Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

We weren’t horrendous but we don’t ever seem to have control of a match anymore. 

i agree but people saying we were shite and horrendous first half is a slight overreaction.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

i agree but people saying we were shite and horrendous first half is a slight overreaction.

Absolutely, the Lascelles injury didn’t help, we took 15/20 minutes or so to settle after that. Think Howe got it wrong with the sub at the time which he pretty much admitted afterwards.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We weren’t horrendous but we don’t ever seem to have control of a match anymore. 

Think that's a fair comment but most of the time that is due to how crazily vulnerable we are in transition. I still think we usually play pretty well in possession and appear in control (as was the case in the first half yesterday), which is demonstrated by the amount of goals we score. But you just know we're going to concede, usually more than once. 

Sometimes even scoring 4 isn't enough but we're canny value for money, if nothing else. Just the 114 goals for and against so far this season. :lol: By a distance the most out of anyone in the league.

On another day we score 6 yesterday. Isak and Longstaff have got to score those chances at 1-3. Especially Longstaff, miss was of hilarious levels of shitness.

We created so many chances yesterday. Hit the bar first half as well. Just felt our passing was a bit off first half and Dubravka's indecisiveness is an enormous hindrance and costs us goals regularly. Just not at the required level.

From West Ham's point of view it was a classic case of relaxing too much after going into a two-goal lead. The danger is that the opposition throws everything into attack, gets a goal back, and then the momentum of the game is entirely changed. Once we got that goal, we looked like winners.

Last season, our back five always seemed better than the sum of its parts, and that was down to Eddie's preparation. This season, there's been a lot of chopping and changing due to injuries, and the vulnerability of some individuals has been exposed - in particular their lack of pace.

There's a lot of speculation about whether Eddie can take us to the 'next level', but our available squad this season hasn't looked anything like the 'next level'. 

I'm still backing Eddie. He's still learning and he does need to develop tactically, but how else does a manager who's never competed at the top end of the league, or against European clubs do that. He does it by playing as we have, in European competitions and being competitive in the top half of the Premier League.

He gains experience and hopefully that transmits to the team and what we do next season. He'll evaluate how things went and i've no doubt adjust for 24/25. Now i get those adjustments can be doubted at the moment, but he deserves the chance to show us he has developed his managerial skill set. And with improvements in the squad, because as much as we love a lot of them, a fair few are players who need to be upgraded.

And with the big scummy 6 and their unfair stranglehold on anyone getting near them and sustaining it, it's not a short road.

And if he doesn't do the above ? Then he'll regrettably get replaced.

Edited by Bimpy474

The attacking side is actually quite encouraging. Gordon and Isak are just on fire. Bruno is still controlling and creating chance as usual. Longstaff still making good runs. We still have our best player (Trippier) out and you have to give credit to Howe and the players to be able to score 4 goals.  If they are not held back by our lack of support from LB, we should be able to score even more.

And that’s why I am just so fucking furious about the cheap goals conceded. You can see Gordon need to sacrifice his ankle twice to win penalty (X2), you can see Isak playing like a world beater, and then you can see our defense line (or even the whole team) committing school boy error and ruins all the work done. The first goal conceded yesterday is ridiculous. The second goal is simply unacceptable at any level. Where the fuck is the communication about the position before taking the corner? It’s like playing against amateur level AI in FC24. 

We have been like this for months. I may be too critical for this because I am a defender in real life, but I really think this is close to the worst defence I have ever seen as a supporter of Newcastle. Injury is really not an excuse. It’s the defence discipline that is lacking everywhere. Howe has absolutely no excuse for this poor defense display, so as some of the players.

Edited by Zero

defence isn't working at all, and doesnt show sign of improvement, albeit also so disrupted by injury there are reasons but would still expect some more improvement than there has been. It's also so weird considering how good we were last season. I do think Joelinton and Pope are huge losses and maybe just impossible to replace at all in terms of their defensive contributions, however I do think Longstaff is playing below his level, he gets slagged off a bunch on here sometimes justifiably but he has played better than he is right now, maybe for lack of help but still. He has muscled the ball off teams pressed well and worked well in transition before and here he is giving ball away waaaay too much, i know technical stuff never his game but feels too eager to take risks sometimes.

Got to give Eddie time considering  the injuries. ALL season long as well as tonali.Its exciting going to watch this team to what we endured before.given time I'm sure he can be our manager for years.

To go 1 up and then concede 3 goals at home to West Ham within 46 minutes is awful. 

We concede far too many goals.  As happy as I am our defensive solidity is still nonexistent.  

Im glad Howe made those subs - admired his mistake and the lads showed they do have real fighting spirit for their manager, each other, the fans and the club 

59 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

defence isn't working at all, and doesnt show sign of improvement, albeit also so disrupted by injury there are reasons but would still expect some more improvement than there has been. It's also so weird considering how good we were last season. I do think Joelinton and Pope are huge losses and maybe just impossible to replace at all in terms of their defensive contributions, however I do think Longstaff is playing below his level, he gets slagged off a bunch on here sometimes justifiably but he has played better than he is right now, maybe for lack of help but still. He has muscled the ball off teams pressed well and worked well in transition before and here he is giving ball away waaaay too much, i know technical stuff never his game but feels too eager to take risks sometimes.

It’s starting to look like he doesn’t have a solution for the defensive solidity. He doesn’t seem willing to consistently play a Lower block. Or stick with another tactical approach. 

In the summer we just have to pick up a decent sweeper keeper.  

Tonali and Big Joe back we probably don’t need another combative midfielder

1 hour ago, Zero said:

We have been like this for months. I may be too critical for this because I am a defender in real life, but I really think this is close to the worst defence I have ever seen as a supporter of Newcastle. Injury is really not an excuse. It’s the defence discipline that is lacking everywhere. Howe has absolutely no excuse for this poor defense display, so as some of the players.

Rami Malek Reaction GIF

4 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Rami Malek Reaction GIF

I am serious. No fucking way we allowed that second goal to happen. Absolutely no fucking way.

4 minutes ago, ShootShoot said:

We shipped 3 goals at home to an average team

im talking about the first half. i dont think we were completetly shit first half as people have said.

9 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

And this is close to the worst defence?

Yep. That’s my opinion. Feel free to disagree. As I have said, the whole team looks disjoint when defending, losing shapes everywhere, keep on conceding same pattern of goals, lack of communication (or even pre match preparation), for months, and we show no signs of improvement. 

Everton 3 goals

Spurs 4 goals

Fulham clean sheet

Luton 1 goal

Forest 3 goals

Liverpool 4 goals

Man City 3 goals

Villa 1 goal

Luton 4 goals

Forest 2 goals

Bournemouth 2 goals

Arsenal 4 goals

Wolves clean sheet

Chelsea 3 goals

West Ham 3 goals

since Everton we concede 37 goals in 15 games, on average that’s 2.46 goals. That’s ridiculous

Edited by Zero

Nick Pope - Shoulder
Joelinton - Groin
Callum Wilson - Chest
Miggy - ??
Kieran Trippier - Calf
Livramento - Ankle
Tonali - Betting suspension
Botman - ACL
Lewis Miley - Back
Jamaal Lascelles - ACL
Antony Gordon - Red Card Suspension
Emil Krafth-??
:hunter:

Just now, astraguy said:

Nick Pope - Shoulder
Joelinton - Groin
Callum Wilson - Chest
Miggy - ??
Kieran Trippier - Calf
Livramento - Ankle
Tonali - Betting suspension
Botman - ACL
Lewis Miley - Back
Jamaal Lascelles - ACL
Antony Gordon - Red Card Suspension
Emil Krafth-??
:hunter:

Miggy was knee I think

Krafth was maybe tactical?

4 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Miggy was knee I think

Krafth was maybe tactical?

Not sure if it was motd or a clip online,but I'm sure a pundit said he went off injured
From nufc.com 57 mins: Krafth also appears to be in discomfort and the substitute is substituted by Elliot Anderson.

Edited by astraguy