Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I’ll need to watch that again to try and make sense of it because I struggled to ascertain what the plan was.

I think it was the semi-press approach of pressing in periods without fully committing to it and not across the whole match. It worked, to an extent.

Besides that I saw a more conservative approach which I assume was to try and keep the goals out, Lascelles with an absolute brain fart preventing that from happening.

It wasn’t pretty, it was a bit desperate at times but we got there in the end.

Howe looked like, for the first time, to be feeling the pressure. He looked a bit desperate at times. The subs were still not my cup of tea, but at least it was an improvement on Saturday, although that is a very low bar to meet.

A big test at the weekend. Not looking forward to Neto. Heres hoping we build on this and get a win. At this stage, with the players we now have back, a draw wouldn’t be good enough.

If nowt else it’s become increasingly obvious why we bought Tonali as someone else who can put their foot on the ball and slow the game down a bit. 

The things at play here arent a rush of blood to the head. I don't think he will be here first game next year regardless of what happens from now because of a few very important moments that add up. Its not knee jerk, so just a few points:

• Our defence has been on a rapid decline since around February last season when the brilliant streak of not conceding ended. It has steadily declined to a point now where most attacks lead to a chance or an effort at goal
  • Our lack of ability to change into new systems to deal with both in game situations and pre game tactical issues is startling
  • An example of refusing to make subs to impact a game is being shown every game. Please remember Wolves away when we wre struggling, trippier was having a mare and Eddie did nothing
  • We are playing player who haven't trained or who are struggling with niggles. If you want a prime example, in the Carabao against Chelsea we sent an injured gordon out after HT and allowed him to play on for about 10 minutes which furthered his issues
  • Despite players coming back and being 3 goals up we do not make subs to bring on players, even a Ritchie to see out 10 relatively easy minutes

It's very much a Bielsa moment for us at the moment. Eddie did an amazing job but the injuries we receive are muscle based, exactly what was happening at Leeds when players were playing in the red. If you look at the above and some of the other instances people will raise then it isnt just a snap reaction, its the acceptance of a large list of instances and decided we do not think they will improve over the coming months and into the new season

12 minutes ago, Parsley said:

To be fair, if Lascelles doesn't drop that clanger, I think we see the game out comfortably and probably grab another goal. Momentum was well with us at that point after the triple sub. 

So you’re saying if we’d scored more goals than them we would have won?

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

If nowt else it’s become increasingly obvious why we bought Tonali as someone else who can put their foot on the ball and slow the game down a bit. 

From what I’ve seen and read. That’s not really his game. But he would have more pass and move ability than any nom Bruno CM by a distance. 

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

From what I’ve seen and read. That’s not really his game. But he would have more pass and move ability than any nom Bruno CM by a distance. 

Know what you mean and he’s not specifically that type of player but clearly being able to take and play the ball under pressure and play one touch or round the corner would improve us so much. That and Bruno seemingly running in glue a lot of the time and no one covering when he pressing too far. Anyway, it’s a whole different conversation.

If there's one thing tactically I'm weary of seeing it's Trippier in that centre-midfield position. Honestly don't feel like it offers us anything substantial, meanwhile leaving Lascelles to trip over his feet in the auxiliary RB position, and leaving the centre prone to gaps when Fab goes walkabout.

Just keep him on the right. He builds play well enough from there. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

If there's one thing tactically I'm weary of seeing it's Trippier in that centre-midfield position. Honestly don't feel like it offers us anything substantial, meanwhile leaving Lascelles to trip over his feet in the auxiliary RB position, and leaving the centre prone to gaps when Fab goes walkabout.

Is it not more of a help out with numbers in midfield move? That's what I've seen it as, that Howe can see we have a problem there. 

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Know what you mean and he’s not specifically that type of player but clearly being able to take and play the ball under pressure and play one touch would improve us so much. That and Bruno seemingly running in glue a lot of the time and no one covering when he pressed too far.

It's not that strange when last season Eddie spoke about needing to control and dominate games, more that we went and got someone who's role that is and that they've done it at elite level. Tonali was Longstaffs replacement in the XI, not role in the team.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Is it not more of a help out with numbers in midfield move? That's what I've seen it as, that Howe can see we have a problem there. 

Got to be, but I'm failing to see a net gain so far. 

Still, no plan B etc. 

34 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Tuchel is about to end up with no trophies at the easiest club to win at least one trophy in all of football.

Great choice.

You don’t have to worry, the poster is garbage who posts nothing but nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It happens canny infrequently/randomly so I wonder if it's just a decoy vehicle to keep folks guessing rather than being a genuine tactical plan. Probably helps save Tripps' legs a bit too.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don’t even think it was a thing tonight bar that weird 10 seconds which was overhammed to the extreme by York affiliated comms. Last thing we needed tonight was more people in the middle building the game up. 

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

It happens canny infrequently/randomly so I wonder if it's just a decoy vehicle to keep folks guessing rather than being a genuine tactical plan. Probably helps save Tripps' legs a bit too.

Not taking every sodding set piece from the left would help in that regard as well. 

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

I don’t even think it was a thing tonight bar that weird 10 seconds which was overhammed to the extreme by York affiliated comms. Last thing we needed tonight was more people in the middle building the game up. 

:lol: 

It would seem with every passing week more and more people are coming to my way of thinking when it comes to EH.. I’ve thought his goose has been cooked for months now and nothing I’ve seen, even the odd win, has changed my mind. We need a change.

I like him though.. maybe not quite as much as Rafa but he’s always represented us very well so I’m annoyed that this will probably drag on long enough that the good memories will be overshadowed by the pure frustration of watching the team at the moment.

Not As much as rafa?

Howe has gave me more memories in 18 months than rafa could have gave me in a lifetime

Bar the odd game in the championship the football used to bore me to tears

Edited by jack j

We've had what circa two brilliant years with Howe, which surpassed all expectation, followed by a rough 3-4 months initiated by an unprecedented injury crisis.

Tough crowd.

Edited by The Prophet

I loved Rafa but must agree, Howe is massively ahead of him. Can’t think of an NUFC manager since Sir Bobby I’ve enjoyed as much as Howe.

Edited by Big Jow

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

It would seem with every passing week more and more people are coming to my way of thinking when it comes to EH.. I’ve thought his goose has been cooked for months now and nothing I’ve seen, even the odd win, has changed my mind. We need a change.

I like him though.. maybe not quite as much as Rafa but he’s always represented us very well so I’m annoyed that this will probably drag on long enough that the good memories will be overshadowed by the pure frustration of watching the team at the moment.

Would it, though?

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Would it, though?

He’s got enough credit built up so that recent performances will be met with a general apathy.. there’s no genuine anger yet but there will be.

If we’d played like that with Steve Bruce as manager, there’d be multiple posts of cabbages and die in a house fire type rants.

But that’s how bad we’ve been playing lately.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

And as I and others have mentioned. I think this is a confidence and composure thing in the main. Which links to motivation.  

Confidence and composure have absolutely nothing to do with motivation, howay man. :lol: