Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

If you think the criticism has been bad on here, console yourself with the fact that it's not infested with complete cry babies like this place. https://www.not606.com/threads/toon-v-hatters.410988/page-10

To be fair though, reading across the various social media platforms, last weekend was the first time I've seen it being openly questioned whether Howe will still be the man in charge in a season or two.

I just think teams have worked us out. I don't know another team in the league with three centre mids that play that straight and it's causing us alsorts of bother, last year we kind of got away with it to a point but we can be got at to easy for my liking. I'd sit two midfielders and have bruno in a ten position. 

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

I just think teams have worked us out. I don't know another team in the league with three centre mids that play that straight and it's causing us alsorts of bother, last year we kind of got away with it to a point but we can be got at to easy for my liking. I'd sit two midfielders and have bruno in a ten position. 

Has Bruno played there before? Didn't really follow him before his Toon career but assumed he played behind Paquetta in France?

Also given the paucity of options are you playing Longstaff and Miley as the two sitters or is this a long term change of plan when we have more options \ signings?

Interested, not just trying to be critical 

38 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m curious to see how Howe will set us up on Satder vs Forest.  He absolutely nailed Villa away, in stark contrast to the cagey away performances we’d seen for most of the season.  I enjoyed the crackers nature of the Luton game, but I wonder if Howe might make us a bit more defensive again in reaction to it.  Hope not. 

My dad also told me Howe was getting a bit of stick vs Luton from a few vocal divvies in the Milburn.  He reckons Howe shook his head disappointedly at one point when he turned and heard a few shouts to change things up.  Seems incredible that he was getting grief to me.

not acceptable but i can understand people's frustrations being 4-2 down home to luton before any changes got made.

especially when BDB was struggling against their winger all game.

as someone mentioned in the villa thread he also waited till after villa scored to change it.

its gonna start happening as the honeymoon period is over for many and the expectations rise.

still the man for the job here. yes he could be a bit more pro-active but he knows a hell of a lot more than us minions.

13 minutes ago, huss9 said:

not acceptable but i can understand people's frustrations being 4-2 down home to luton before any changes got made.

especially when BDB was struggling against their winger all game.

as someone mentioned in the villa thread he also waited till after villa scored to change it.

its gonna start happening as the honeymoon period is over for many and the expectations rise.

still the man for the job here. yes he could be a bit more pro-active but he knows a hell of a lot more than us minions.

Any Newcastle manager is going to get stick 2-4 down at home to Luton tbf.

35 minutes ago, Wandy said:

If you think the criticism has been bad on here, console yourself with the fact that it's not infested with complete cry babies like this place. https://www.not606.com/threads/toon-v-hatters.410988/page-10

To be fair though, reading across the various social media platforms, last weekend was the first time I've seen it being openly questioned whether Howe will still be the man in charge in a season or two.

Christ that’s some grim reading.  Like all good managers, Howe has deserved all the many plaudits he’s received, and the relatively few pieces of light criticism too.  But that reads like we’re managed by a PFM chancer on his last legs.  

47 minutes ago, Wandy said:

its hard to argue with some of the points being made but its the vitriol and the manner in which its being done.

there will come a time when its acceptable for our expectations to rise beyond a team that just tries. we will eventually need to start winning things or at least be there or thereabouts.

maybe just a bit too soon for it all now though. 

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

its hard to argue with some of the points being made but its the vitriol and the manner in which its being done.

there will come a time when its acceptable for our expectations to rise beyond a team that just tries. we will eventually need to start winning things or at least be there or thereabouts.

Yeah, I don’t think that point is too far away tbh.  We’ll hit a brick wall with commercials etc soon without being a genuinely successful side - I can’t see us spending the same as we have the last two years (over £400m) in the next two and being comfortable with see-sawing around the top half and flirting with the bottom half.

Howe needs to be given time to show that he can learn from mistakes and I remain confident that he can.  I hope that the idea of pushing him out isn’t even entertained this season.  I do think next season is a crunch one for him though. 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I don’t think that point is too far away tbh.  We’ll hit a brick wall with commercials etc soon without being a genuinely successful side - I can’t see us spending the same as we have the last two years (over £400m) in the next two and being comfortable with see-sawing around the top half and flirting with the bottom half.

Howe needs to be given time to show that he can learn from mistakes and I remain confident that he can.  I hope that the idea of pushing him out isn’t even entertained this season.  I do think next season is a crunch one for him though. 

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I think almost anything is permissable this season given the highs we've had already and the injuries we've endured along with Tonali's situation etc. I'd hope to see signs of maturity next season though, assuming he has a reasonably free hand in the transfer market this summer.

I've said for about 12 months now that this season was going to be about learning lessons from loads of new experiences it would bring - for everyone in the club. So long as they're learned from, everything is forgivable.

19 minutes ago, huss9 said:

That's the thing with that place though. They can't criticise without resorting to catastrophising.

That Deschain character on there is the worst....an absolute drama queen, and flip-flops all the time, depending on how a game pans out.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m curious to see how Howe will set us up on Satder vs Forest.  He absolutely nailed Villa away, in stark contrast to the cagey away performances we’d seen for most of the season.  I enjoyed the crackers nature of the Luton game, but I wonder if Howe might make us a bit more defensive again in reaction to it.  Hope not. 

My dad also told me Howe was getting a bit of stick vs Luton from a few vocal divvies in the Milburn.  He reckons Howe shook his head disappointedly at one point when he turned and heard a few shouts to change things up.  Seems incredible that he was getting grief to me.

I'm definitely not condoning criticism from the stands but everyone knows football stands aren't full of Mensa-members and half of them will have had a few, so it kind of goes with the territory. People pay good money to watch the team in person and you could argue that gives them a right to voice.

There is literally nothing Eddie can come out with to legitimately defend us being 2-4 down at home to relegation fodder after persisting with a setup that has blatant personnel and tactical issues. When the damage is self-inflicted and you don't heed the warnings from previous games, people will start to question your judgement and suitability.  

Edited by Holmesy

1 hour ago, Monters said:

Has Bruno played there before? Didn't really follow him before his Toon career but assumed he played behind Paquetta in France?

Also given the paucity of options are you playing Longstaff and Miley as the two sitters or is this a long term change of plan when we have more options \ signings?

Interested, not just trying to be critical 

Yep I'd put longy and miley sitting until we get out better midfielders back. And I think bruno would do well in the ten position with his creativity. 

2 hours ago, andycap said:

Is it the system or the individuals we've currently got occupying two of those three slots? Leaving aside the fact we beat a previously undefeated at home resurgent Villa merely days before Luton, do you think Longstaff and Miley are who Howe would be choosing to play both 8 roles given the choice? Or do you think at least one of Joelinton, Willock and Tonali would be in there if available? Look at where this team was in early December despite injuries biting and tell me with a straight face it’s the system. I know everybody is sick of hearing it, but it’s clearly down to the players energy levels as much as the system, although again that’s been disrupted due to the team not being as compact due to Dubravka's inability to sweep as effectively as Pope.

16 minutes ago, andycap said:

It's the system did you not see early in the season we had all our big guns playing and we were still getting cut to ribbons. 

Yep, we have been shit from the start. The tactic is absurd.

31 minutes ago, andycap said:

It's the system did you not see early in the season we had all our big guns playing and we were still getting cut to ribbons. 

So what's the answer? Keep playing the system even though we know it doesn't suit the current available personnel, and just accept getting battered at home by Luton? Or change the system and personnel to suit our current circumstances and give ourselves a better chance of winning with a depleted squad?

Edited by Holmesy

40 minutes ago, andycap said:

The only game I can think of that remotely fits that description is Brighton away.