Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Our run of home games coming up isn't the kindest.

City, Brighton, Arsenal, West Hal, Liverpool.

tbh I’d rather those now than at the end of the season when all of the above are fighting for spots in Europe or winning the league. Better chance to catch on an off day now than in crunch time during the last 5-10 matches of the season.

44 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Our run of home games coming up isn't the kindest.

City, Brighton, Arsenal, West Hal, Liverpool.

7 points from that lot last season. Would take that if offered it now, I think... Very happy with 8 or 9.

For the full picture, away in the same period is:

Wolves, Fulham, Everton, Chelsea, Forest, Palace.

7 points from 18 last season... Got to be bettering that. 11 points from 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss sounds like a nice enough run for me. I'd be disappointed with less than 9.

Edited by 80

9 hours ago, Sufi said:

tbh I’d rather those now than at the end of the season when all of the above are fighting for spots in Europe or winning the league. Better chance to catch on an off day now than in crunch time during the last 5-10 matches of the season.

It's pretty much the only time in the season you'll get anything against Man City though they've started this season strong which is ominous. 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m sure I thought our fixtures were kind before the season started. 

They are! Just have to make hay while the sun shines. Listing just home or away skews the picture. It's pretty well balanced overall.

When you think you have kind fixtures, they don't always go how you think they should (zero evidence to back that up, so might be my tiny brain being paranoid), so I'm more of a, it doesn't matter who we're playing, just bring them on person.

47 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

When you think you have kind fixtures, they don't always go how you think they should (zero evidence to back that up, so might be my tiny brain being paranoid), so I'm more of a, it doesn't matter who we're playing, just bring them on person.

The fixture list can be unkind by piling difficult games close together and at start of season, or christmas time or in the final run. I don't quite buy that if they are clustered together at anytime that makes it unkind, in fact the opposite, the trick is surely to make sure your run of good form coincides with the run of difficult games, if the difficult games are spread completely evenly out it is impossible to do this. 

A big area of concern for me is making sure our poor away form from last season is arrested. We are clearly undercooked, Howe said himself Gordon was playing himself back to fitness which is less than ideal. Once the squad is fit St James will remain a fearsome place for any squad in the league to visit and we will earn decent points throughout the season, the unkind away fixtures pilling together will risk momentum, if such a thing really exists anyway.

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

The fixture list can be unkind by piling difficult games close together and at start of season, or christmas time or in the final run. I don't quite buy that if they are clustered together at anytime that makes it unkind, in fact the opposite, the trick is surely to make sure your run of good form coincides with the run of difficult games, if the difficult games are spread completely evenly out it is impossible to do this. 

A big area of concern for me is making sure our poor away form from last season is arrested. We are clearly undercooked, Howe said himself Gordon was playing himself back to fitness which is less than ideal. Once the squad is fit St James will remain a fearsome place for any squad in the league to visit and we will earn decent points throughout the season, the unkind away fixtures pilling together will risk momentum, if such a thing really exists anyway.

As you say with us being undercooked as Howe is indicating, I do get there's a good or bad time to play someone, helped by an 'easier' run of fixtures, but there's so many variables that could happen as you get to those fixtures, you have no injuries, they do, suspensions etc. Obviously you want to be on form, as you also pointed out, especially away for us.  it's just not something I don't get hung upon really.

Edited by Bimpy474

10 minutes ago, Thorpinho said:

Is Hope a Newcastle fan? I know he lives up here. The way he goes on is laughable, but then again what do you expect from that paper. 

He’s always said, in fairness to him, that he is a journalist first and a fan second. 

On 03/09/2024 at 23:59, Sufi said:

Well, that works both ways, doesn't it? They could also argue that theh are happy to play us away now, for the very same reason.

Edited by Erikse

5 hours ago, Thorpinho said:

Is Hope a Newcastle fan? I know he lives up here. The way he goes on is laughable, but then again what do you expect from that paper. 

He’s a click fan and he’ll twist the truth to whatever angle that gets most clicks! Integrity isn’t key here. 

KEEP YOUR ED 

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe gets backing from key club chief as behind-the-scenes dispute with transfer guru grows

Members of Howe's coaching staff have had concerns about new sporting director Paul Mitchell

Matt Hughes

Published: 22:47, 5 Sep 2024

NEWCASTLE chief executive Darren Eales has backed Eddie Howe in his dispute with new sporting director Paul Mitchell.

The pair have clashed over transfers and the team’s playing style since Mitchell was appointed in July, with Eales understood to have given his full support to Toon boss Howe.

Newcastle's new sporting director Paul Mitchell is in a dispute with HoweCredit: Getty

And an interview published yesterday in which Mitchell criticised the recruitment and scouting departments is believed to have inflamed the existing tensions.

His failure to say that Newcastle would fight to keep hold of Howe if he is offered the England job also raised eyebrows at the club.

One source questioned if all three could continue working together.

Howe and Mitchell are believed to have got off on the wrong foot in July.

A meeting between Mitchell and the players also went badly, while several members of Howe’s coaching staff also expressed concerns at his combative approach.

Howe has been a huge success at Newcastle, saving them from relegation before achieving Champions League qualification in his second season.

However, he has had a difficult summer and was unimpressed by Mitchell’s transfer dealings.

He failed to sign No 1 target Marc Guehi or the right winger Howe requested.

CEO Darren Eales has put his support behind Newcastle boss HoweCredit: Getty

Howe has privately expressed frustration at the limited incomings  — while Mitchell blamed the manager for his inflexibility over targets.

Despite the off-field struggles, Newcastle have started their Premier League campaign with seven points out of nine.

They kicked off with a 1-0 victory against Southampton, before drawing 1-1 with Bournemouth.

Howe's men then went into the international break with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Tottenham at St James' Park.

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

KEEP YOUR ED 

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe gets backing from key club chief as behind-the-scenes dispute with transfer guru grows

Members of Howe's coaching staff have had concerns about new sporting director Paul Mitchell

Matt Hughes

Published: 22:47, 5 Sep 2024

NEWCASTLE chief executive Darren Eales has backed Eddie Howe in his dispute with new sporting director Paul Mitchell.

The pair have clashed over transfers and the team’s playing style since Mitchell was appointed in July, with Eales understood to have given his full support to Toon boss Howe.

Newcastle's new sporting director Paul Mitchell is in a dispute with HoweCredit: Getty

And an interview published yesterday in which Mitchell criticised the recruitment and scouting departments is believed to have inflamed the existing tensions.

His failure to say that Newcastle would fight to keep hold of Howe if he is offered the England job also raised eyebrows at the club.

One source questioned if all three could continue working together.

Howe and Mitchell are believed to have got off on the wrong foot in July.

A meeting between Mitchell and the players also went badly, while several members of Howe’s coaching staff also expressed concerns at his combative approach.

Howe has been a huge success at Newcastle, saving them from relegation before achieving Champions League qualification in his second season.

However, he has had a difficult summer and was unimpressed by Mitchell’s transfer dealings.

He failed to sign No 1 target Marc Guehi or the right winger Howe requested.

CEO Darren Eales has put his support behind Newcastle boss HoweCredit: Getty

Howe has privately expressed frustration at the limited incomings  — while Mitchell blamed the manager for his inflexibility over targets.

Despite the off-field struggles, Newcastle have started their Premier League campaign with seven points out of nine.

They kicked off with a 1-0 victory against Southampton, before drawing 1-1 with Bournemouth.

Howe's men then went into the international break with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Tottenham at St James' Park.

What a load of shite