Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If it doesn’t turn around next season then my view on Howe will harden.  

I don't think this is controversial at all, fwiw. If we keep Bruno, invest well and keep the squad fit, we ought to make a stronger claim for the top six. If the team becomes no longer (at least) equal to the sum of its parts, it'll be fair to question whether he's the most suitable option long-term.

5 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

If we end the season behind Wolves and West Ham that'd be a bit of a disappointment. 

I think I'm more concerned that despite now not having European or League Cup fixtures to contend with and players gradually returning from injury our form has shown no signs of improvement. As I said earlier we have a friendly run of fixtures coming up so there's still time to change the narrative.

Before yesterday we where unbeaten in 5.

It will be what PIF decide at the end of the day. We have players returning and a decent run of games coming after playing all of the top 4 teams. Tuesday is a huge game, as defeat in that and the pressure will be fully ramped up. I'm fully expecting results to improve from now. If not, I'm not sure if PIF will have the patience.

I have maintained since the summer that our transfer window then and now again in January, has not improved the first 11 (Tonali we never got a chance to see). Will it be a lesson learned season or will PIF decide on changes? Time will tell with the forthcoming results.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

From an optics point of view it could be damaging but if we finished say 11th as opposed to 8th I don't really see how it would dramatically re-define the season. 

We're in a mini-league with Brighton, West Ham, Chelsea and Wolves and the finishing places for those five are pretty interchangeable, imo.

Didn’t we finish 11th when Howe took over? I do think it would rightfully be looked at as a failure if we finished outside the top 10 this season tbh. 

57 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Wolves will likely go above us today and you think we’re over-performing because 32 year old Callum Wilson in injured as per? Have a word. 

Is that our primary striker Callum Wilson? Just 1 of a plethora of injured players impacting our season. 
What do you think our poor form is down to then? Eddie suddenly turning into a bad manager??

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Being outside the top 10 would surely be looked on as a really poor season ? 

Of course but not surprising considering the injuries is my point.

If you can't physically drop poor performing players because you don't have a viable alternative then what can your expectations realistically be? 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Of course but not surprising considering the injuries is my point.

If you can't physically drop poor performing players because you don't have a viable alternative then what can your expectations realistically be? 

As it stands now though we may not have that issue for the rest of the season (obviously we may pick up more injuries). If we fail to finish top 10 with our run in and players coming back then it’s been a really poor season imo.

I think teams have cottoned on to our frailties in our tactical shape and exposed it massively this season. The amount of times one ball and the opposition are in has happened is concerning. And we haven't been able to sort that out since the start of the season. 

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Before yesterday we where unbeaten in 5.

Before yesterday we had two league wins in eight games and taken just eight points in total. Borderline relegation numbers. Stats are fun.

Surely nobody can look at a run of results that includes a loss at Luton, losing at home to Forest and picking up two points from home games against Bournemouth and Luton and think "Yep, we're turning a corner now"?

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

True, our performances outside of the villa game where poor though imo.

He posted this as a response to prove results are getting better - before that we were losing then we weren’t so things are getting better, poor performances and all.

Are people actually turning on Howe [emoji38]

We have the stupidest moron fanbase at times.

We'll finish in the top 10, which is a reasonable placement for the unfortunate events that have gone on, mega, mega injuries I'd dare say longest in my nearly 40yrs support, and a bizarre transfer window, one key player unavailable, the other advised badly, stopping the manager being able to use him effectively.

Howe is doing well with what he's got, people need to just apply common sense at times.

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

If we end the season behind Wolves and West Ham that'd be a bit of a disappointment. 

I think I'm more concerned that despite now not having European or League Cup fixtures to contend with and players gradually returning from injury our form has shown no signs of improvement. As I said earlier we have a friendly run of fixtures coming up so there's still time to change the narrative.

I dont disagree it'd be disappointing but I'm willing to attribute a significant proportion of the blame for that on our injuries. 

If you accept players have performed poorly then surely you must accept the limitations on a managers who's physically unable to drop them?

As for people coming back and form, prior to yesterday we were unbeaten in 5 and who exactly has come back thst changes the dynamic of the situation we find ourselves in? We don't even have strikers who can string 8 games together. 

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

We'll finish in the top 10, which is a reasonable placement for the unfortunate events that have gone on, mega, mega injuries I'd dare say longest in my nearly 40yrs support, and a bizarre transfer window, one key player unavailable, the other advised badly, stopping the manager being able to use him effectively.

Howe is doing well with what he's got, people need to just apply common sense at times.

There are no guarantees we finish top 10 mind. I’m not calling for Howe to be sacked either.

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Before yesterday we had two league wins in eight games and taken just eight points in total. Borderline relegation numbers. Stats are fun.

Surely nobody can look at a run of results that includes a loss at Luton, losing at home to Forest and picking up two points from home games against Bournemouth and Luton and think "Yep, we're turning a corner now"?

Borderline relegation yet no relegation battle, wonder why that is? Because with a full squad he got good results and got the job done. Seriously be careful what you wish for when hounding a manager out.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

It’s not that common mate

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Didn’t we finish 11th when Howe took over? I do think it would rightfully be looked at as a failure if we finished outside the top 10 this season tbh. 

The target is to qualify for Europe so it would definitely be a failure. So would finishing in 8th; the specific table position is pretty irrelevant up to a point imo. If you were to argue that finishing in the same position we did two years ago represents a lack of progress then you'd be ignoring all context. 

9 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Borderline relegation yet no relegation battle, wonder why that is? Because with a full squad he got good results and got the job done. Seriously be careful what you wish for when hounding a manager out.

"Hounding a manager out" [emoji38]

Honestly this place cracks me up. I'm not sure how there apparently isn't a difference between "Our form has been disappointing" and "Howe must be sacked" :dontknow:

My point about relegation form was more to prove the "five games unbeaten" shtick pointless. It's easy to manipulate stats to prove/disprove whatever you like. 

My position is this - Howe has earned the right to have another transfer window to shape the squad. Next season, with 3 or 4 additions, Tonali returning and either no European football or one of the second-tier competitions, I expect he'll have us in and around the top 6. I also think a run of games including Luton (H & A), Forest (H & A) and Bournemouth (H) probably should have produced more than five points.

Edited by Keegans Export

I think in the summer Howe needs to be ruthless with this squad - it’s obvious where we need to strengthen - CB - LB - CM - RW - CF, the likes of Targett, Hall, Longstaff, Almiron and Wilson need disposing of - the quality and depth in quality needs increasing

7 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Is he hounding him out though? It seems if anyone has an opinion that we ain't playing well whether that be form the system the use of subs him not learning we get labelled heed the balls and entitled. 

13 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

On present form we won’t finish in the top ten - though finishing outside it wouldn’t see me wanting him sacked.  I probably would if we were in that position this time next year, though. 

22 minutes ago, RS said:

Is that our primary striker Callum Wilson? Just 1 of a plethora of injured players impacting our season. 
What do you think our poor form is down to then? Eddie suddenly turning into a bad manager??

He’s not our primary striker, nor should be treated like one given his unreliability and the fact with everyone fit we’re genuinely better without him.

Poor form is down to a number of things; Howe’s still a very good manager in my book but he doesn’t get a free pass. You saying with the injuries we currently have we’re nowhere near a top 10 side is absurd. I don’t think 37 points from 26 games is over-performing.

Edited by Ronaldo

27 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think this is controversial at all, fwiw. If we keep Bruno, invest well and keep the squad fit, we ought to make a stronger claim for the top six. If the team becomes no longer (at least) equal to the sum of its parts, it'll be fair to question whether he's the most suitable option long-term.

Who are the top six these days though? You might argue its fair to say there's a definitive top two or three, but Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, even the side currently top of the league this season finished outside the top six last season.

Since the takeover we are now floating around with, Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton, Villa, West Ham, and Chelsea, sides trying to make a claim for European football. 

That's already progress, we used to be floating around with, Palace,Fulham,Wolves,Everton, Brentford, hoping for mid table.

And prior to that fought relegation a few seasons on the trot.

I really don't mind the slow progress at all.

Edited by mighty__mag

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Who are the top six these days though? You might argue its fair to say there's a definitive top two or three, but Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, even the side currently top of the league this season finished outside the top six last season.

Since the takeover we are now floating around with, Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton, Villa, West Ham, and Chelsea, sides trying to make a claim for European football. 

That's already progress, we used to be floating around with, Palace,Fulham,Wolves,Everton, Brentford, hoping for mid table.

And prior to that fought relegation a few seasons on the trot.

I really don't mind the slow progress at all.

All very well...but last nights performance looked like Bruce-ball at its worst!