Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think this is true anymore about 2 attack minded fullbacks. 

City started Stones and Ake at fullback yesterday.  Their most attacking fullback is Walker who is defence first imo.  

In the top 5 only Liverpool and Spurs play with 2 attacking fullbacks. 

Yeah, Pep has basically completely got rid of fullbacks, no wonder he had a fallout with Cancelo and didn't mind seeing him leave. Walker is now one of the 3 CBs when he plays and Lewis/Stones (and if they are both missing then Akanji) are basically CMs.

Edited by Pata

Crossposting this from the top four thread as I feel it's also relevant here:

Looking at this seasons expected points on Understat and we (-3.68 points) are pretty much even with Villa at fifth place, fighting for 4th place with them and Chelsea. Spurs (+11.52 points), Man United unsurprisingly (+10.00 points), West Ham (+7.81 points), Liverpool (+7.63 points) and Villa (+6.28 points) have been really lucky so far. Everton are seventh without the deduction well ahead of Brighton, Tottenham, West Ham and Man United.

Looking at that data and we've been really unlucky this season on the basis that our main rivals have all been running really good and being quite lucky while we are having a tougher season even without taking into account all the injury problems. Just confirms to me that judging Howe based on this season is not fair on him and he has a clean slate to start the 24/25 season.

11 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

There are innate benefits to keeping a manager in long term, even if said manager has flaws. The squad gets to know their methods, its built around the manager he will be able to implement the systems he want. There was a feeling I think in the league that unless you were ferguson or wenger you had a life span as a manager (this maybe mourinho's fault as the clearest example of a manager who burns out in a 3 year cycle) you were brought in, expect to deliver a decent first season then the second season was meant to be when you 'peaked' and then after that the squad would get bored and predictable. 

Burnout definitely happens still, Dyche at Burnley seemed to be running out of steam in their last season. I think staying long term relies on good dressing room management, if the results are bad AND the players stop listening or respecting the manager that's really hard to turn around as players know manager will likely be replaced. But if the players know the manager is staying no matter what that gives somewhat more authority. 

All this to say, I think a lot of clubs have looked at Arteta's shakey first few seasons and what's happening now, and thought, oh that's a sensible cost effective way of running a club (what a shock!) you don't have to swap and change managers in hope of short term boosts. They look at Chelsea and think oh god we don't want to be that. 

I very much doubt that as long as the dressing room is behind Howe his job is in any trouble. I would reckon even if we miss Europe we will stick with Howe, but I imagine patience would start to be tested if half way through next season there isn't any improvement, but that feels unlikely. 

Good post. If next season (we have half the injuries) and we are playing similar, then absolutely it's a different discussion.

I just can't see it though. I think we'd have to really cock up our transfer window in the summer.

53 minutes ago, STM said:

You see even this is OTT. His "failings" man. [emoji38]

I don't know if I'm reading it wrong or it's just me but "failings" is just a word I wouldn't use. [emoji38]

If I talked about Peps "failings" I'd rightly get laughed at but I could easily point to more than one moment where his decisions cost his side a trophy. 

On the Saudi point. In a scenario where they sacked Howe, THEY would be wrong, not Howe. Then we could talk about their "failings".

Pointing out the historic failings of another clubs manager would be a pointless unless he hasn’t learned from them, which it would be difficult to argue that Pep hasn’t considering he us put together the best side in world football.

Slight difference between that and continuing to play Dan Burn against quick wide men knowing the opposition manager will target him as a weak link, then failing to learn from it. 

I can change the language to one less likely to hurt your feelings but the point still stands.

Edited by Matt1892

16 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Pointing out the historic failings of another clubs manager would be a pointless unless he hasn’t learned from them, which it would be difficult to argue that Pep hasn’t considering he us put together the best side in world football.

Slight difference between that and continuing to play Dan Burn against quick wide men knowing the opposition manager will target him as a weak link, then failing to learn from it. 

I can change the language to one less likely to hurt your feelings but the point still stands.

All I'm saying is that I leave terms like "failings" for Tory governments, not for 9/10 managers who've brought us more success than anyone in 20 years. But you do you.

On 11/02/2024 at 19:42, STM said:

Good post. If next season (we have half the injuries) and we are playing similar, then absolutely it's a different discussion.

I just can't see it though. I think we'd have to really cock up our transfer window in the summer.

I genuinely think we will spend very little in the coming summer. Likely just 1 or 2 30m signings. 

We won’t have major changes. Howe needs to promote from the youth if he wants to have more usable players for selection

11 minutes ago, Zero said:

I genuinely think we will spend very little in the coming summer. Likely just 1 or 2 30m signings. 

We won’t have major changes. Howe needs to promote from the youth if he wants to have more usable players for selection

Be very surprised if that were the case. Think it makes sense for 2-3 current first team regulars to be moved on. Along with plenty of deadwood at the end of their contracts. Going to need far more than one or two first team ready players. 

How long are we waiting for these decent youth players then? Miley looks good but not physically ready yet. We’ve not had a standout or anyone that looks remotely decent from our 23’s in how long? 

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Be very surprised if that were the case. Think it makes sense for 2-3 current first team regulars to be moved on. Along with plenty of deadwood at the end of their contracts. Going to need far more than one or two first team ready players. 

How long are we waiting for these decent youth players then? Miley looks good but not physically ready yet. We’ve not had a standout or anyone that looks remotely decent from our 23’s in how long? 

Yea that’s why we probably need 1-2 more years to overhaul our starting eleven / improve our squad depth before finally take a legitimate title challenge. A top 6-7 finish is more than acceptable. Due to FFP we can’t just do it in one summer. 6-70m transfer kitty is likely the maximum we could spend (unless we really sell BG) and that could probably just bring in one top prospect like Antonio Silva. For the rest we have no choice - either promote from the youth or offer short term contract to those available for free.

I believe Howe has the ability to keep top 7 finish for the coming years. Just that he needs to do more than that to take us to the next level, due to FFP unfortunately. Yea you are right it actually requires quite a lot of luck.

Have you looked at the coming FFP cycle to arrive at that figure? I don’t fully understand it. Nor do I want to, it’s mind numbing :lol: But I know there are a few on here that do.

If we are getting rid of the wages of most who are out of contract. Shifting first team players such as Almiron and/or Wilson, who are regularly mentioned by fans and journos as those that are likely to be moved on. Then we’ll be signing a lot more than 1-2 decent players. 

I’m not expecting a mass rebuild or necessarily jumping straight back to a top 4 or title challenge. I didn’t realise that’s what we’re discussing here?

But even in saying that. We’re not even miles away from top 4 after a poor’ish season and the worst injury crisis since maybe Souness or Roeder? So why delay it and gamble massively on some youth players suddenly coming good in a few years?

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 hour ago, Zero said:

[emoji38]

Even the promoted sides will spend more than that. Depending on various things, I'm fairly sure we will be spending 150m + on 4/5 first team signings.

Of course that depends on what deals you can do and how much you end up forking out on our main targets.

Edited by STM

Don’t care how much we spend tbh, as long as we improve the team which I’m sure we will. I think we will see a moves to really strengthen the starting 11. 3 maybe 4 first team buys. 

24 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t care how much we spend tbh, as long as we improve the team which I’m sure we will. I think we will see a moves to really strengthen the starting 11. 3 maybe 4 first team buys. 

And that already cost close to 150m. Of course we need to care how much we can spend….

I imagine this Summer will be just as busy with outs as it is with ins. Think in terms of the first team Wilson and Almiron move on, likely for a combined 30m or so. Sadly I do think we lose Bruno to PSG, which will be close to 100m. Think we will end up spending close to 200m, but with outgoings think the net will be an outlay of 60-70m. 

Think the marquee signings will be a wide forward, a CM and a LB. 

Think there will likely be a raw young CB brought in with the idea they gradually take over from Schar. Same at striker. Think Minteh is kept in the squad next season as well. 

Been watching some FPL content - even casual observers are picking up on the Burn thing and the lack of ado by Howe about it.

Anyway...

I think if we qualify for Europe we either sell 1 big player or a few older players. Not both. I think someone hinted there would be some wriggle room in the summer if we qualified for Europe - if we don't then anything can happen.

3 hours ago, STM said:

[emoji38]

Even the promoted sides will spend more than that. Depending on various things, I'm fairly sure we will be spending 150m + on 4/5 first team signings.

Of course that depends on what deals you can do and how much you end up forking out on our main targets.

Player wages + transfer amortisation for the current season is likely over £300m.  Given UEFA’s changes to FSR, we’ll need to start getting that under control - yes, next season you’re allowed 90% of those items vs turnover, but the year after it drops to 70%.  The usual PL rules also apply.  At the moment, I don’t see how our income increases next season compared to this season.  The adidas deals balances the loss of Champions League revenue.  Basically, we might not have a huge amount of wriggle-room without money coming in.  I don’t doubt we’ll make signings though.  

On 15/02/2024 at 11:11, TheBrownBottle said:

Player wages + transfer amortisation for the current season is likely over £300m.  Given UEFA’s changes to FSR, we’ll need to start getting that under control - yes, next season you’re allowed 90% of those items vs turnover, but the year after it drops to 70%.  The usual PL rules also apply.  At the moment, I don’t see how our income increases next season compared to this season.  The adidas deals balances the loss of Champions League revenue.  Basically, we might not have a huge amount of wriggle-room without money coming in.  I don’t doubt we’ll make signings though.  

I reckon we’ll make one “big”

signing plus a few young players for the future. 

There is wiggle room whether we qualify for Europe or not assuming we are ok taking the maximum amount of losses in every three year period.

I expect us to be very active this summer unless there’s suddenly a concerted effort for the club to be self sufficient, which I’d find surprising and disappointing this quickly.

Not learning his lessons. We've got a few useable options on the bench now and he's making the same Dan Burn shaped mistake every single week. Pissing goals for fun because pacey players are running down that flank, and yet he won't play the full back with plenty pace in favour of a tall lad who's getting ran. It's getting ridiculous now, sick to fucking death of it. He's either stubborn to KK levels or has his head in the sand to it, it's so bloody obvious.

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Not learning his lessons. We've got a few useable options on the bench now and he's making the same Dan Burn shaped mistake every single week. Pissing goals for fun because pacey players are running down that flank, and yet he won't play the full back with plenty pace in favour of a tall lad who's getting ran. It's getting ridiculous now, sick to fucking death of it. He's either stubborn to KK levels or has his head in the sand to it, it's so bloody obvious.

People have been saying "he will learn" every time - Yet the same thing as when he came here is still the problem - The gap between defensive unit and midfield unit is still there, its been there since he took over and he has not fucking learned no matter how many goals has come through the big gap. Then we have the "Dan Burn MUST start" thing. Came straight back in after his injury even though Tino has been great. And yet again Burn has been rinsed on his side and wasnt taken off until he really cooked it up. He needs to wake up.