Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, gjohnson said:

There are clear and obvious mistakes being made. Burn is constantly targeted by the opposition as they know he's not going to do anything useful with regard to attack and is too slow physically and mentally to be effective against a competent opponent.

The opposition can see it, we can see it, hell even the Sky numpties can see it. Why doesn't EH? Its not like he doesn't have the option to change in that position with Targett, Livramento, Hall, and even Krath being able to play there.

Only reason I can think is that EH thinks Burn is one of the leaders given that he was Captain vs Chelsea. He has been useful in the past but is clearly not the answer to the question everyone but EH has been asked

Fat chance of that with (Until Monday) one leg like :lol: 

43 minutes ago, Displayname said:

You thought we were decent against City? I remember Isak and Gordon scoring 2 wonder goals and City being totally dominant the rest of the match, but couldnt get the goals until De Bruyne came on.

And that list of bad performances is just a little teaser of the full list(which I definitely would include City on).

We where very good against City for the first half, second half we couldn’t keep up the intensity or make any good subs and lost to the best team in the world in the last minute.

Its madness how quickly it has all just fell apart,  to think how good we looked in that home game against Man United only three months ago, we only won 1-0 but it could have been 3, 4 or 5 really with how well we played, this was a week after hammering Chelsea 4-1 and 3 days after being robbed by the ref of a win in Paris.  You would never in a million years have foreseen how badly our season would collapse after that week, yet Pope got injured then Trippier lost his head at Everton a few days later and we have never been the same since. Still fully 100% behind Eddie whatever happens in the remainder of the season. but its obvious we need a big clear out in the summer and I just hope he is ruthless enough to do it, as if he isn't and we start next season badly playing the same way we are now then its going to be hard to continue defending him.

Edited by Geogaddi

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Fat chance of that with (Until Monday) one leg like :lol: 

I'll be proud to see Man City roughly taking us from behind without lube on Sat 😅

People wanting Howe to be ruthless in the summer regarding the squad, probably easier said than done considering FFP. Even harder considering we won’t exactly be getting big money for anyone who we would like to get rid of.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We where very good against City for the first half, second half we couldn’t keep up the intensity or make any good subs and lost to the best team in the world in the last minute.

First half was pretty good with two great counterattack goals and not letting them get to many chances. I will concede on that. 

19 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

There are clear and obvious mistakes being made. Burn is constantly targeted by the opposition as they know he's not going to do anything useful with regard to attack and is too slow physically and mentally to be effective against a competent opponent.

The opposition can see it, we can see it, hell even the Sky numpties can see it. Why doesn't EH? Its not like he doesn't have the option to change in that position with Targett, Livramento, Hall, and even Krath being able to play there.

Only reason I can think is that EH thinks Burn is one of the leaders given that he was Captain vs Chelsea. He has been useful in the past but is clearly not the answer to the question everyone but EH has been asked

For better or worse Burn is in the side for i) height ii) to drop into a back three when we have the ball. The debate is then, is Livramento so far ahead of him in terms of ability that he offsets that? I think he probably is.

That said, Trippier, Botman and Burn have all gone through poor runs of form and have been targeted to various extents this season. Our back line is painfully slow, no Pope means they aren't confident enough to push up and a midfield of Longstaff-Bruno-Miley has left them exposed and easy to pull around the park. So while Burn has had his share of poor games, I do feel he is scapegoated at times.

23 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Its madness how quickly it has all just fell apart,  to think how good we looked in that home game against Man United only three months ago, we only won 1-0 but it could have been 3, 4 or 5 really with how well we played, this was a week after hammering Chelsea 4-1 and 3 days after being robbed by the ref of a win in Paris.  You would never in a million years have foreseen how badly our season would collapse after that week, yet Pope got injured then Trippier lost his head at Everton a few days later and we have never been the same since. Still fully 100% behind Eddie whatever happens in the remainder of the season. but its obvious we need a big clear out in the summer and I just hope he is ruthless enough to do it, as if he isn't and we start next season badly playing the same way we are now then its going to be hard to continue defending him.

Eh, Pretty quickly after Villa I felt we didn't look the same team as last season. What was that stretch we had after AV, lost 3 of 4, or 4 or 5, or around that. I guess the mollifying factor, from the outset, was that we were supposed to have a down season after qualifying for CL, so it didn't quite shock the nerves then.

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

People wanting Howe to be ruthless in the summer regarding the squad, probably easier said than done considering FFP. Even harder considering we won’t exactly be getting big money for anyone who we would like to get rid of.

A big clear out would only be possible if it’s funded with sales of BG and/or Isak. People got to be realistic

We look much more solid at the back and composed as a team when we have a fit, in form Trippier in there. I think it underestimated just what an influence he can be

12 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Eh, Pretty quickly after Villa I felt we didn't look the same team as last season. What was that stretch we had after AV, lost 3 of 4, or 4 or 5, or around that. I guess the mollifying factor, from the outset, was that we were supposed to have a down season after qualifying for CL, so it didn't quite shock the nerves then.

City, Liverpool then Brighton. Then we drew with Milan, beat Sheff United 8-0, City in the cup, Burnley, PSG 4-1, drew at WH, smashed Palace.

22 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

We lost to Liverpool, City and Brighton after Villa, hardly surprising results, we then lost one of our next 9 league games including beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United in the league. We also hammered PSG during that time, took Man United apart at Old Trafford and beat Man City in the cup, we hammered Sheff United 8-0. At this point in the season everyone was happy. It was the Everton game it all started to fall apart.

Edited by Geogaddi

54 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

When Nick Pope got injured, basically.

Just now, Greg said:

When Nick Pope got injured, basically.

Carragher made a point the other night that I do agree with, whilst Pope has undoubtedly been a huge miss for us you cant blame us falling apart as badly as we have on our goalkeeper getting injured.

16 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Carragher made a point the other night that I do agree with, whilst Pope has undoubtedly been a huge miss for us you cant blame us falling apart as badly as we have on our goalkeeper getting injured.

The midfield has left us defensively exposed too. Longstaff has been in poor form since returning from injury, Miley is inexperienced and Bruno on his own lacks the athleticism to compensate for the other two.

20 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

No, you also need to consider the other 27 injuries. 

https://theathletic.com/5332174/2024/03/12/michael-edwards-liverpool-fsg-profile/

I never knew about this – I’m certain they’ll go for an elite manager when Klopp goes but you never know especially with Hughes coming as sporting director from Bournemouth

After everything that has happened since Klopp arrived on Merseyside, it can feel like a trick of the imagination that Liverpool gave serious consideration to hiring Eddie Howe rather than the man who, eight and a half years later, counts as Anfield royalty.

Howe was on a three-man shortlist with Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti for the manager’s position and it was part of Edwards’ job, then as Liverpool’s technical director, to determine who had the outstanding credentials to replace Brendan Rodgers.

Ancelotti passed all the criteria in terms of his record in the Champions League and the statistics relating to his teams at Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid, but his transfer record counted against him because the system devised by Edwards and Liverpool’s analysts deliberately placed less emphasis on a manager’s recruitment in his first year.

Their theory was that a manager might not have the ultimate say when it came to transfer business during his first season but, in years two, three, four and five, that manager’s influence would be greater and signings would not happen without his input.

A lot of Ancelotti’s recruits were deemed to be on the older side and that jarred with Liverpool’s thinking. Edwards wanted players aged 26 or under who were approaching their peak years and would still have a re-sale value three or four years later.

Howe, now at Newcastle United, was managing Bournemouth and had a reputation for developing younger players and playing attractive football.

He had also been a player at Portsmouth when Edwards was starting out at the south coast club. Their friendship, however, never came into it. Howe did not have the experience of competing in the Champions League, whereas Klopp ticked every box in terms of achievement, transfer business and playing style. Edwards made his recommendation to FSG and left them to get on with the business of making it happen.

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You can blame injuries, but we have the worst away defence in the league along with Sheff United.

Even our make shift team should have a better defence than that.

I just can't understand our tactics vs Chelsea. Chelsea have struggled to defend counters and go up against a low block all season no idea why we didn't do that.

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Injuries has a massive impact in December no doubt about it but it's getting harder and harder to use the injury excuse now though , performances against the likes of Luton and Bournemouth at home , as well as Blackburn away have been shambolic an that was against teams where we had a much better starting line up than they did . Even against Chelsea the other night , they were poor but we were just even worse and that's wasn't really anything to do with injuries .

EH must be absolutely shattered. For his mental health I hope there is no downward pressure on league position this year and he can concentrate on performances with a view to next year.

Feels like he’s had to spend far too much of this season choosing between bad and worse. Must be incredibly taxing.

I understand how it helps our profile having some form of European football regularly. Will help recruitment imo. Players will become used to seeing the club playing against continental teams. I’m sure that will help. But this year just feels like a write off. If they believe he is our SAF then have to give him a bye this season after everything.

If they have doubts though or all the board are not aligned there’s gonna be a weird atmosphere at the club.

It's a snowball affect.

Some will, somewhat rightly, point out that our performances have hardly improved since players have returned and fixture congestion has easied.

I'd argue that the damage was already done. The bulk of our first team are certainly mentally fatigued and probably physically fatigued too. Their confidence is shot and to add to that they've still got annoying injuries still occurring throughout the squad and key players missing too. It's been like a game of whack-a-mole for some time.

Personally, I think at the soonest opportunity we need to bring, Miley, Anderson, Targett, Lascelles and maybe even Krafth into the starting 11. Some fresh legs and fresh minds. If we still lose, cest la vie.

In the summer we need some signings who haven't been traumatised by this seasons hardships.

34 minutes ago, STM said:

It's a snowball affect.

Some will, somewhat rightly, point out that our performances have hardly improved since players have returned and fixture congestion has easied.

I'd argue that the damage was already done. The bulk of our first team are certainly mentally fatigued and probably physically fatigued too. Their confidence is shot and to add to that they've still got annoying injuries still occurring throughout the squad and key players missing too. It's been like a game of whack-a-mole for some time.

Totally agree with this. It's why I find the "what's the excuse now?" and "is it the fatigue again?" posts so incredibly irritating.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

EH must be absolutely shattered. For his mental health I hope there is no downward pressure on league position this year and he can concentrate on performances with a view to next year.

Feels like he’s had to spend far too much of this season choosing between bad and worse. Must be incredibly taxing.

I understand how it helps our profile having some form of European football regularly. Will help recruitment imo. Players will become used to seeing the club playing against continental teams. I’m sure that will help. But this year just feels like a write off. If they believe he is our SAF then have to give him a bye this season after everything.

If they have doubts though or all the board are not aligned there’s gonna be a weird atmosphere at the club.

unfortunately that comes with being in the premier league and having high expectations for your cloob.