Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, Sima said:

The England job isn’t a top tier job anymore.

Just look who currently has it for evidence.  I’ve got absolutely zero concern that Howe will take it, it doesn’t suit his style of management.

Bruce would love it with all of the time off it brings.

I agree re the style of work but I wouldn't be so certain that there'd be zero appeal to him. I've no idea if he shares the same patriotic ideals as the likes of Southgate but, regardless, winning a tournament with England would surely be one of the greatest achievements possible for any English manager. Therefore it's a tempting opportunity for anyone worth their salt.

I'd have confidence that he'd turn them down should they come knocking, but I don't think it's a given. 

Carsley will be next England manager IMO. The most important thing to the FA is continuity. They’ve got the ex Brighton Academy head in the u19s who will step up to the u21s. 

You promote from within so the players know the manager and he plays a similar style to the first team, makes up for the lack of time on the training pitch. 

The England job is anathema to how Eddie operates. 

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think any English manager would be interested in the England job, especially with this group of players. 

It's a step down from a team competing for the CL and a manager in his mid 40's.

I would go for the south-coast Ancelotti. It's not sensible or realistic. But he would line us up something like:

Rice - Bellingham

Saka - Foden - Rashford

Kane

But the sensible choice is Potter, Carsley or another FA man.

Edited by The College Dropout

21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think any English manager would be interested in the England job, especially with this group of players. 

I don’t think so. It’s a part time job where you don’t have time to prepare and train the players in the style you want. 

I don't think Howe is particularly suited to international management. That's not a criticism, it's just a totally different job. 

One of the biggest reasons for Howe's success is how fit he's managed to make the players. You can't have that kind of impact in international management. Another factor behind his success is working with individual players to improve their tactical understanding. Again, you do not get time to do this in international football.

You basically have to be a politician who gets the media and public onside. It's preferable to be a good tactician who can change games (which is largely where Southgate has fallen down and why he hasn't won a tournament), but I feel like it's not essential to doing well.

3 hours ago, Sima said:

The England job isn’t a top tier job anymore.

Just look who currently has it for evidence.  I’ve got absolutely zero concern that Howe will take it, it doesn’t suit his style of management.

Bruce would love it with all of the time off it brings.

Agree it doesn’t suit Howes obsessive style with all the time off. 

Disagree that’s it’s not a top (international) job though, look at the playing talent at Englands disposal. To the right manager at the right time it would absolutely appeal as a top tier job, it’s one of if not the best international squad in the world right now.

Edited by Nine

I think the FA sees Howe as the perfect manager to succeed Southgate.

Fortunately for us, he's a workaholic, and couldn't sit around doing nothing between  friendlies and the odd qualifier.

Aye, it's not a job for a young manager like Howe, it also has the potential to ruin your career early.

Southgate's got the job & is delighted to be in it as he isn't getting a better one. He's a smoggy level manager which no top half Prem club would go near.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Maybe when he's in his late-50s/60s but I doubt he'd want that job yet. Even after us he'll have 2-3 very good jobs at club level available to him. 

Frankly I'm hoping that after us he just retires due to old age.