Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Weirdly for him that felt quite a scared set up. Back 5 hybrid, sit deep, ping long counters. 

In a way I get it in that their real talent is up top but it seemed we needed to get a grip of midfield & spread the pitch out more once the counters weren't working, especially as they play 2 in midfield.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Just a bad day at the office IMO.  A collective failure - hopefully there’ll be a correction at the weekend, and doubly hopefully we won’t see Burn LB Murphy RB Krafth CB

I’d agree if it wasn’t the theme away from home pretty much all season. I expect we won’t see an improvement in it till next season now.

Edited by SUPERTOON

Yeah he got it wrong. It happens. 

Bit concerned about our terrible away form all season but one look at the midfields we’ve put out more or less explains it. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d agree if it wasn’t the theme away from home pretty much all season. I expect we won’t see an improvement in it till next season now.

Yeah, the away performances are a concern this season.  Very passive - I’m hoping with fit squad next year that it stops

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Just a bad day at the office IMO.  A collective failure - hopefully there’ll be a correction at the weekend, and doubly hopefully we won’t see Burn LB Murphy RB Krafth CB

Those 3 names in those positions in a tough away match against a team in the prem doesn’t have a good look to it.

9 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Again, didn't watch it tonight, but one of the more concerning things this season has been our lack of points against teams we should absolutely be beating. Everton, Forest, Luton, Palace. Some of those at home as well. Needs to be a real focus next season, simply can't drop points that frequently if we've ambitions on breaking into the Top6/Top4

That’s a bit harsh on palace - in the last three games they’ve beaten Liverpool, West Ham and us - keeping a clean sheet against Liverpool at their place and against us.

We have no automatic right to be “absolutely beating” them.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Those 3 names in those positions in a tough away match against a team in the prem doesn’t have a good look to it.

Yep, and with the current available midfield they aren’t offered much protection either

I hope Hall and Livramento start at the weekend 

He wasn't prepared for their five man front press, and Wharton becoming Rodri.

Completely pushed us back and won possession easily in doing so, our players forced into passes under pressure, and getting it wrong time and time again.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

The press is virtually non existent when we play away. 

Good point. Compare that to the Spurs game. Palace was all over us with a game extra in their feet. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, and with the current available midfield they aren’t offered much protection either

Agreed midfield is also an issue at the moment 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If we want to dominate games and pass our way through the press, then we need good footballers all over the pitch. Livramento will definitely take us up another two levels on that score, and Hall looked decent tonight when he came on.

Please take the poor footballers out of our team Eddie. Let the likes of Gordon, Isak and Bruno shine by giving them some supply.

The energy levels were definitely the most annoying aspect tonight. You can forgive us being a bit sloppy when we have some pretty average footballers plugging holes, but they were first to every ball and looked more hungry. This has been the case over and over again this season away from home, from the very start. 

Just now, TRon said:

If we want to dominate games and pass our way through the press, then we need good footballers all over the pitch. Livramento will definitely take us up another two levels on that score, and Hall looked decent tonight when he came on.

Please take the poor footballers out of our team Eddie. Let the likes of Gordon, Isak and Bruno shine by giving them some supply.

Longstaff assuming he stays won’t be getting the same minutes next year. Miley will be improving and we’ll have Joelinton and Tonali back. We definitely need some more creativity though 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Definitely - Hall was one of the only bright spots vs Palace.  I know Howe is limited atm due to injuries, but we’re not going to get away with playing Murphy at RB etc too many times

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Longstaff assuming he stays won’t be getting the same minutes next year. Miley will be improving and we’ll have Joelinton and Tonali back. We definitely need some more creativity though 

Miley's still very much in development stage, but he's actually similar to Bruno in that he can usually work his way through a press. That's what we missed in too many areas tonight. He's a long way from the finished article, but he's clearly got some ability.

10 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

The big question for me is the total drop off in away games compared to home games. It's absolutely massive the difference. The press is virtually non existent when we play away. 

I don’t even know if we were wanting to press from the front today. Can barely remember Palace having the ball at the back to see if we would press high! 

2 minutes ago, Vaj said:

I don’t even know if we were wanting to press from the front today. Can barely remember Palace having the ball at the back to see if we would press high! 

It'a not just today though, it's just about every away game

Majority of our away games are a copy and paste , rinse and repeat performance.. Brighton, Luton, Everton, Wolves,  Bournemouth, Forest, Fulham and tonight.. granted we beat Forest and Fulham but we didnt turn up in those games