Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Don't worry. Your opinion is worthless so I have no reason to read what you say. It's a happy place, more people should follow suit. 

Good for you. I'm glad.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yes please.

Both you and your friend that recommended it.

Thanks.

:lol:

I absolutely won't put you on ignore.

You do realise this is a place of discussion around varying points of view. Right?

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Heron said:

I absolutely won't put you on ignore.

You do realise this is a place of discussion around varying points of view. Right?

Maybe you should tell that to the person that recommended it to you, whose feelings are hurt.

In any case I have nothing more to say on this matter.

You can both do as you please. I'm not bothered in the slightest.

Just now, KaKa said:

Maybe you should tell that to the person that recommended it to you, whose feelings are hurt.

In any case I have nothing more to say on this matter.

You can both do as you please. I'm not bothered in the slightest.

He hasn't put me on ignore (to my knowledge) so I'm sure he'll see it. :lol:

If not then...we know what's happened :lol:

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The burning question remains though:

who’s dad is hardest?

Could see Heron snr dishing a few Leazes levellers out back in the day 

6 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Could see Heron snr dishing a few Leazes levellers out back in the day 

Meh. Soft as shite. Big hands though. Mitchell and Howe currently debating if he should be signed to replace Pope. Heard Howe has the blocks on it though ;) :lol:

Something needs to change, at least away from home, like. What that something is I’m not sure. 

Two things I’ve thought a fair bit this season is a) we’ve been worked out as to how we attack and it’s showed even if we do still make a couple of very decent chances per game at least and b) we’re very one paced and it shows up in a horrendous fashion when Gordon isn’t on the field. That coupled with not having anyone who’s going to put a defender on their arse means our quick passing and movement has to be nailed on and it isn’t which again makes us easier to defend against. 

Would a change of system work? 4-2-3-1 would surely make us look a little more solid away from home but we don’t necessarily have anyone suited to it. Wing backs would put a lot of strain on Hall and Tino and are they good enough plus the third CB would likely be a yuge downgrade on the midfielder or attacker you drop to put them in. 

Decisions decisions.

23 minutes ago, Disco said:

Something needs to change, at least away from home, like. What that something is I’m not sure. 

Two things I’ve thought a fair bit this season is a) we’ve been worked out as to how we attack and it’s showed even if we do still make a couple of very decent chances per game at least and b) we’re very one paced and it shows up in a horrendous fashion when Gordon isn’t on the field. That coupled with not having anyone who’s going to put a defender on their arse means our quick passing and movement has to be nailed on and it isn’t which again makes us easier to defend against. 

Would a change of system work? 4-2-3-1 would surely make us look a little more solid away from home but we don’t necessarily have anyone suited to it. Wing backs would put a lot of strain on Hall and Tino and are they good enough plus the third CB would likely be a yuge downgrade on the midfielder or attacker you drop to put them in. 

Decisions decisions.

I think you've identified the issues well. Unfortunately we haven't built our squad in a manner which suits a 4231. 

We might be able to get away with Tonali and Bruno as Pivots but we have absolutely nobody capable of playing as the 10 and the right flank is still going to be honking. We've built our squad to solely play this 433 which is probably another factor in the panic stations we are seeing on her. We can't change it up well if we want to because our recruitment has been focused on our current system. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Expectations are unrealistic given the squad we have and the PSR restrictions neither of which is the manager's fault.  The Howe cycle average is probably exactly where we should be.

We’re three years in and hundreds of millions spent.  Howe does have some responsibility for the current squad if it isn’t good enough.  Failure to buy a right winger or a centre half with pace in those three years can’t just be blamed on PSR - the money was available to spend. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’re three years in and hundreds of millions spent.  Howe does have some responsibility for the current squad if it isn’t good enough.  Failure to buy a right winger or a centre half with pace in those three years can’t just be blamed on PSR - the money was available to spend. 

agreed.

Howe has been brilliant overall but big money has been spent. Barnes is a baffling signing for one.

5 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

They waltzed through us time after time, we just didn't get punished and ruthlessly exploited their high line.

Momentum and confidence covered over the issues at the start of last season (other than against Brighton) but they were definitely there.

That's absolutely mental take.

Nyttkuva2024-10-28011753.thumb.jpg.34889d5ac930199b0807d9336a3c67d4.jpg

It's criminal that after 3 years, Murphy and Almiron are still the first choice right wingers. Instead 40 million has been spent on a squad player in Barnes. It's also highly noticeable that other managers have worked out the 433 lineup and are confident (or should I say certain), that this formation will not only start the game, but will not change during the match at any time.

I'm far from convinced that Joelington, Bruno and Tonali are suited to playing together, too much of a like for like scenario, missing pace and creativity. Longstaff is another like Murphy and Almiron, who should have been moved on.

I was laughing last season when some on here were spitting their dummies out, when I suggested that Howe was under pressure this season - he was then and he certainly is now. I would love nothing better for Howe to find the solutions, but I'm not convinced he will, as he is so stubborn in his formations and tactics. We had a really good set of games from the start of the season and here we are sitting in 12th position.

If this form continues then he will be gone before the January transfer window, as the owners will want a new manager to have the input into the January window. If he does survive January and doesn't qualify for the Europa League at least, then he will certainly be gone imo. The owners will not stand for that for a second season in a row, as it massively reduces the level of revenue and commercial sponsorship coming into the club. The fact that Howe and Mitchell are not seemingly on the same page is also a massive issue.

Won’t be popular with our away ends either but there’s questions over Tonali as well. He’s either been banned for betting or bang average in his time here so far.

Save for the opening day last season and the forest cup game this.

There’s £95m or so between him and Barnes.

Edited by lovejoy

9 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

Won’t be popular with our away ends either but there’s questions over Tonali as well. He’s either been banned for betting or bang average in his time here so far.

r/r was always obviously terrible on the Barnes and Tonali transfers. That is not how you close massive financial disparity with skill. 

Edited by Jagten

25 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Expectations are unrealistic given the squad we have and the PSR restrictions neither of which is the manager's fault.  The Howe cycle average is probably exactly where we should be.

Expecting us to have an identity and game plan is not unrealistic. 

9 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

he played a role in our goal - but I don't get where he fits in our system. But that goes for our whole midfield three - were none existent in that 1st half

24 minutes ago, Pata said:

That's absolutely mental take.

Nyttkuva2024-10-28011753.thumb.jpg.34889d5ac930199b0807d9336a3c67d4.jpg

All I'm saying is that the issues that we have with being too easy to play through were apparent to me when I was watching that match.

That doesn't mean I'm saying we didn't play well, but that fundamental systematic issue it's pretty much universally acknowledged (outside of Eddie's office) we have now was also apparent back then, with essentially the same personnel, hardly controversial take.

Why do you think so many people were calling us to sign a natural No.6 in that transfer window and the one before even? This is not a new issue.

I’m honestly wondering if I watched a different match to most people. Are we really expecting now to go to Stamford Bridge and dominate against an in form Chelsea that have spent infinite money lately? We were pretty much equal with them and on a different day walk away with 1 or 3 points. We pressed them high and caused all kinds of problems to them. It wasn’t perfect but we’re not Man City. Yet I see so many call that performance unacceptable, limp or lacking in everything.

There’s been a significant uptick in performances since Man City and we’ve deserved so much more from those matches after the lacklustre start to the season. Individual errors and key players not performing like they should is the main problem right now and leading to unfavourable results. I’m confident we’ll beat Chelsea at home and will cause problems to Arsenal. Honestly should just stay away from here after a bad result, the knee-jerking is embarrassing even after a decent performance like today or Brighton last week.

Edited by Pata

Without touching on what negative effects the transfers, coaching, injuries, tactics or anything else might have had, we lost that intangible feeling of everyone being in it together over the summer. Staveley and Mehrdad leaving, tensions within the new setup, players apparently being offered to other clubs for PSR reasons - all of that upset whatever momentum was left after last season (not much admittedly). It feels like a completely different club, with a completely different feeling around the place, to the season we finished 4th.

But the transfers, coaching, injuries and tactics can and should all rightly be questioned, even ridiculed at this point.