Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I mean the teams who finished 1st and 2nd last season were using CB's as fullbacks. So 3 out of the top 4 sides were doing it [emoji38]

In fairness, City and Arsenal have the luxury of having top class players in almost every other position to make up for that. The players they had at fullback are also faster than Burn.

Burn has been badly exposed because of the lack of protection from midfield this season; last season he had Willock and Joelinton doubling up to help him. Miley (understandably) and Longstaff don't do it as effectively, so if Gordon isn't back helping out he's in trouble. 

We have a fullback sat on the bench who so far has shown he doesn't need the same level of protection. Ogbene was anonymous when Tino came on today. 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

How do you think they'd do isolated against Usain Bolt?

A shit load better than Dan Burn. 
But I’ don’t think their managers would play them in a game where they would be up against Usain Bolt. 

2 hours ago, nufc123 said:

Deserved all the praise after Villa. Really poor today. Got to take a lot of the blame.

tbf Burn has been a liability for a while - even against Villa he had to bring on Tino to help cover for him.  I don't understand why Eddie doesn't tell Burn to stop flying forward - he adds nothing to the attack and it keeps resulting in us being hit on the break.

1 minute ago, STM said:

He does need to address this issue but I'm not having the "Elite managers yada".

Jurgen Klopp didn't make poor judgements at Mainz? Klopp made poor judgements last season man[emoji38].

Only 2 years ago Pep didn't play a DM in the CL final and got beat. Despite people warning against it prior. Great managers make mistakes. 

Yes and they learn from them. Let’s see what happens next. 

6 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Who were the other CB's that were used as fullbacks?

Ake and White. Both better than Burn but Jaqens point stands.

Of course you can play CBs at full back... if you have 80% possession every week and the full back hasn't the turning capabilities of the Costa Concordia.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

He does need to address this issue but I'm not having the "Elite managers yada".

Jurgen Klopp didn't make poor judgements at Mainz? Klopp made poor judgements last season man[emoji38].

Only 2 years ago Pep didn't play a DM in the CL final and got beat. Despite people warning against it prior. Great managers make mistakes. 

Truly great managers learn from them and tend not to repeat them.

City also had John Stones stepping in DM from whatever position he starred in. 

You could also argue that Ben White being so limited going forward is a reason Arsenal get shut down in games and Saka looks isolated, so they have the same problem as us in that respect 

1 hour ago, Zero said:

How about at the very least pointing out this is not the standard we should be expecting?

This Howe love is getting ridiculous. If you don’t expect a win at home against a relegation fighters, then tell me what’s your expectation for our league position?

Love in?! You mean respect and benefit of the doubt for a number of years of excellent work and results.?

Keegan, Sir Bobby and every future manager we'll ever have will drop points at home against relegation fighters.

People's expectancy of position in this seasons circumstances seems to be around 6-8. Probably only been several thousands examples of a team around 7th not beating relegation threatened teams at home. We drew 0-0 at home to a bunch of them last season ffs

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Zero said:

How about at the very least pointing out this is not the standard we should be expecting?

This Howe love is getting ridiculous. If you don’t expect a win at home against a relegation fighters, then tell me what’s your expectation for our league position?

Expecting a win and calling out a poor result is fair enough; but sometimes it happens - there's a squad of professional footballers on our side and a squad of professional footballers on their side. The away defeat was in the midst of that awful schedule with all the injuries. But you're in the Eddie Howe thread saying it's unacceptable. We got zero wins against Bournemouth last season too; none against Leeds or Crystal Palace either. Was that unacceptable?

It's not about unconditional praise for Howe; he made errors today and I'm bothered by his delays when it comes to making changes. It's about calling out unnecessarily loaded and negative conclusions which don't consider the nuances of the situation.

I can see why he brought him straight back in, last season they were 1 of the best back 4's in the league. We wasn't playing well at the time and he wanted to be solid 1st. I don't agree with it, but I see why. 

It's what he does now that's key for me, because it clear that's the weak point, and everytime Tino comes it the clear problem goes away. If gor whatever reason he doesn't address that, then he rightly deserved to be questioned about it. 

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Truly great managers learn from them and tend not to repeat them.

Great managers just don't arrive from the womb though. Unless you are Boss Baby of course.

Managers grow and develop. Again, Klopp didn't just turn up at Liverpool without making mistakes prior. He was at Dortmund, where he did and unreal job... but I'm sure if I asked a Dortmund fan, there'd be a left back he played for too long or a signing that didn't work etc and before that I'm sure there are even more.

Eddie Howe isn't a 60 year old finished product. He's a glorious half baked Red Velvet cake. Give him SOME room for error.

12 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

A shit load better than Dan Burn. 
But I’ don’t think their managers would play them in a game where they would be up against Usain Bolt. 

The idea probably wasn't to have him isolated against Ogbene though, Luton did well taking the game to us, you have to give them credit.

Again, people have been waiting for a game where this happened, Burn has been sound in our system for donkeys, he's not suddenly a liability after a shite week. Same as Trippier wasn't.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

14 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

How am I moving the goalposts you knob? 😀

Nathan Ake plays like a fullback, John Stones is one of the best ball playing CBs in the PL, and highly mobile, and Ben White is basically John Stones mk2. If you think Dan Burn belongs in that category you need to put the bottle down pal. 

thanks for confirming top managers do play centre backs at full back

When did I say that?

If someone put a button in front of me and said I could end the season right now, I'd press it in a heartbeat.

Every time we seem to be coming out of the clouds and injury occurs and knocks us back 3 paces. How do Isak and Gordon get injured, immediately when Barnes and Wilson return? It's a joke.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

If someone put a button in front of me and said I could end the season right now, I'd press it in a heartbeat.

Every time we seem to be coming out of the clouds and injury occurs and knocks us back 3 paces. How do Isak and Gordon get injured, immediately when Barnes and Wilson return? It's a joke.

Felt that way since about October

Which is brutal really because it should have been such an enjoyable season

(Still had some great moments which I'm grateful for like)

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The idea probably wasn't to have him isolated against Ogbene though, Luton did well taking the game to us, you have to give them credit.

Again, people have been waiting for a game where this happened, Burn has been sound in our system for donkeys, he's not suddenly a liability after a shite week. Same as Trippier wasn't.

I'm sorry, but that problem has been there for ages. The amount of time wingers get in behind him is unreal, and he does that pull of the shoulder all the time when trying to catch up.

8 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

thanks for confirming top managers do play centre backs at full back

When did I say that?

Read the original post you commented on again, genius. I didn’t even mention that Dan Burn is a CB. The focus of the post was on his size and chronic lack of mobility. 
Easy mistake to make when you’re a bit simple, and there’s no judgement from me big guy. Might be worth reading things a couple of times in future before you reply though  😉

Edited by Holmesy

5 minutes ago, STM said:

The basic science behind it is that when Howe plays Dan Burn, a child's wish is taken away from them.

20 minutes ago, Andy said:

In fairness, City and Arsenal have the luxury of having top class players in almost every other position to make up for that. The players they had at fullback are also faster than Burn.

Burn has been badly exposed because of the lack of protection from midfield this season; last season he had Willock and Joelinton doubling up to help him. Miley (understandably) and Longstaff don't do it as effectively, so if Gordon isn't back helping out he's in trouble. 

We have a fullback sat on the bench who so far has shown he doesn't need the same level of protection. Ogbene was anonymous when Tino came on today. 

It's absolutely baffling isn't it :lol:

Clear from his post match that he was worried about their aerial threat. 

But considering we conceded a goal anyway from a simple set piece and Burn was getting roasted from minute one. I think you need to react much quicker. 

He did the same against Villa. We had a couple of warnings before their goal but he didnt change it. The thing is if Tuno coming on always seems to reduce the problems and make us look more solid then why isn't that the default setting rather than the reaction?

Have to say Botman looks to have really struggled since coming back. He never seems to get near the opposition now. Think he's been an extra yard off it just like Burn since injuries. 

5 minutes ago, M1tche said:

I'm sorry, but that problem has been there for ages. The amount of time wingers get in behind him is unreal, and he does that pull of the shoulder all the time when trying to catch up.

So like any other defender does?

Are you genuinely trying to argue that Burn been beaten on the counter by rapid wingers is a notable flaw in our gameplan over the past 2 year? 

This week is genuinely the first time I can remember it being legitimately exposed. There should be loads of examples though?

Edited by Hanshithispantz

29 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

He needs to eradicate this blind spot he has very quickly. Elite managers don’t continually make mistakes like that.

As mentioned in one of my other posts, both Mourinho and Conte were keeping Bissouma out of the match day squad throughout their tenures, in teams that had no control over matches, and were playing Skipp and Hojberg ahead of him.

Completely exposed this season by an understated Aussie manager with a fraction of their experience at the top level.

Are you genuinely trying to argue that Burn been beaten on the counter by rapid wingers is a notable flaw in our gameplan over the past 2 year? 

This week is genuinely the first time I can remember it being legitimately exposed. There should be loads of examples though?

Are you serious?

Ah the answer to that is "well usually he has Joelinton helping out", as if it's Howe's tactical approach or something...

not giving up on this season yet with the  fa cup still to play for 

the league doesn't really matter that much to me anymore - not getting European football may be a blessing 

that said it would still be incredibly annoying to finish behind that poxy Man U team again