the ball. Perhaps chucking him in, with an equally developing Miley in front of him offering very little protection, was seen as an disaster waiting to happen? Perhaps there are problems off the field that we aren't aware of?

Livramento is more confusing. He might not offer the height or be natural off the left, but he's a lot safer in one-on-ones and offers far more going forward. Has Howe decided what Burn brings is more important? Livramento himself recently claimed he's played more football than expected this year, so are they still concerned about overloading him after a long term injury?

Howe may well have made an error in not rotating Burn, but without knowing his reasoning, it's hard to say it's "clear".

He provides height.... but we are conceding at almost 3 a game, so could it be any worse trying something else I wonder? Who knows.... but I think it would have been worth a try. Hall played against Dortmund and didn't look great, but then again we only conceded 1 and he was hauled off.

5 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Saying we finished bottom of the champions league group and using it as a negative against Eddie is pretty unfair. Robbed against PSG and then instead of being happy with 3rd and a Europa spot we went all out for it against Milan and got done on the counter. 

Same with the cups, we got rough draws but went for every tie. Ultimately it didn't work out and our league position may have been better had we rotated more and threw games like other sides are happy to do. 

I'm personally glad in the way we attacked each competition this year even if in the end we haven't been successful. 

All the noise coming from the club suggests they fully intend to keep and back him in the summer and rightly so. The Howe out talk seems to be purely fan driven who have been spoilt by one over performing season. 

This philosophy will be handsomely rewarded when we have the players available and fresh again. 

37 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I'm not using it as a negative to attack Howe btw - it's just what happened.

We were robbed against PSG. It should've been on almighty smash and grab. But on the balance of play we didn't deserve to win anyway. I don't think we have any complaints with getting 1 point from the other 4 games. We only really played well 1st half against Milan at Home. 

Super tough draw so all of that is understandable. PSG (H) highlight of the season.

I also think he did the right thing to go for the winner against Milan.

At the same time - I'm not giving him moral victory points for finishing last in our CL group. Valiant effort and all - great. We didn't disgrace ourselves like Man U did. We competed in all the matches and avoided getting battered. But we probably deserved to finish bottom. We used to be really good at hanging on in games like we did in the CL. PSG (A) or Milan (A) wasn't much different in terms of balance of play to Anfield or Emirates but with Pope in goal - we had a knack for staying in games.

Edited by The College Dropout

35 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Fans will always be up and down depending on current form. I would have thought the club will have taken into account this season has been a freak one for injuries and suspensions so they aren't going to judge on the basis of one campaign. My impression has always been that they trust Howe implicitly, especially since he was to all intents and purposes the DoF for a year before Ashworth rocked up.

That said, some questions will be there about tactics, use of the squad and if it could have been handled better. We'll have a full squad to play with next time round, and how we perform next season is what Howe will be judged on. Even so PIF would be very reluctant to sack him given the amount of dedication and hard work he's put in. I mean, who would you bring in that would be guaranteed to do a better job?

Now that we are out of the cups and only have the PL to focus on, post Dubai I can see a renewed focus and with a soft run in, the kind of success we got in 2007 under Roeder which got him the job full time. 

Of the ten games, I wouldn't be surprised to see 8 wins and 2 draws, ending on 66 points or thereabouts. 

As Newcastle fans we have plenty of experience giving managers not suited to the job much more time than they deserve (usually because they shouldn't have been appointed in the first place). I can't help but think that this has left some scarring. Sir Bobby finished 11th in his first season (september appointment) and 11th in his second (first full season).  

It is not the position that is particularly important, but the improvement. Part of the issue at the moment is that it feels like a number of issues have been clear for a while that haven't improved. But if we had a full squad or fuller squad available how much would these issues have even appeared. 

Quite happy i've seen comfortably more positive signs from Howe than negatives. Don't think an informed decision can be made about whether he is the right man for the job until halfway through next season. 

38 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Now that we are out of the cups and only have the PL to focus on, post Dubai I can see a renewed focus and with a soft run in, the kind of success we got in 2007 under Roeder which got him the job full time. 

Of the ten games, I wouldn't be surprised to see 8 wins and 2 draws, ending on 66 points or thereabouts. 

I'd be very surprised based on how we've played most of the season.

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd be very surprised based on how we've played most of the season.

I want to believe but the likes of Forest and Luton at home makes me a doubter.

5 hours ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

As Newcastle fans we have plenty of experience giving managers not suited to the job much more time than they deserve (usually because they shouldn't have been appointed in the first place). I can't help but think that this has left some scarring. Sir Bobby finished 11th in his first season (september appointment) and 11th in his second (first full season).  

It is not the position that is particularly important, but the improvement. Part of the issue at the moment is that it feels like a number of issues have been clear for a while that haven't improved. But if we had a full squad or fuller squad available how much would these issues have even appeared. 

Quite happy i've seen comfortably more positive signs from Howe than negatives. Don't think an informed decision can be made about whether he is the right man for the job until halfway through next season. 

Barring something crackers like ten straight losses, he has to be given this season, the summer window and a significant proportion of next season for me too.

It is far, far too early to be talking about him getting sacked (the only ‘rogue’ element was not knowing what the owners might do).

He’s shown that he’s a top rate coach, and a really good manager.  He’s having to be reactive now due to a number of things going against him / us - most of which are outside of his control, but I also think some were in his control and he’s made some mistakes.  I want to see what he’s learned next season - there’s credit in the bank yet; but not as much as there was a few months ago. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Barring something crackers like ten straight losses, he has to be given this season, the summer window and a significant proportion of next season for me too.

Obviously agree but would make the point that he still quite clearly has majority (probably total) backing in the dressing room. A truly dramatic collapse only happens if that goes away. Which it won't do; he manages the players brilliantly on a human level and you know they'll go until the bitter end for him.

10 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Very Brexity reason for keeping him on, but ok.

Any reason will do me [emoji38] would like to see us under Eddie with a few additions, a few gone and a “no freak” injury list over the next season. 

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Nice one Ando, the social media replies are usually full of other fans or Mackem replies, seems though there are a few thick Mags out there buying into this noise.

Some of that is total nonsense from Ando, but the original comment was ridiculous.

Howe will be here next season, which I am happy with. Granted we have been poor for large parts of the season, but there's been more than enough mitigating circumstances to offset that. He has earned another crack at it next season. 

Now, if we're in a similar spot midway through next season without the injuries & suspensions, and after another Summer of big spending, that's when he may be in trouble. But I honestly don't see it. Really think he will have learned plenty from this campaign, and with additions to the squad can see us back challenging for that 6th/5th spot next season. 

He definately has my vote still.  Would like to see him develop some other tactical approaches however, and be less predictable with subs and starting lineups but I am sure that will change, espcially with a full squad and hopefully some new additions in the summer.

It would be good for the player as well as our current apporach must be knackering to maintain over a season.

Oh and he needs to get the defense playing like it did last season. 

Find all this talk of Howe not being up to it disappointing and bizarre. He is our second best performing PL manager. This takes into account disappointments (and glorious bits) of this season. Don’t know why I am bothered, as there were also people moaning about Keegan and Robson’s ineptitudes. Look what we have all endured since. Guess I just wish people could cope with disappointment better and, to steal a quote, still overestimate the power of logic and (wrongly) assume intelligent men are rational.