Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

Clearly he read that tweet about them being at the training ground until late and fabricated the rest. 

Good shout that

Was just thinking about how would luke edwards know anything of what's happened from Friday til now behind closed doors

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Exclusive: Club chiefs reassure manager he will continue to hold significant power after he sparked alarm with comments about restructuring.

Newcastle United have held clear-the-air talks with Eddie Howe over his future at the club and are confident he would reject any potential interest from England.

The club’s board were alarmed by Howe’s comments on Friday when he expressed concern over changes in the management structure this summer and questioned his future if those issues were not addressed.

Howe’s public expression of frustration came after the appointment of Paul Mitchell as sporting director and the sudden departure of co-owner Amanda Staveley, with the manager’s future coming into focus as he was made favourite to succeed Gareth Southgate with England.

When asked about the situation last Friday, Howe said: “There’s absolutely no point in me saying I’m happy staying at Newcastle if the dynamic isn’t right. I’m certainly not serving Newcastle well if I do that.”

Newcastle had not been warned Howe would go public with his frustrations and rather than rebuke their manager, the key power brokers have offered reassurances he will continue to hold significant power and will not be reduced to a first-team coach.

In those meetings, led by chief executive Darren Eales, they also reassured Howe he would have a say in recruitment and be involved in all major decisions over the club’s direction of travel.

Howe is said to have been pacified by promises the new management structure will be a collaboration between himself and Mitchell, as well as performance director James Bunce, and nothing will be imposed on him.

HOWE WILL RECEIVE SHORTLIST OF TRANSFER TARGETS 

That is thought to be particularly important in the area of recruitment, as one of Howe’s red lines is understood to have been the fear players would be signed for the first team that he did not want.

In turn, Howe has declared that he is more than happy to allow a shortlist of players to be drawn up for him to assess, which includes players from abroad rather than just those with Premier League experience.

Indeed, Howe has stressed that he has always been happy to recruit from foreign markets, pointing out that he was the driving force behind the signings of Brazilian Bruno Guimaraes, Dutchman Sven Botman and Sweden international Alexander Isak.

Player sales have also been discussed and it would appear increasingly certain that England international Kieran Trippier will be sold this summer, with interest from clubs in Saudi Arabia. There are also doubts about midfielder Sean Longstaff, who only has a year left on his contract, as well as winger Miguel Almiron and centre forward Callum Wilson, who has picked up a back injury early in pre-season.

Eales had also described Howe as “phenomenal” and insisted last week they would reject any approach from the FA to interview the former Bournemouth manager who signed a new long-term contract last summer that does not contain a release clause.

Newcastle’s recruitment plans have been disrupted by the recent changes and it will be fascinating to see how Mitchell and Howe address the main weaknesses in the squad.

A right-sided forward and a right-sided centre-back are the most pressing concerns, while a midfielder and striker will have to be signed if Longstaff and Wilson depart.

Feels like his comments, which I don't think were that bad, were really aimed at YAR who I imagine Howe has no consistent direct line to in reality.

I think Eales is in for a tough year, like. I'd wager AS and MG were a bigger comfort blanket for him than anyone else.

“Player sales have also been discussed and it would appear increasingly certain that England international Kieran Trippier will be sold this summer, with interest from clubs in Saudi Arabia. There are also doubts about midfielder Sean Longstaff, who only has a year left on his contract, as well as winger Miguel Almiron and centre forward Callum Wilson, who has picked up a back injury early in pre-season.”

With all due respect to the players mentioned, it could be a phenomenal window if we can sell those four for decent ‘bunce’ and bring in improvements in two of the positions—perhaps stick with what we have in Midfield and use Longstaff funds elsewhere and Tripper funds/flexibility for a player capable of playing CB/RB (cover).  

Was gagging for his interview to come out the other day. Wish he hadn't bothered now. Rightly or wrongly the way things have been interpreted has created a bit of a cloud around things, and it's fuck all to do with the England job

Edited by jack j

Well, if I take all that as being legit, it sounds pretty positive and the club is handling things well.

Good and unsurprising news. Quite how necessary it was for Howe to go public with this - especially when they were all out there in Germany together - I don't know. All a bit strange but hopefully the lines are drawn and we can press on. 

28 minutes ago, Ben said:

Thank fuck for that, I'm pleased Luke has his finger on the pulse 

That bald cunt couldnt find a pulse on his own wrist

See, I picked up more on the "PSR is shit, we had to sell our promising players because of the bullshit rules" comments (paraphrasing a bit).

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Good and unsurprising news. Quite how necessary it was for Howe to go public with this - especially when they were all out there in Germany together - I don't know. All a bit strange but hopefully the lines are drawn and we can press on. 

I guess he had already asked internally and got nothing concrete back and didn't want to find out he didnt have a veto on players when the transfers started happening. I do find it a bit worrying though he felt a need to send messages to owners through media, doesn't seem very Howe and also doesn't seem good communication internally, albeit I do think Staverley was more hands on than any board member usually is but surely when Mitchell was hired he was given clear lines of authority, why didn't this come to Howe if the answer was no Howe gets final veto on anyone but happy to receive a shortlist? (which feels relatively normal, albeit clubs vary on the veto bit)

That's reassuring. It was very clear from Howe's comments that something wasn't quite right and needed to be sorted out. And on the back of that, they have all met and seem to have figured it all out. That's good communication, even if perhaps it took a little more time than it should have to get everything settled. 

Particularly notable to me was the comment about being happy to sign foreign players, that reads as Howe responding directly to a big criticism of him by some. 

Hopefully this draws a line under the whole thing and we start making the signings we desperately need.

Young Edward wasn't our fog choice, so I couldn't get stressed about it look at the Atlanta manager or the bloke at Girona we might just kick on,it took man city a while,it took the jubilee club 5years to win division B of the North east sunday league ffs

42 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

“Player sales have also been discussed and it would appear increasingly certain that England international Kieran Trippier will be sold this summer, with interest from clubs in Saudi Arabia. There are also doubts about midfielder Sean Longstaff, who only has a year left on his contract, as well as winger Miguel Almiron and centre forward Callum Wilson, who has picked up a back injury early in pre-season.”

With all due respect to the players mentioned, it could be a phenomenal window if we can sell those four for decent ‘bunce’ and bring in improvements in two of the positions—perhaps stick with what we have in Midfield and use Longstaff funds elsewhere and Tripper funds/flexibility for a player capable of playing CB/RB (cover).  

With Miley injured, Tonali banned for 2 games, and Willock not fully training yet, we'd definitely need another CM if we sold Longstaff imo

Though I can't imagine us selling Longstaff, just seems the steady eddie type that a manager would like to have, always fit, follows instructions, homegrown etc etc 

Wouldn't mind being wrong though 🙂

25 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

That bald cunt couldnt find a pulse on his own wrist

Over the, considerable, years I've quoted from a comedy routine (think it was Morecambe and Wise) 

"don't worry, I've got my finger on the pulse" 

"you'll not find a pulse where you keep your finger" 

Hopefully that's a line drawn under everything and we can now get that squad reshaped ready for the season.

I feel a lot better after reading that from Puke!

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Over the, considerable, years I've quoted from a comedy routine (think it was Morecambe and Wise) 

"don't worry, I've got my finger on the pulse" 

"you'll not find a pulse where you keep your finger" 

Absolutely love M&W mind