Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Murphy-Almiron-Gordon behind the striker looked canny interesting for some brief minutes [emoji38]

Miggy can thrive in that 10 role if you ask me. And it can be incredibly fluid. With Isak in front, we could see something. I just don’t think the gaffer will change the system to accommodate a 10 (or a DM which everyone seems to be clamoring for). 

8 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

We usually come back from a defeat, much more intense and punped. Wolves and Man Utd better watch out. 

I'd say its abit the opposite. One loss seems to bring 2 or 3 then we go on a mad winning streak

1 hour ago, jack j said:

I'd say its abit the opposite. One loss seems to bring 2 or 3 then we go on a mad winning streak

Yep.  Usually short sticky patches then back to kicking arse again.  Hopefully this isn’t what’s happening - I think we just lost to a really good side in a match where we could still have gotten a result despite not playing at our best. 

3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Miggy can thrive in that 10 role if you ask me. And it can be incredibly fluid. With Isak in front, we could see something. I just don’t think the gaffer will change the system to accommodate a 10 (or a DM which everyone seems to be clamoring for). 

I think Almiron isn’t smart enough as a footballer to play as a 10 effectively.  He’s all high energy and commitment, but I wouldn’t describe him as an intelligent or cute footballer. 

Would love to see over the season if the 4-2-3-1 that was tried in the second half last night works as an alternative formation for us. Sadly I suspect its success hinges on having two good passing midfielders - and with Tonali about to be out, that may well spell an end to it. 

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think Almiron isn’t smart enough as a footballer to play as a 10 effectively.  He’s all high energy and commitment, but I wouldn’t describe him as an intelligent or cute footballer. 

That’s a hot take man.

He's absolutely “smart” enough for that role. 

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

That’s a hot take man.

Maybe as a second striker ghosting into positions like a Dele Alli. But he's not the ability to play as a traditional 10. Turning on the ball, cute passes, perfectly weighted. That's not his game.

Closest we have is Isak and he's injured. 

Edited by The College Dropout

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Almiron played that role quite well under Rafa.

He played on the left of a 3-4-3 under Benitez; him, Rondon and Perez. He's only ever played as a 10 for us a handful of times, most of those under Stephen Roger funnily enough. 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He played on the left of a 3-4-3 under Benitez; him, Rondon and Perez. He's only ever played as a 10 for us a handful of times, most of those under Stephen Roger funnily enough. 

My memory of they time is quite blurry. I recall him playing through the middle quite regularly at one point.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

My memory of they time is quite blurry. I recall him playing through the middle quite regularly at one point.

Aye was almost always on the left of the 3-4-3 under Benitez. Bruce moved to a 4-4-1-1 for the games just before and just after COVID in 2019-20 but was only a handful of games.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Thought Eddie got done by the BVB manager. And probably started the wrong XI in hindsight.

I think he'll improve for the return fixture.

In what way ? I thought it was a very open game and we had lots of chances, they took one of theirs and we didn't. Had we won took a chance like they did would you be saying their coach hot done by Eddie even if the game was 99% tge same.

What I'm saying is are you saying  that because if the result rather than the match ?

The next 2+ weeks are going to be very tough. No Tonali, no Murphy, I'm assuming no Isak, and maybe no Botman for some of it. After an intense effort last night we have:

2 days off

Wolves (a)

3 days off

Man Utd (a)

2 days off

Arsenal (h)

2 days off

Dortmund (a)

3 days off

Bournemouth (a)

4 minutes ago, madras said:

In what way ? I thought it was a very open game and we had lots of chances, they took one of theirs and we didn't. Had we won took a chance like they did would you be saying their coach hot done by Eddie even if the game was 99% tge same.

What I'm saying is are you saying  that because if the result rather than the match ?

Their game plan worked very well in the first half.  If they were clinical they would’ve scored at least twice.  They kept finding space behind Trippier.  The RW kept getting at Burn 1v1 with success.  They overloaded central areas when attacking. 

If we went in at HT 0-0 we would’ve been the happier with the score line.  The goal was gutting because we almost got away with it. 

Injuries didn’t help. We landed some punches with Isak on the pitch but without him in the first half it was either even or Dortmund.  

Second half I was distracted with life stuff. But we huffed and puffed and only created 1 good chance.  We were unlucky that we hit the bar twice but they came from a set piece that deflected off a shoulder and another deflected shot. It didn’t come from quality play or successful patterns of play. I think our general pressure meant that we probably deserved the draw. 

Everything kind of went slightly to Dortmunds favour. Tactics, injuries, fitness, individual performances etc. 

You’d expect everything in Dortmunds favour to be fair. They are a principal Champions League team, whereas we have had 1 good season that has put us in the same league. 
We are still massively over performing at this stage of our development but there’s an element of entitlement creeping into our fanbase based on 1 good season. 

7 minutes ago, RS said:

You’d expect everything in Dortmunds favour to be fair. They are a principal Champions League team, whereas we have had 1 good season that has put us in the same league. 
We are still massively over performing at this stage of our development but there’s an element of entitlement creeping into our fanbase based on 1 good season. 

At our best we beat them.  From that angle I’m a little disappointed.  Chelsea beat them over 2 legs this year. They aren’t an elite team.  

full perspective everything you say is true regarding Dortmund. I’ve not seen anyone act entitled to beating them though. 

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Their game plan worked very well in the first half.  If they were clinical they would’ve scored at least twice.  They kept finding space behind Trippier.  The RW kept getting at Burn 1v1 with success.  They overloaded central areas when attacking. 

If we went in at HT 0-0 we would’ve been the happier with the score line.  The goal was gutting because we almost got away with it. 

Injuries didn’t help. We landed some punches with Isak on the pitch but without him in the first half it was either even or Dortmund.  

Second half I was distracted with life stuff. But we huffed and puffed and only created 1 good chance.  We were unlucky that we hit the bar twice but they came from a set piece that deflected off a shoulder and another deflected shot. It didn’t come from quality play or successful patterns of play. I think our general pressure meant that we probably deserved the draw. 

Everything kind of went slightly to Dortmunds favour. Tactics, injuries, fitness, individual performances etc. 

Got to disagree. If we'd been more clinical we'd have scored from equally as good chances. After the first 15mins or so we started to dominate and Gordon had his marker beaten on the inside every time (should have let fly from the edge of the box a couple of times on that wet pitch). They played the nicer on the eye stuff but we were equally as effective apart from one goal and some very iffy officiating.

12 hours ago, cubaricho said:

That’s a hot take man.

We’ll have to agree to disagree :)

I don’t think Miggy is an intelligent footballer (I don’t have a clue if he’s intelligent generally, of course).  If we were listing Almiron’s strengths, how many adjectives would we list before we start getting to ‘visionary’, ‘alert’, or ‘subtle’?

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree :)

I don’t think Miggy is an intelligent footballer (I don’t have a clue if he’s intelligent generally, of course).  If we were listing Almiron’s strengths, how many adjectives would we list before we start getting to ‘visionary’, ‘alert’, or ‘subtle’?

He has intelligent movement. Presses intelligently. He doesn't have the technical ability for me to know if he's intelligent with the ball. He spends so much time getting it on the left foot and rarely disguises a pass.

22 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I thought so too. Perez was used as a pressing forward, Rondon target man & Almiron as an attacking midfielder set up a bit like:

----------Rondon----Perez----------

---------------Almiron---------------

With our wing backs providing the width.

45 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He has intelligent movement. Presses intelligently. He doesn't have the technical ability for me to know if he's intelligent with the ball. He spends so much time getting it on the left foot and rarely disguises a pass.

Being intelligent with the ball and first rate spacial awareness are two things which Almiron hasn’t shown so far.  He’s best served staying where he is. 

45 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I thought so too. Perez was used as a pressing forward, Rondon target man & Almiron as an attacking midfielder set up a bit like:

----------Rondon----Perez----------

---------------Almiron---------------

With our wing backs providing the width.

Fully fit Rondon vs. Wilson/Isak currently?

Canny play Rafa - I'd have Schar, Botman and have Hall bein that LCB/CM/LM linke Man City do with Lewis.

I'm not a body language expert but I do have a passing interest in the subject, Eddie has a little "tell" during press conferences....

He uses what's called an "adaptor" during certain questions. An adaptor is kind of a comforting technique, which we all do when we are under a bit of stress or anxiety.

Eddie uses his index finger to scratch is face as an adaptor. Have a look when he's asked about Matt Targetts chance of first team football.

Now I'm not saying he being deceptive but I'd suggest he's probably aware of the delicate issue regarding one of his players not playing as much as he'd like. 

Keep an eye out for it. Its not an exact science because people will have all kinds of thoughts going on in their head but I'd say that it's fairly certain in this case. 

I find this stuff kind of neat. [emoji38]