Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Has there really been people here “turning” on Eddie or has there been any mention that someone would want him sacked? I am sure there is because people have mentioned it, but it seems also that any small criticism is taken as turning on him. I don’t use twitter so don’t have a clue about that.

I have stated before that his time here has been an absolute miracle, and he has so much in the bank that we could be in a relegation battle this season and I would never turn on him at any way. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind – he will take us to the very top.

Injury crisis has been incredible, so yeah what can you do? Despite that there have been many good results and performances (Man Utd, Chelsea, PSG). But then again, the defeats last week and the performances were really, really bad.

I just think it was a strange decision to keep the same team through all the games. There is no way that someone like Tripps could play 3 times in a week at 33 years. To have a chance at Spurs, then surely he had to try and rotate even the little he could? For example Krafu, Dummett and Hall did well in the Cup at Old Trafford, so why could they not be given more minutes at Everton? Or just throw in few of the “kids” there, just to give some rest to some of the exhausted players? It is not like the performances could have been much worse, and then we maybe would have had a bit more energy left going against Milan.

I just don’t know, and as always Eddie knows the ins and outs of every player.

But that is that. I just did not quite get what he was trying to do, in no way am I turning on him.

Was so glad to see Wilson and Longstaff back. Things are getting better. Let’s hope they are ready to start against Milan. Onwards and upwards.

9 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Love the fact he’s not coming out with excuses. 99% of managers would not behave the way Eddie is right now. Just look at Ten Haag, getting excuses  in early before our game. 

I loved Moyes after getting spooned 5-0. Blamed Fulham getting 1 more day rest, bad decisions and all sorts. Surely at 5-0 you accept you got pumped.

Just now, TaylorJ_01 said:

I loved Moyes after getting spooned 5-0. Blamed Fulham getting 1 more day rest, bad decisions and all sorts. Surely at 5-0 you accept you got pumped.

The Athletic reported the whole squad including Moyes was dealing with an illness. Not sure how valid it is.

Wonder how he plays the next couple of games, assuming that there are no more injuries (lol) and we can at least get Barnes back for the next 2. 

Feels too risky to chuck in the returners in from the start for either match so hoping for super sub situations to help see us through and gain some %ages back for the knackered lads. 

2 hours ago, soyt said:

Has there really been people here “turning” on Eddie or has there been any mention that someone would want him sacked? I am sure there is because people have mentioned it, but it seems also that any small criticism is taken as turning on him. I don’t use twitter so don’t have a clue about that.

I have stated before that his time here has been an absolute miracle, and he has so much in the bank that we could be in a relegation battle this season and I would never turn on him at any way. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind – he will take us to the very top.

Injury crisis has been incredible, so yeah what can you do? Despite that there have been many good results and performances (Man Utd, Chelsea, PSG). But then again, the defeats last week and the performances were really, really bad.

I just think it was a strange decision to keep the same team through all the games. There is no way that someone like Tripps could play 3 times in a week at 33 years. To have a chance at Spurs, then surely he had to try and rotate even the little he could? For example Krafu, Dummett and Hall did well in the Cup at Old Trafford, so why could they not be given more minutes at Everton? Or just throw in few of the “kids” there, just to give some rest to some of the exhausted players? It is not like the performances could have been much worse, and then we maybe would have had a bit more energy left going against Milan.

I just don’t know, and as always Eddie knows the ins and outs of every player.

But that is that. I just did not quite get what he was trying to do, in no way am I turning on him.

Was so glad to see Wilson and Longstaff back. Things are getting better. Let’s hope they are ready to start against Milan. Onwards and upwards.

My sentiments exactly - I wanted Howe before he came and still do but the way he handles trippers minutes is insane to me. He tried something different and rested him for the two cup games and it worked yet he won’t repeat it in the league.

this is my one and only criticism of him though.

I think the time to rest Trips was early against Sheff U when we went 4 up. Or at home to Burnley. And could've kept him at home in the league cup games. Even yesterday, once it got to 3-0 he should've taken Trippier off. IIRC that might have saved him from the suspension. But he's consistently shown, he doesn't like subbing, resting or rotating Trippier/Burn even with decent backups on the bench.

But away matches in the PL - I fully understand playing the strongest team. And not throwing in the towel at 2-0. A goal could change everything. I don't think many top managers rest Trippier at Everton.

Edited by The College Dropout

Howe is doing a brillaint job however eaten bread is soon forgotten. 

Other supporters and some sections of the media also desperate to see Newcastle owners pull the trigger. 

Beat Milan and Fulham this week then a few players back and everything will seem rosy again. 

Just now, Ginola14 said:

Howe is doing a brillaint job however eaten bread is soon forgotten. 

Other supporters and some sections of the media also desperate to see Newcastle owners pull the trigger. 

Beat Milan and Fulham this week then a few players back and everything will seem rosy again. 

And I think we will win both.

If there is a silver lining from the injury pileup, it's the emergence of Tino and Miley. There's still a chance for Hall to stake his claim too, all it takes is a good showing next Saturday to get the ball rolling.

If that Wolves game was played now and it was the same situation at 65 minutes, I don't think Howe would have any qualms about chucking Tino in now to help shore things up or subbing in Miley if we're looking leggy in the middle. 

Still firmly behind him (and I can't really see us getting results so bad that that'll change over a period of time).
He's obviously a darn good manager who's also learning and growing along with the rest of the club.

There are still aspects that needs changing though - but that'll come over the next few windows. We don't have the type of squad to contain other teams or control games through possession to give us a breather. As others (as well as myself) have said - we are at our best when pressing high, keeping the intensity up and in the opponents' faces. When we either can't or won't do that we're not that good. Couple that with an injury list from hell and the fatigue it brings you'll get the performances and results from Everton and Spurs away.

Wouldn't shock me though to see us turning both Milan and Fulham over this week. Get us some more bodies back and maybe strengthen a position or two (GK seems like no-brainer unfortunately for Pope) and we'll be fine after New Year's.

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

If there is a silver lining from the injury pileup, it's the emergence of Tino and Miley. There's still a chance for Hall to stake his claim too, all it takes is a good showing next Saturday to get the ball rolling.

It’ll be Krath RB next Sat.

39 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I reckon Longstaff might start in the CL.

And I would give Cal 45 minutes as well. Isak doesn't look capable of playing for longer than that.

I'd start them both with the aim of 45-60 mins.

Better warm up, get to feel the game intensity from the off etc. Seems riskier to bring them on second half.

If Barnes is fit then I'd do the opposite though and give him 20 mins at the end as he's had no football for a long time

A lot of people on here seem very reluctant to question anything about EH, his tactics, his approach, and anyone that does gets pelters for it. I don't want to be part of a forum where you can only express certain things with one line of opinion. It sounds crap!

He's an incredible manager with the mindset and character to get even better, but he cannot be completely beyond reproach.

Legitimate criticisms:

We absolutely do not have a plan B. If your plan A is totally ineffective when your players are fatigued (everyone's favourite word), have a Plan B that conserves what energy they do have. He's more than tactically astute enough to come up with one.

Sit deeper, sit tighter, play on the counter. Just do something different from a tactical and game management point of view because it's clear this fatigue will be a recurring theme all season. And there is a risk of it becoming an excuse.

We've been caught out a few times from our own attacking set pieces. One shit Trippier delivery led to an overloaded counter attack that resulted in a goal. It almost happened again yesterday, but for a Lascelles rugby tackle. Have more men back so this doesn't happen. This is absolutely something the manager can control. There is statistically a 2% chance of scoring from a corner in the PL. It doesn't make sense to take the risk of having minimal players back.

Rotate players. You might not rate them but it gives the players you do rate a chance to recover, so they can effectively execute plan A. Now they've played another two games in a week and they'll be dead on their feet against Milan. I'm sure he has his reasons but we've been thumped two games running. Whatever those reasons were look a bit short sighted now. 

I understand people are protective of the manager, but some of these things are obvious. He has so much leeway in the bank it's untrue and no one in their right mind would want him gone, but that doesn't mean everything he is doing is right and everything we are seeing is wrong. 

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I'd start them both with the aim of 45-60 mins.

Better warm up, get to feel the game intensity from the off etc. Seems riskier to bring them on second half.

If Barnes is fit then I'd do the opposite though and give him 20 mins at the end as he's had no football for a long time

Eddie was asked about Barnes in the post game conference and said he wasn't close yet not sure how true that is. 

I've seen some folks questioning the impact our style of play has had in relation to injuries etc etc and whether it's played it's part in the significant fatigue we've now got across the team/squad.

All very valid to raise as a concern but, you know what, I love the way we play when we get it right.

That aggressive press, in your face, physical, positive approach with a pinch of housery. Love it.

I'd far rather run these lads into the ground and maintain the approach as change it in the face of adversity/tiredness. The way that many other managers before have done the minute something doesn't work as well or we get a bad run of form.

As soon as we've got another few bodies in the door in January and we're able to manage the returning players from injury, we'll be a great watch again during the second half of the season.

Howe should stick to his beliefs imho. They've worked so well so far.

Edited by Minhosa

21 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

A lot of people on here seem very reluctant to question anything about EH, his tactics, his approach, and anyone that does gets pelters for it. I don't want to be part of a forum where you can only express certain things with one line of opinion. It sounds crap!

He's an incredible manager with the mindset and character to get even better, but he cannot be completely beyond reproach.

Legitimate criticisms:

We absolutely do not have a plan B. If your plan A is totally ineffective when your players are fatigued (everyone's favourite word), have a Plan B that conserves what energy they do have. He's more than tactically astute enough to come up with one.

Sit deeper, sit tighter, play on the counter. Just do something different from a tactical and game management point of view because it's clear this fatigue will be a recurring theme all season. And there is a risk of it becoming an excuse.

We've been caught out a few times from our own attacking set pieces. One shit Trippier delivery led to an overloaded counter attack that resulted in a goal. It almost happened again yesterday, but for a Lascelles rugby tackle. Have more men back so this doesn't happen. This is absolutely something the manager can control. There is statistically a 2% chance of scoring from a corner in the PL. It doesn't make sense to take the risk of having minimal players back.

Rotate players. You might not rate them but it gives the players you do rate a chance to recover, so they can effectively execute plan A. Now they've played another two games in a week and they'll be dead on their feet against Milan. I'm sure he has his reasons but we've been thumped two games running. Whatever those reasons were look a bit short sighted now. 

I understand people are protective of the manager, but some of these things are obvious. He has so much leeway in the bank it's untrue and no one in their right mind would want him gone, but that doesn't mean everything he is doing is right and everything we are seeing is wrong. 

The merits of Howe's approach has been discussed at length without anyone taking "pelters" for it.

A few questions if ask off the back of that though. 

Do you think we've tried to play differently of late or are we still playing the same ferocious high press every game?

Over the last couple of weeks which players would you have brought into the team and for who?

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

It’ll be Krath RB next Sat.

I'm not so sure. I think Howe wants us to have a left-footer at LB but Hall has disappointed and Tino has excelled.

I think there's a good chance he goes with Hall against Fulham. Livra to RB. Better balance better threat. If we look leaky against Milan or suffer further injuries, he may go with the experience of Krafth.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Despite what xG says, we absolutely would have lost that Wolves game if Neto didn't get injured. They were tearing us to shreds :lol:

How Trippier didn't get subbed that game is fucking nuts as well, Howe did just watch and hope without trying to change anything.