Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Really? Last season was a failure, and we’re starting off this season with it looking like it’s going to be another failure because we haven’t strengthened, with the added bonus of likely losing our 3 best players next summer.

Point and case - calling a season where finish sixth a failure would have been unspeakable just a few years ago.

A season where a better backup keeper would have seen us into Europe again. Unfortunate or unlucky is a word more appropriate for me than failure.

Edited by Gawalls

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Point and case - calling a season where finish sixth a failure would have been unspeakable just a few years ago.

A season where a better backup keeper would have seen us into Europe again. Unfortunate or unlucky is a word more appropriate for me than failure.

Our objective last season was qualifying for European football, we failed in that objective, therefore the season was a failure. 

7 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Failure is too strong a word - I thought it was a pretty good season, though one which could easily have been really good without that injury-hit disaster period in December.

Where we were a few years ago isn’t relevant to what the expectations should be, though.  Rafa finishing 13th in his final season wasn’t a failure - finishing 13th this season would (correctly) cost Howe his job.  Mike Ashley didn’t spend £500m on transfer fees in two and a bit years.

Also, we finished seventh ;) 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Downie didn’t go as far as to say Eddie refused anyone else and only wanted Guehi, big difference between having a number 1 target and refusing any other alternative.

2:40 and then alluded to throughout as:

- Howe's 'main and only target'

- 'Eddie's done this before with Botman, Isak, Gordon, Tonali'

- 'Eddie's said time and again that a player has to improve the XI, that they're looking at a very small pool of players'

- 'I get the feeling he doesn't want to do that (bring in an alternative), he doesn't want to waste much needed funds that he can use in January on a player that isn't the one that he wants'

- 'time will tell whether they look for someone else'

- 'I think they need to look at someone else, to choose to go into the season with those centre backs is pretty poor management'

- 'it feels like tomorrow will be a very quiet day for Newcastle apart from a couple of outgoings'

Whether he knows something, he's guessing or he's shit stirring, you can fit a fag paper of semantics between what Hope and him have said.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Failure is too strong a word - I thought it was a pretty good season, though one which could easily have been really good without that injury-hit disaster period in December.

Where we were a few years ago isn’t relevant to what the expectations should be, though.  Rafa finishing 13th in his final season wasn’t a failure - finishing 13th this season would (correctly) cost Howe his job.  Mike Ashley didn’t spend £500m on transfer fees in two and a bit years.

Also, we finished seventh ;) 

It’s £500m in two ands a bit years but around £540m in around 16 years 😀 - we were starting so far behind and we’re now seeing that rod on Eddies back that was spoke about earlier on.

I do believe though that Mitchell would love to get Poch in as our next manager though as they have a history.

20 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I said on the day of the takeover to my dad “I wonder how long it will take”, now we know.

is being disappointed at not making an important signing in position we need strengthened deemed as being entitled now? Think everyone wants the club to be in the best position to achieve. I’ve only really seen a couple of posters go beyond basic disappointment. Come Sunday 1:30pm no one will be arsed. Until we lose of course 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

2:40 and then alluded to throughout as:

- Howe's 'main and only target'

- 'Eddie's done this before with Botman, Isak, Gordon, Tonali'

- 'Eddie's said time and again that a player has to improve the XI, that they're looking at a very small pool of players'

- 'I get the feeling he doesn't want to do that (bring in an alternative), he doesn't want to waste much needed funds that he can use in January on a player that isn't the one that he wants'

- 'time will tell whether they look for someone else'

- 'I think they need to look at someone else, to choose to go into the season with those centre backs is pretty poor management'

- 'it feels like tomorrow will be a very quiet day for Newcastle apart from a couple of outgoings'

Whether he knows something, he's guessing or he's shit stirring, you can fit a fag paper of semantics between what Hope and him have said.

Yeah I watched it and I still feel like he’s stopping short of what hope implied. 

Eddies main and only target doesn’t suggest to me that Eddie refused other alternatives mind, I read it as this is the guy Eddie brought forward as the one he wanted. 

the other sentence which starts with “ I get the feeling” can be pretty much ignored imo. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

is being disappointed at not making an important signing in position we need strengthened deemed as being entitled now? Think everyone wants the club to be in the best position to achieve. I’ve only really soon a couple of posters go beyond basic disappointed. Come Sunday 1:30pm no one will be arsed. Until we lose of course 

A few very loud posters always make it seem like way more than it is. I don’t fully agree with you on everything, but you haven’t been unreasonable either. I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to be irritated and disappointed with no incomings to strengthen the squad. I do however think four or five posters have been utterly ridiculous nearly every single time they have chimed in here in the football section.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

You don’t think offering 70m for Guehi (which is an absolute mad Manchester United esque offer) is backing him? 

I think the summer as a whole has let the management team down.

To me backing would have been an offer, negotiation and a second final offer before moving on to the second choice if we can’t afford the first. Not playing around the edges with structures for weeks. We can afford him or not.

17 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah I watched it and I still feel like he’s stopping short of what hope implied. 

Eddies main and only target doesn’t suggest to me that Eddie refused other alternatives mind, I read it as this is the guy Eddie brought forward as the one he wanted. 

the other sentence which starts with “ I get the feeling” can be pretty much ignored imo. 

Agree to disagree then I think because Hope's conjecture that he's 'refused alternatives' and Downie's 'only target/ doesn't want alternatives' is a distinction without a difference imo.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Agree to disagree then I think because Hope's conjecture the he's 'refused alternatives' and Downie's 'only target/ doesn't want alternatives' is a distinction without a difference imo.

Fair enough, maybe I’ve been on the copium anarl? :lol:

I really don’t want to believe Eddie’s refused alternatives for a player who is massively overpriced. 

16 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

It’s £500m in two ands a bit years but around £540m in around 16 years 😀 - we were starting so far behind and we’re now seeing that rod on Eddies back that was spoke about earlier on.

I do believe though that Mitchell would love to get Poch in as our next manager though as they have a history.

He’s missed that boat now

If I may offer a neutral perspective.

Full disclosure: I'm not a Newcastle fan. I have always been a Juventus fan, but liked Newcastle because of similar kits, colors, Shearer and through FM became really invested in the whole first failed takeover, later successful. What also helped the likeness is my fondness for Allegri who was free at the time and through some media linked with Newcastle which I started to follow more and more and now you guys have some of my favorite players in the world. Bruno was heavily linked to Juve before he came to Newcastle, Isak was a monster on FM etc.

I see in your discussions a lot of my discussions from last season with other Juve fans after we got a new sporting director in Cristiano Giuntoli from Napoli. Another parallel between Juve and this situation is that 2 years ago the whole Juve board resigned and left Allegri alone at the club, among them his closest friends and confidants at the club. Staveley and her husband who I understand were huge Howe supporters left the club suddenly. I also convinced myself it would all be fine, Allegri is a people person, he will get along with anyone.

Few months later here comes Giuntoli (who rumors had it didn't like Allegri and vice-versa), but when he came in July of last year it seemed like an idyllic relationship. Giuntoli was full of praise for Allegri, present at every training session, said things like "we have to bring Juve to his level, not the other way around" etc.

Fast forward to the end of the transfer window, we barely signed any players, biggest signing was Timothy Weah for 12m, we lost some veteran players etc. We also convinced ourselves this was because Giuntoli came in late, didn't have time to bring in his own people, didn't have time to sign players etc.

Season starts, we are on pace to break the points record in the league through January. Problem is Inter is a point above the whole time. During the season up to that point Allegri reached some kind of milestone, I think became second for number of wins in the history of the club, but despite good results and publicly fine relationship there were all these rumors about Allegri leaving at the end of the season, his replacements etc. which I always took for "media trying to destabilize the club" etc. After Allegri reached this milestone Giuntoli again publicly said Allegri is there to stay, even went as far as saying Allegri will reach Trapattoni in wins (over 200 wins away).

January comes, both Allegri and some players are publicly pleading with the club to sign some help because they were just one point behind Inter and lost two best midfielders after the transfer window ended in September (Pogba doping and Fagioli betting like Tonali). The whole window goes by, no players are signed again except at the very end Carlos Alcaraz and Tiago Djalo for very cheap. Both are now gone from the club.

After the transfer window in January ends our form plummets. In the end we barely scrap champions league places and rumors are again flying around. We win the cup and in the celebrations after Allegri literally forces Giuntoli off the pitch and prevents him from celebrating with the team. Why? Turns out while the manager and players were publicly pleading for some help by the management in January transfer window in their unlikely title battle Giuntoli was secretly meeting with Thiago Motta to replace Allegri (which he now did) and signing a replacement GK from Monza. Monza's director is a huge Allegri friend, told him all about this and shit hit the fan. Manager and players didn't take it well that the director who was supposed to help them was basically sabotaging the team because he simply wanted to bring in his own people.

Another fast forward to now and literally half the team is gone, Allegri is gone, more board members left, more Giuntoli people came in and we have the highest transfer spend in the history of the club.

I apologize for the long text, but I say all this to say - I have never seen a new boss coming in ending well for the current manager and most of the players. In any sport. I follow NBA a lot as well and every time there is a change in management the coach is fired within 18 months at the MOST.

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't all this toxicity at Newcastle as there was at Juve last season, but I see a lot of parallels between Allegri and Howe, Mitchell and Giuntoli, club unable/unwilling to back the manager etc.

I like Eddie, he did a good job overall since he came, I just think it's more likely he's gone within 6 months than he stays for the next 3 years. It's just the reality of the industry.

Sorry if I annoyed anyone by the long post, by my Eddie statement or the fact I'm not a Newcastle supporter. I just became really disillusioned by the whole Juve situation, by our fan forums which I don't write on anymore and had a need to leave my thoughts somewhere. I like you guys, hope you do well this season.

Edited by ILCAML

Yeah I can’t agree with the whole ‘well we were shit not long ago we need to just accept it’.

You can’t dress up that this window has been an abject failure. It doesn’t mean the season will be, mind. But to not strengthen our XI is bad and actually something that will probably need addressed in January when everyone costs more ££.