Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No idea. But our approach wasn’t working from minute 1. And we just stuck with it.  

I mean there's barely a team in the world that can cause City many problems no matter the approach especially at the Etihad

Just now, joeyt said:

I mean there's barely a team in the world that can cause City many problems no matter the approach especially at the Etihad

Different line up. But Sevilla caused City a lot of problems mid week. 

We caused them a lot of problems away last season too. 

Losing is fine. But if it was a boxing match we maybe won 1 round  at the very end at best.  Dominated start to finish. Last time it was a far more even game. 

21 minutes ago, joeyt said:

What would you have done if you were him? Play Longstaff instead of Gordon and packed the midfield even more?

could have, imo, played Almiron narrower (in the same kind of position Foden played) rather than as a conventional winger. Might have given Isak more of a link.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Different line up. But Sevilla caused City a lot of problems mid week. 

We caused them a lot of problems away last season too. 

Losing is fine. But if it was a boxing match we maybe won 1 round  at the very end at best.  Dominated start to finish. Last time it was a far more even game. 

City played much better tonight though, thought they were excellent. That has an impact 

They played their first match at home under the lights. That not have anything additional? 

If we’re at home it’s a different match, ala last season. If it’s away from home like last season we were deep into the season - so hard to compare this versus last. It’s not comparable.  

Edited by Kanji

I don’t like @The College Dropoutbut sometimes he hasn’t half dour mind. 

They are simple much better than us compare the payroll and squad cost to get an idea of this. The whole tiredness from midweek was totally overplayed given it’s the second game of the season as well. 

Howe rightfully said we want to impose our own style on other teams which is basically the approach taken by most big clubs and I’m here for it. 

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s this pass between defence and midfield that is constantly on for smart opposition and good players. 

If we are to become a top side.  We need to deal with it better. 

Agreed on how easy it was for them to find Foden. I think we were more worried about Haaland and what they’d do to us from wide that we didn’t really set up to stifle their central midfield. If you look at how teams try to suffocate Bruno now,

we needed to do that but to Foden. However, Foden’s pretty much the best player in the league after De Bruyne and he’s not normally allowed a free role centrally so I completely understand why he was free to receive the ball so much yesterday 

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

Fair play, just my opinion on Foden. I think if he’s fit all season he gets player of the season this year 

Pep said some stuff about where he would play Foden this season as the assumption was he would replace Mahrez on the right. Basically said that wasn’t the intention, if he plays him in the role he had last night he will have an incredible season 

The thing is I don't think he needs to change too much, it's just a case of getting better players into the system and the results will follow - I think he's got the mentality of the team in an incredibly strong place.

Edited by Thumbheed

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

The thing is I don't think he needs to change too much, it's just a case of getting better players into the system and the results will follow - I think he's got the mentality of the team in an incredibly strong place.

I agree in a general sense, and there's real cause for optimism that we can continue to progress this season and silence some of the pessimists who believed our performance level would drop off substantially this year.

I would say though that a game which plays out in the manner that yesterday's did is not purely a question of personnel. That was systematic domination. 

They're the best team in the world for a reason, finding tactical solutions against them under Pep is just about the greatest challenge any coach can face right now. But if Howe is here for the long-term, as we all hope he will be, it is one metric (among many) against which he will be judged. 

4 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Pep said some stuff about where he would play Foden this season as the assumption was he would replace Mahrez on the right. Basically said that wasn’t the intention, if he plays him in the role he had last night he will have an incredible season 

Wish Southgate could build England's side around Bellingham and Foden playing together in midfield. Obviously being played wide under Pep is totally different to being stuck out on the wing for Bruce et al, but always baffled me why Foden is always played wide. Remember watching probably one of his first games, and Pep played him LB away to someone like Kiev. 

If he played for any of the 19 other PL clubs - he'd be a stand out player. KDB being injured and no Gundogan, and last nights performance will increase his profile and attention he'll get.

2 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

I agree in a general sense, and there's real cause for optimism that we can continue to progress this season and silence some of the pessimists who believed our performance level would drop off substantially this year.

I would say though that a game which plays out in the manner that yesterday's did is not purely a question of personnel. That was systematic domination. 

They're the best team in the world for a reason, finding tactical solutions against them under Pep is just about the greatest challenge any coach can face right now. But if Howe is here for the long-term, as we all hope he will be, it is one metric (among many) against which he will be judged. 

I agree, yesterday was not all about the personnel available. But I dont blame Howe to much either. Was sort of like rock facing scissors.