Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

19 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Just take a look at the thread when the team was announced for the Man United cup tie (that we won 3-0 away) many posts along the lines of "Ritchie? Howe is chucking the tie then"

The idea that anyone would have seen him selected in a PL game and gone "ooh great rotation selection Eddie" is hindsight on steroids.

Correct. But Matt Ritchie shouldn’t be here collecting £40,000 a week to put arms round shoulders either. 

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

I guess the evidence from the Man Utd game (that we won 3-0 away!) is an argument for rotation and playing fresh players to give regulars a break every now and then.

That team was fresh and managed to carry out Howe’s principles and won 3-0 away against a CL team. A functioning Howe team is far more than the sum of its parts so why not play some of that side more often when the main lot are absolutely on their knees and have been for weeks (months?)? Some of them simply cannot fulfil basic duties. 

There was a point long after this game where I think it was generally accepted on here that we were going to have to play the same XI multiple times because of the players available (at one point we had 3 'keepers or 3 academy players on the bench) and because of the importance of the games.

That Man United XI was our C team. 4 of them then got injured on top of our other injuries. (Willock, Targett, Krafth, Burn)

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Howe has been unlucky with injuries and suspensions, there is no doubt. We banked in the summer on adding depth at fullback, making sure we had four hard working wingers who we could run into the ground, and a midfielder who could cover both #8 as well as Bruno's role (in theory). Clearly the idea was to maximise the resources, facilitated in part by actually selling our one wild card, to double down on our style of play and make sure we had the depth to push it across multiple competitions. Ultimately we have tried to reinforce what worked last year - rather than look to enhance/augment what we've got and give us something different to win games. Whether that was signing a number 10/wide attacker who can play between the lines, a designated defensive midfielder to give us more control in transition, another striker who could offer more out of possession than Wilson etc etc - these were options that were available to us and we chose not to go for.

I think it's not unreasonable to say at this point that it has backfired. This is partly through sheer bad luck in the case of Tonali and Barnes in particular. But our inability to change it up or find other ways to win games has made this season's crash far worse and also I'm afraid made Howe look increasingly naive. We've ran players into the ground and made injuries worse, which has increasingly made our fundsmental style of play ineffective, which has now increasingly made players devoid of confidence. Confidence that has been rattled further by crashing out of the cups and leaving the season effectively over by January. It is a vicious spiral and I think, mitigating factors accepted, Howe has to take blame and be questioned for it. Both for his input in transfer decisions (we know he will have had some) and how we have adapted this season to very different circumstances.

This is the long and short of it. Heading into the summer transfer window, I wanted us to buy a starting right winger, defensive midfielder and left back, then look towards cover at the striker and centre back positions. Instead we bought another left winger, an identikit centre midfielder, and an aspiring right back. I felt we'd found a bit of value in the transfer market and I was happy that we'd doubled down on our strengths, but it turns out I was right all along and should never have doubted myself.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

There was a point long after this game where I think it was generally accepted on here that we were going g to play the same XI multiple times because of the players available (at one point we had 3 players or 3 academy players on the bench) and because of the importance of the games.

This I agree with mostly. Except the reason for it was knowing Eddie doesn’t like to rotate if he doesn’t believe in the backups. 

I also think there was an acceptance that this approach that Eddie was likely to choose would lead to increased fatigue and probably poor performances and results. I think me and @Erikse were saying, if fatigue is our big issue - things would only get worse because Howe wasn’t going to rotate. 

Where i differ is I think it is has been a choice and a wrong choice.  From giving Ritchie, Dummett, Krafth contracts, to signing Hall, to not playing them or youth. These are choices. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And then he played damn near every minute for the rest of November and December. He should’ve sat that game out. He should’ve sat out another game or two. He cannot get around the pitch atm. 

We are still asking him to press oppositions deepest midfielder. He doesn’t have the legs for it. If he’s going to play every minute we need a gameplan he can actually execute. Opposition midfielders keep running off him and it’s leading to goal after goal. 

He never had the legs for it, Longstaff (fit) covered loads for it and Miley can't read it yet.

I know these markets aren't that reliable, and can easily be influenced by small punts, and can change instantly, but you'd never think Howe would be as short as 5/2 to be the next to leave just a month ago. Hopefully common sense prevails.

howe.thumb.png.72bf0ea65a6c8f9609595d4c98eae3bf.png

Just now, madras said:

He never had the legs for it, Longstaff (fit) covered loads for it and Miley can't read it yet.

He could definitely get back sharper than he does now. Or are you suggesting that he’s actually not fatigued?

And it keeps happening.  Why haven’t we changed our midfield setup? 

If Gordon is so tired that he can only start jogging after 60 mins, we may as well sub him off and play Ritchie / youngsters like Sanusi, who at least is willing to run and keep the team in shape

You definitely can feel that Howe’s not thinking sensibly. It’s like he cannot accept his plan A is not working (even though it’s not his fault) and keep doing the same thing, playing the “best players available” and trying to sneak a win to proof everyone’s wrong. And then the problem get worsen and worsen. Just like what TCD said.

I am genuinely disappointed by his handling approach towards the crisis this season. He could have done a much better job to prevent it, or easing it. In fact some of us have been saying we will have trouble back as early as late September. Yet Howe simply continue his approach full-throttle and crash it in the worst possible way. No matter you are still fully supporting him for the job or not, you should be disappointed, rightfully.

Gordon for a while looked like our only hope of getting something in the second half. He was the out-ball and he also provided a very good assist for the equaliser. If we had any hope of getting anything from the game then I think he had to play the full 90 again, sadly, such is the situation. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This I agree with mostly. Except the reason for it was knowing Eddie doesn’t like to rotate if he doesn’t believe in the backups. 

I also think there was an acceptance that this approach that Eddie was likely to choose would lead to increased fatigue and probably poor performances and results. I think me and @Erikse were saying, if fatigue is our big issue - things would only get worse because Howe wasn’t going to rotate. 

Where i differ is I think it is has been a choice and a wrong choice.  From giving Ritchie, Dummett, Krafth contracts, to signing Hall, to not playing them or youth. These are choices. 

I would go further and say he should play youngsters like Alex Murphy or Sanusi, if he still prefers the team to play high intensity pressing football. You need fresh players to carry out your tactics.

Another approach is to change to plan B, if any

Just now, Zero said:

I would go further and say he should play youngsters like Alex Murphy or Sanusi, if he still prefers the team to play high intensity pressing football. You need fresh players to carry out your tactics.

Another approach is to change to plan B, if any

Sanusi is 16 years old and has pretty much just played youth football, he isn't going to just get chucked in and rightly so 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He could definitely get back sharper than he does now. Or are you suggesting that he’s actually not fatigued?

And it keeps happening.  Why haven’t we changed our midfield setup? 

I'm not sure he can, often with fatigue it's the sharpness rather than the top speed. 

And why haven't we changed the midfield set up ? You're right, I'd put Willock and Tonali straight in.

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Sanusi is 16 years old and has pretty much just played youth football, he isn't going to just get chucked in and rightly so 

And only just seems to have come to terms with that level judging by the Euro games.

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Then change the approach to plan B. I am fine with that. Just don’t continue the plan A when we don’t have the fresh players to carry it out anymore

1 minute ago, Zero said:

Then change the approach to plan B. I am fine with that. Just don’t continue the plan A when we don’t have the fresh players to carry it out anymore

I think that's a reasonable ask, I personally can understand why Howe is sticking with his primary way of playing and feel long term it's the best approach

I just don't think saying we should chuck kids that are clearly not ready just to give some players a rest is the right solution, it won't help the team and it will just damage any of these kids development

When these youngsters are ready, they'll be given their opportunity, just like Miley was (though he's no doubt ended up having to play way more than expected)

Gutted that this is all getting to Howe.

Questionable tactics, increasingly bizarre decision-making, blind loyalty..... there's obviously a big asterisk next to all this due to injuries but I thought he was more adaptable and competent than this.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Gordon for a while looked like our only hope of getting something in the second half. He was the out-ball and he also provided a very good assist for the equaliser. If we had any hope of getting anything from the game then I think he had to play the full 90 again, sadly, such is the situation. 

In any game to game scenario - Gordon is our most dangerous winger. It’s always best in a single game situation to play him. 

Zoom out a bit. It’s best he gets enough rest to play close to his best for as long as he can. That means NOT playing every single game and taking a short term hit for long term performance. 

When I say naivety I’m including the transfer committee.  I look at Villa and think this is a club that wants to attack the league and Conference. So they prioritised squad. Zaniolo, Lenglet even Tielemans maybe. Not signed to necessarily start but signed with an intention of being important squad members in congested fixtures. We’ve been naive to attack all competitions, with a thin squad with our style of play.  The 2 mid 20s players great but Howe was reluctant to use the young boys. And left thin elsewhere. To do all that we needed 3 more bodies and a left back Howe would use. 

7 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm not sure he can, often with fatigue it's the sharpness rather than the top speed. 

And why haven't we changed the midfield set up ? You're right, I'd put Willock and Tonali straight in.

Fatigue impacts top speed, mental sharpness and ability to maintain intensity/pace of running and limits the total running amount. 

Aye you’re right. There’s no way we could not have massive gaps in midfield without Willock and Tonali. There’s simply nothing Howe could do to stop that.  Foden brace and assist coming up. 

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Fatigue impacts top speed, mental sharpness and ability to maintain intensity/pace of running and limits the total running amount. 

Aye you’re right. There’s no way we could not have massive gaps in midfield without Willock and Tonali. There’s simply nothing Howe could do to stop that.  Foden brace and assist coming up. 

Longstaff and Joelinton both having to start when needing eased back, no Anderson and now the answer is putting Ritchie in for a game or two.

However, yesterday I'd have been tempted to go 442 given what we had, extra body in  midfield and some help for Isak whether it be Gordon or Joelinton up top, However (again) were talking top level sport and just flipping tactics with no notice is probably a tad different to football manager or saying what I'd do when we don't face the consequences.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Already conceded that point a few pages back bud. :thup:

Ah, it was the highlighted part that threw me. Unless you backtracked later than I quoted and I missed it. Either way, sad times and we have to get better.

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

What, you mean like Miley 2 months ago?

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

What, you mean like Miley 2 months ago?

Miley played PL2 football last season and stood out, as a result he was training with the first team and didn't look out of place (this follows the season before where he played over 20 times for the U18's, at the age of 15)

Hence, he was given his debut last season away to Chelsea and then taken to the US where he got decent minutes and then Howe told everyone he isn't going out on loan as he's very much part of the first team squad 

So, no not like Miley 2 months ago 

1 hour ago, Myleftboot said:

In a way I can see our ‘train as we play’ and ‘intensity is our identity’ possibly catching up with us.

Have any of the players been injured in training? Murphy was a freak fall in a match, Pope was an innocent dive for a blocked shot, Barnes was a toe injury when not fatigued, ....

It is key to manage injury prone players like Wilson, but I don't think that applies to most of the lads.