Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Whitley mag said:

With all respect don’t think I have, the discussion was started with @et tu brute suggesting he would be in trouble next season if things go in the same vein as this season.

I don’t think the is an unreasonable assertion as some have painted it out to be.

He didn't say if things go the same as this season though.

It goes without saying that if at the end of next season things are similar to this one despite the squad being improved and players coming back, that questions will start getting asked.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It goes without saying that if at the end of next season things are similar to this one despite the squad being improved and players coming back, that questions will start getting asked.

He said like it or not he’s under massive pressure next season, which pretty much is what you just accepted in this post.

As others have said, not having Joelinton, Tonali, & Willock for most of the season is what has really killed us. Our three most phsyical CMs all missing, all (largely) at the same time. You can handle one missing, maybe even two, but all three has left our midfield looking very lightweigh most of the season. 

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Howay pretty obvious what I meant and I clarified that in other posts

Pretty funny seeing him getting panned on Twitter for not playing Pope, despite the same people getting stuck in to him for rushing players back earlier in the season.

I hope Pope is ready for the weekend though. Brentford will bombard the eighteen yard area with crosses and long throw ins.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

He said like it or not he’s under massive pressure next season, which pretty much is what you just accepted in this post.

Don't think he's under pressure going into next season at all.

The issue this season has been player availability, no matter how much people might want to overlook this. It won't be the same next season, and we won't be inconsistent in  the same way. 

If somehow this does end up being the case then I'm sure questions will start being asked at the end of the season.

This is not the same as saying he is under pressure going into next season.

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Howay pretty obvious what I meant and I clarified that in other posts

If that's what you meant fair enough.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Pretty funny seeing him getting panned on Twitter for not playing Pope, despite the same people getting stuck in to him for rushing players back earlier in the season.

I hope Pope is ready for the weekend though. Brentford will bombard the eighteen yard area with crosses and long throw ins.

I’m not planning the manager but I do get the point. We rushed players back when we had a lot of games to play, we can somewhat afford to rush players back now as they will be getting a break. 

im not for bashing the gaffa though but I do see some logic to wanting pope back asap. 

9 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

As others have said, not having Joelinton, Tonali, & Willock for most of the season is what has really killed us. Our three most phsyical CMs all missing, all (largely) at the same time. You can handle one missing, maybe even two, but all three has left our midfield looking very lightweigh most of the season. 

People can go on about Howe being too loyal all they want, but the reality is that he didn't have any choice for most of the season. 

I personally can't even countenance some of the things I'm reading and hearing (outside of here TBF) about it being time to make a change, particularly if we miss out on Europe. I'm glad to be confident that the club obviously aren't reactionary enough to make a strategic decision like that based on the difference of 2-3 points. Like even if/when we do decide to make a change in manager - it would be done with more visionary scope and based on longer term trends.

At the moment I simply can't imagine that any other manager would come in and do demonstrably better than he has done. Is he perfect? Obviously not, and this season has shown that quite clearly in terms of tactical flexibility and squad management. However we need a manager who can coach and motivate players, squeeze value out of substandard players and can develop and improve young players to increase their value. That is how we bridge FFP until we can build a squad that can compete at the next level. He's ideal for this and has undoubtedly exceeded the remit since he came in.

I do think the role of a manager is actually overplayed. They are just one part of an overall structure from ownership, corporate management and right down to playing staff. It's far more important to have everyone pulling in the same direction on the same page and with continuity. There will come a natural point where perhaps there needs to be a change in management to progress, just like replacing a squad player with an upgrade, but we're clearly not there yet. Maybe next summer if we have another sticky year we can revisit - not now.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Don't think he's under pressure going into next season at all.

The issue this season has been player availability, no matter how much people might want to overlook this. It won't be the same next season, and we won't be inconsistent in  the same way. 

If somehow this does end up being the case then I'm sure questions will start being asked at the end of the season.

This is not the same as saying he is under pressure going into next season.

There isn't one Premier League manager who isn't under pressure. You think if we lose the first 3 games there'll be no consequences? Yasir will be on the blower at the very least.

Basing anything on final league position is really idiotic in general, TBF. One goal or one decision can make the difference between getting Europe and not.

Howe just needs a bit more quality (and not an injury crisis) and we'll absolutely great next season. 

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I personally can't even countenance some of the things I'm reading and hearing (outside of here TBF) about it being time to make a change, particularly if we miss out on Europe. I'm glad to be confident that the club obviously aren't reactionary enough to make a strategic decision like that based on the difference of 2-3 points. Like even if/when we do decide to make a change in manager - it would be done with more visionary scope and based on longer term trends.

At the moment I simply can't imagine that any other manager would come in and do demonstrably better than he has done. Is he perfect? Obviously not, and this season has shown that quite clearly in terms of tactical flexibility and squad management. However we need a manager who can coach and motivate players, squeeze value out of substandard players and can develop and improve young players to increase their value. That is how we bridge FFP until we can build a squad that can compete at the next level. He's ideal for this and has undoubtedly exceeded the remit since he came in.

I do think the role of a manager is actually overplayed. They are just one part of an overall structure from ownership, corporate management and right down to playing staff. It's far more important to have everyone pulling in the same direction on the same page and with continuity. There will come a natural point where perhaps there needs to be a change in management to progress, just like replacing a squad player with an upgrade, but we're clearly not there yet. Maybe next summer if we have another sticky year we can revisit - not now.

?

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Basing anything on final league position is really idiotic in general, TBF. One goal or one decision can make the difference between getting Europe and not.

Howe just needs a bit more quality (and not an injury crisis) and we'll absolutely great next season. 

And that for me is where the pressure comes from. If we add to the squad and don't have an injury crisis every man and their dog will be expecting us to be turning those draws / losses against poor sides into wins. Not to mention improving our away form.

I'm with you though, I also think we're a couple of good additions and a fitter squad away from being mint again.

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

And that for me is where the pressure comes from. If we add to the squad and don't have an injury crisis every man and their dog will be expecting us to be turning those draws / losses against poor sides into wins. Not to mention improving our away form.

I'm with you though, I also think we're a couple of good additions and a fitter squad away from being mint again.

Oh sure, well it's reasonable to expect a good season if we don't have to deal with the ridiculous events we've had this time around. 

Any manager is always being assessed, but I asses Howe as being absolutely brilliant so far. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

There isn't one Premier League manager who isn't under pressure. You think if we lose the first 3 games there'll be no consequences? Yasir will be on the blower at the very least.

He is under no greater pressure than any other manager, based off of what has happened this season.

Happy?

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's the being on the bench. For a keeper, I suspect you are either fit to play or you aren't.

Maybe Pope plays such an aggressive game he does more running than most keepers?

Just watching the game. You feel like Pope saves at least one of those goals. 

Posted (edited)

I know i'm in the minority here, and I fully understand the consequences of saying anything that doesn't toe the party line on this forum, but if there was a young-ish proven winner available, I wouldn't be devastated to see him replaced. Winning teams are built on a solid defence and I just don't have faith in Eddie to be able to deliver that consistently. 

Last season we were exceptional at the back, but history tells us that this season is more Eddie's norm than last.

Despite our injury crisis, the one area we've consistently had options (until the past 4-5 games) was in defence but all-too-often, even when we fielded our full strength line-up, we looked shambolic.  The Burn debacle was nothing short of negligent at times.

I appreciate the players in front of the defence contribute to goals conceded as well, but there has rarely been any attempt to shore that side of things up to help the defence.

I love our attacking prowess under Eddie, I love him as a person and I love a lot of what we're about under him, but I don't think he's the man to take us into the upper echelons of the Premier League consistently. You don't win anything conceding 2-3 goals per game. We got in the Champions League last season by having one of the meanest defenses in the PL, and that's what it will take every season if we're going to challenge.

FWIW, I would genuinely love him to prove me wrong.

Edited by Holmesy

Dont think he is under pressure from the start (more than any other), but I do think he has sort of used up his free hit. Another season like this and I think he is gone. We have pretty ambitious owners. 

I know we had a lot of injuries and he can sort of use that as an excuse, but it could also have came from the playstyle and management of the squad. If it happens again next season he cant really get the benefit of the doubt, which I am willing to give him for now.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

I know i'm in the minority here, and I fully understand the consequences of saying anything that doesn't toe the party line on this forum, but if there was a young-ish proven winner available, I wouldn't be devastated to see him replaced. Winning teams are built on a solid defence and I just don't have faith in Eddie to be able to deliver that consistently. 

Last season we were exceptional at the back, but history tells us that this season is more Eddie's norm than last.

Despite our injury crisis, the one area we've consistently had options (until the past 4-5 games) was in defence but all-too-often often, even when we fielded our full strength line-up, we looked shambolic.  The Burn debacle was nothing short of negligent at times.

I appreciate the players in front of the defence contribute to goals conceded as well, but there has rarely been any attempt to shore that side of things up to help the defence.

I love our attacking prowess under Eddie, I love him as a person and I love a lot of what we're about under him, but I don't think he's the man to take us into the upper echelons of the Premier League consistently. You don't win anything conceding 2-3 goals per game. We got in the Champions League last season by having one of the meanest defenses in the PL, and that's what it will take every season if we're going to challenge.

You don’t have faith he can build a solid defence, despite the fact for most of last season and the back end of the one before we had close to the best defence in the league ? Even before the injuries this season we where rock solid (go back and watch the Arsenal home game).

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Despite our injury crisis, the one area we've consistently had options (until the past 4-5 games) was in defence but all-too-often often, even when we fielded our full strength line-up, we looked shambolic.  The Burn debacle was nothing short of negligent at times.

These days, if you say you're English, you'll be arrested and thrown jail.

Feel like it gets repeated after every defeat, but no one has a clue what Yasir/PIF think. What I would say is that up to this point they have not shown anything to suggest they are going to be ruthless in hiring/firing, quite the opposite tbh.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Dont think he is under pressure from the start (more than any other), but I do think he has sort of used up his free hit. Another season like this and I think he is gone. We have pretty ambitious owners. 

I know we had a lot of injuries and he can sort of use that as an excuse, but it could also have came from the playstyle and management of the squad. If it happens again next season he cant really get the benefit of the doubt, which I am willing to give him for now.

It's not really the 'benefit of the doubt' though, is it? He's done pretty much an amazing job since he arrived and is about to manage half a Championship team to at least 7th in the PL. 

If it turns out he's asking half-fit players to do SAS assault courses and participate in an underground fighting ring, I stand corrected. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's not really the 'benefit of the doubt' though, is it? He's done pretty much an amazing job since he arrived and is about to manage half a Championship team to at least 7th in the PL. 

If it turns out he's asking half-fit players to do SAS assault courses and participate in an underground fighting ring, I stand corrected. 

Benefit of the doubt in regards to him not being at fault for the injury crisis we have had.

I agree that he has done an amazing job since he came, but I also do think we have owners that are demanding excellence. And two seasons in a row finishing 7-8 is not going to be enough.

Edited by Displayname