Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It's worth noting that 5 of the starting eleven yesterday were here when we were deep in the relegation zone and looking like we were going to go down with about 20 points. (In the 4-0 win against Spurs, there were actually 6)

Brian Clough is the only other manager who I can think of, who had this ability to get great performances from ordinary players.

Posted (edited)

There is a segment of fan that seems to thrive on negativity towards the manager, and I get it - we have had more than our share of absolute chancers, idiots, and assholes running things. It's hard to accept that we actually have not only a decent man, not only a very competent man, but perhaps our best manager in decades running things. It's hard to let go of the spite and the cynicism, especially with this club. But it's time.

I don't think I would swap him for anyone in the world. Feels weird to say that but considering how well we play, our style, the way he improves players, the way he communicates with staff and supporters, I genuinely don't think there's a better fit for us. 

It's a long-winded way of saying - individual results can be criticised, as they can with any manager, but if anyone is seriously questioning his ability or his fit here, it says far more about them than it does about Howe.

Edited by Memphis

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Memphis said:

There is a segment of fan that seems to thrive on negativity towards the manager, and I get it - we have had more than our share of absolute chancers, idiots, and assholes running things. It's hard to accept that we actually have not only a decent man, not only a very competent man, but perhaps our best manager in decades running things. It's hard to let go of the spite and the cynicism, especially with this club. But it's time.

I don't think I would swap him for anyone in the world. Feels weird to say that but considering how well we play, our style, the way he improves players, the way he communicates with staff and supporters, I genuinely don't think there's a better fit for us. 

It's a long-winded way of saying - individual results can be criticised, as they can with any manager, but if anyone is seriously questioning his ability or his fit here, it says far more about them than it does about Howe.

Plus the longevity he still has. Once we hit Regular European football/trophies he’s here for the long haul too.

Edited by PauloGeordio

11 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Plus the longevity he still has. Once we hit Regular European football/trophies he’s here for the long haul too.

He's brilliant in every way.  We will win things with this manager, trust me.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

How has Dan Burn got 100 appearances for us and Howe has managed 100 for us?

Howe's 100 number is only PL matches I think? He's managed more matches for us overall, just not in the PL.

I think that Burn stat is total matches across all comps.

Edited by cubaricho

Just now, cubaricho said:

Howe's 100 number is only PL matches right? He's managed more matches for us overall, just not in the PL.

I think that Burn stat is total matches period.

thanks man. Was just thinking that after I posted. I immediately assumed 360 was posting funny maths. 

Obviously he has turned the corner. The team looks calm and settle again. Frontline pressing is back. Everything looks like last season

The question is whether history would repeat again next season. 

30 minutes ago, Zero said:

Obviously he has turned the corner. The team looks calm and settle again. Frontline pressing is back. Everything looks like last season

The question is whether history would repeat again next season. 

You'd hope the squad will be stronger next season though. Only having Ritchie, Dummett, two keepers and a couple of youth players on the bench really killed us for a couple of months.  

Our 3rd and 4th choice options in each position next year should be so much better that this kind of season happening again is hopefully not possible. Plus the luck we've had this season with some of the injuries and Tonali can't surely happen again.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

You'd hope the squad will be stronger next season though. Only having Ritchie, Dummett, two keepers and a couple of youth players on the bench really killed us for a couple of months.  

Our 3rd and 4th choice options in each position next year should be so much better that this kind of season happening again is hopefully not possible. Plus the luck we've had this season with some of the injuries and Tonali can't surely happen again.

Wanna bet?  ;)

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

So we ended up not winning in the majority of our games so far?

:mancini:

Edited by Erikse

This came out the other day in case anyone is interested, points lost from winning positions. We're in the bottom half. Tottenham are worse but the current top 4 are all ruthless. They go ahead and stay ahead. Villa have been amazing. 20 wins, 2 draws, and 1 defeat off 23 leads.

https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-all-20-premier-league-clubs-points-lost-from-winning-positions

I had a look into this and here are the stats when one goal up.

goaldiffvsvilla.thumb.png.deca8c54fc15c0fb6f77bf6a70d9afa4.png

Basically xG and xGA are identical between us and Villa. When one goal up, we've underperformed xG for and against by 12 (!!!) in just 700 minutes, missing chances galore and allowing easy equalizers. Our goal difference when leading by one is actually minus! Villa have overperformed xG in the same state by 6, making an 18 goal swing between us and them off pretty much the same xG stats (i.e., chances created and allowed). There is the points difference between us and them for you right there.

I can't remember many glaring misses when one up, but it's not hard to come up with equalizers from low quality positions, the Nunez one, the Kudus one, and the KDB one for starters. The Dummett penalty was also very avoidable.

The reason I post this is that I don't think we need massive tweaks to playing style or personnel, probably just a better keeper and better luck. Our finishing and goalkeeping going to shit when we are one goal up is just freaky.

19 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

I’ve always used/considered Norwich City at home as his first official game in charge (30.11.21) as, although he was appointed on 8th November, he wasn’t actually in charge of the team until then. Looks like the two prior games (Brentford at H on 20th, and Arsenal A on 27th) have been used to tot up to 100. I’m now deeply statistically troubled ? 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’ve always used/considered Norwich City at home as his first official game in charge (30.11.21) as, although he was appointed on 8th November, he wasn’t actually in charge of the team until then. Looks like the two prior games (Brentford at H on 20th, and Arsenal A on 27th) have been used to tot up to 100. I’m now deeply statistically troubled ? 

Brentford at home was the first game he was manager for; albeit he missed it due to Covid. He was in the dugout for Arsenal though. 

6 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Brentford at home was the first game he was manager for; albeit he missed it due to Covid. He was in the dugout for Arsenal though. 

Thanks I vaguely recalled it was COVID related. Think I read an interview with him/someone where it said Norwich was the first time he was properly in charge (team selection, tactics etc) guessed the other two he relied on Gateshead Graeme; who was only officially interim manager for the previous three games. Do you think the ‘official’ records will include Brentford and Arsenal? 

12 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Thanks I vaguely recalled it was COVID related. Think I read an interview with him/someone where it said Norwich was the first time he was properly in charge (team selection, tactics etc) guessed the other two he relied on Gateshead Graeme; who was only officially interim manager for the previous three games. Do you think the ‘official’ records will include Brentford and Arsenal? 

Yeah the official records will include them I think, I imagine it will include any game that took place after we announced him as the new manager.

Posted (edited)

Here's a corrected Eddie Howe record--with the two games (20th and 27th) prior to Norwich City at home on 30th November 2021--in comparison to other managers (who have at least a full season's worth of PL games).

image.thumb.png.440fba1176af26f7890c828e50e1e4c9.png

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Incredible record considering he took over a relegation team. 

Isn’t it. His points per game (ppg) for the 27 games in 2021-22 is 1.63. Seems harsh to include the first few but guess they count/will be on him.  We’ll need another six points this season to match that. Currently 1.51ppg. 
Even more incredible his ppg for the 19 games Jan to May 2021-22, with a relegation threatened side, plus a few January additions, was 2.0 ppg. For comparison Villa are comfortably in 4th, this year, with 1.86ppg and we had 1.87ppg to finish fourth last season. 

24 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Here's a corrected Eddie Howe record--with the two games (20th and 27th) prior to Norwich City at home on 30th November 2021--in comparison to other managers (who have at least a full season's worth of PL games).

image.thumb.png.8bc46b9aed5ef5d2611d177a1eb6b8b3.png

Are those Keegan GD numbers correct? Insane if so. 

As if people seriously think Howe isn’t cut out for this job. Give up following football if you think he’s not up to it 

Just now, gbandit said:

As if people seriously think Howe isn’t cut out for this job. Give up following football if you think he’s not up to it 

The Irish TV at the weekend spending the build-up talking about how he still might lose his job was genuinely unreal :lol: