Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

Eddie did mention the lack of training time in a recent interview, and I think that he does rely a lot on good, detailed training to get the most out of his players. He's very thorough in this area.

Not wanting to divert the thread, but when I read that my first thoughts were Tonali. We're living in dreamland if we think he'll start next season fully up to speed with the team and Premier League. 

Just now, macphisto said:

Not wanting to divert the thread, but when I read that my first thoughts were Tonali. We're living in dreamland if we think he'll start next season fully up to speed with the team and Premier League. 

I’m a dreamer. He’ll be involved :indi:

4 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Can someone explain the missing training story please?

I saw it referred to a few times after the Forest game but must have missed when Howe mentioned it. 

Basically, when you've only got 3 days between games because of European/cup competitions, it's mainly going to be rest and recovery in between, and not intensive drills or tactical tweaks to face your next opponent, as opposed to having 6 days or so.

Which you can only manage with a bigger, trusted squad if you're in Europe year on year, that we haven't had the time to build due to our rapid progress last year. 

15 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Basically, when you've only got 3 days between games because of European/cup competitions, it's mainly going to be rest and recovery in between, and not intensive drills or tactical tweaks to face your next opponent, as opposed to having 6 days or so.

Which you can only manage with a bigger, trusted squad if you're in Europe year on year, that we haven't had the time to build due to our rapid progress last year. 

Yeah look at the last week. Chelsea Tuesday, wed rest, Thursday train, Friday travel, sat Luton, sun off, Xmas day who knows, boxing day forest. Clearly no time for anything meaningful 

1 hour ago, Guybrush said:

Nay idea why there's even an utterance of a potential Howe departure. He's the personification of hard work, professionalism, and ambition. The man should be our Alex Ferguson - here for the long term.

There's obviously frustration from our current poor run of form, but supporters in general need to remember where we were just a few years ago. In a football sense, the fact that Ashley, Pardew, Bruce et al are gone should still be a massive cause of celebration. 

I know where the idea's coming from even though it seems hysterical given what he's done in 2 years here. Howe is a great leader and motivator, I don't think anyone can dispute that. But there will be some question marks of whether he's been winning the tactical battles in some games, particularly recently where we've got beaten by some pretty ordinary teams. He could do with getting one over Klopp this weekend as well, the grinning German has come out on top every time so far.

Has anyone mentioned just over 2 years ago we had Bruce in charge ?

Just to play devils advocate, West Ham played more games than us last year & a very similar amount this year with very little spent & are doing very well this season, to me our 100mph approach (intensity is our identity) has had a detrimental effect on the consistent wellbeing / fitness of a lot of players, how we transition to a possession based team with current players is a bit of a quandary I think for Eddie & his team, I will still back him to do so & adapt as hes a fantastic man & a joy to have in charge of our club, whether he has the minerals to actually win something for us only time can tell, to put in perspective to me, I can vividly remember being 3 nil up against Charlton & getting beat 4-3 lol, what we have now was unimaginable then, just cool the jets man lads, we will be fine albeit prob not this season. x 

Edited by RUHRLYASLEEVESUP

West Ham didn’t play Dortmund, Paris and Milan twice; and I assume their cup games didn’t include both Manchester teams and Chelsea. I assume they’ve played the exact same teams as us in the league to not downplay their incredible +18 pt haul v last year. 

The NUFC social media and here are mainly an embarrassment.

We’ve had what, a decent, maybe two seasons so far and now when our form inevitably dips for very good reasons people are now telling us Howe can’t do it.

We’re on a journey, so far, I trust Howe to take us on it. If you don’t want to be on it then feel free to fuck off.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

West Ham didn’t play Dortmund, Paris and Milan twice; and I assume their cup games didn’t include both Manchester teams and Chelsea. I assume they’ve played the exact same teams as us in the league to not downplay their incredible +18 pt haul v last year. 

No they didn't your right, they did manage to beat Arsenal in the Carabao & get smashed off Liverpool, we beat an average Man united team & an understrength City team however that wasn't my point, the amount of games, travelling, Fatigue etc in my opinion is very similar, the literally have 11 1st team players as we have had for periods recently, my point is / was to draw a parallel between 2 teams currently of similar abilities & the recent performances, West Ham are as you say well ahead of last seasons benchmark whereas we are not. x 

4 hours ago, macphisto said:

We're probably not going to keep doing this now that we're out of Europe plus the Carabao cup.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

What was asked/said ?

lee mentioned fans saying he lacked a plan b.

talk of the possibility of a back 5.

louise lass mentioned carra saying u cant play the same starting 11 for 4 games in a row, and was our style sustainable.

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

lee mentioned fans saying he lacked a plan b.

talk of the possibility of a back 5.

louise lass mentioned carra saying u cant play the same starting 11 for 4 games in a row, and was our style sustainable.

So what was response?

Have to admit I'm getting increasingly angry at even the notion of there being a question that needs to be answered on Howe within the fanbase. I find it utterly pathetic, beyond fickle, and really disloyal from people who are essentially clueless armchair pundits like the rest of us.

Some fans seem to be desperate to be seen as realists by insisting that no matter what the circumstances, the buck stops with the manager, and that bringing up the obvious circumstances that have played a massive part in our downturn in form is being soft and a mug or something. No one thinks you're Gordon Gekko for questioning the manager, you're just a try hard nobody.

Howe is the best thing that has happened to this club in decades, not the owners. Frankly anyone questioning him is not only a complete idiot, but their sense of loyalty also isn't worth a jot.

Edited by Kid Icarus

32 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Lee Ryder needs to fuck off like, if he's putting that across to Howe as if it's a opinion the majority of fans hold

Yep, that’s boiled my piss.  I can’t stand Ryder.   He’s a shit stirrer with the worst grasp of written English I’ve ever seen from someone employed as a journalist.  That was a cowardly approach to that question - he could have asked it without the ‘fans’ patter. 

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Have to admit I'm getting increasingly angry at even the notion of there being a question that needs to be answered on Howe within the fanbase. I find it utterly pathetic, beyond fickle, and really disloyal from people who are essentially clueless armchair pundits like the rest of us.

Some fans seem to be desperate to be seen as realists by insisting that no matter what the circumstances, the buck stops with the manager, and that bringing up the obvious circumstances that have played a massive part in our downturn in form is being soft and a mug or something. No one thinks you're Gordon Gekko for questioning the manager, you're just a try hard nobody.

Howe is the best thing that has happened to this club in decades, not the owners. Frankly anyone questioning him is not only a complete idiot, but their sense of loyalty also isn't worth a jot.

Could not agree more. There's a section of the fan base that seems to see pessimism as grown-up and optimism as childish, so lurch towards the most negative spin on anything that happens to show how fucking adult they are. 

EDIT: Not aimed at anyone in particular on here, it's all over twitter

Edited by LiquidAK

I knew the fanbase would become more expectant and move away from 'a team that tries' ethos, but the transformation we've had in the space of 2 years is enough to give you whiplash.

No-one should have short enough memories of the previous 14 years to then watch our worst performances under Howe and say they were like an Ashley era performance, that's just absolutely mental. What bad Ashley era match do you remember Newcastle losing while dominating possession and every player putting in 100%? Honestly man.

If anything, our poor performances and losses are much nearer to some of the kamikaze football under Keegan than anything.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I’m pretty sure that Howe knows that’s it not the entire fan base saying it. I’m also certain that he both knows and accepts that it’s a part of football when things don’t go too well. Nothing to make a meal out of.