Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Sit infront of the defence - less responsibility to get forward. Create a solid box in defence with limited space.   

The 3 we have - massive gaps between themselves and the defence. Nobody responsible for sitting   

Plus they leave a gap between the midfield and forward line 

Not their fault - it’s the system 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

If we are going to get outplayed and we know it, then I'd prefer to adapt our tactics to nullify their strengths. Our goal came from a long ball which bypassed their press, similar to how Liverpool's goals have come against us in the last two games at St James.

Like I said, Howe's no dinosaur, he'll have learned from today and I don't expect we'll be making these mistakes in future games.

All I'll say is this. The best I've seen them perform was against Arsenal last season. Philosophy gets overused, but if a team has one and you have to pick one, you choose Arenal, the one that beats most of the league and might come unstuck once or twice, vs the one that means you're basically Everton or West Ham all the time.

Our start has been incredibly hard. We should have beaten Liverpool, of course, but that aside we're on par I think, the opening 4 was so tough that you could easily make the case of losing all 4 and still having a great season. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Well you're talking about Howe's 21 months (in which he took a team from relegation fodder to Champions League qualification) vs Tony Bloom's 14 year plan that's only come to fruition in the last couple of years, hasn't ended up in Champions League qualification yet, but along the way has had them outplaying the best teams in the league and making shit tons of money from player sales. Meanwhile, despite our success, our star player from the previous era just went for £25m and we're still trying to offload the likes of Jeff Hendrick on loan. Imo there's not a single part of that that's troubling from our point of view, it's a remarkable success.

Hear, hear. Our history leading to the lack of available outgoings will hinder us for some time yet. This isnt FIFA. 

Occasionally Brighton get an arse-kicking as well. They did last week and I've never seen anything like that display against Everton at the back end of last season, Everton could have been 6-0 up at half time and we all know how bad they are.

Bloody hell everyone's purring over Villa at the minute and they got smashed to bits off us 3 weeks ago. :lol:

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

Occasionally Brighton get an arse-kicking as well. They did last week and I've never seen anything like that display against Everton at the back end of last season, Everton could have been 6-0 up at half time and we all know how bad they are.

Bloody hell everyone's purring over Villa at the minute and they got smashed to bits off us 3 weeks ago. :lol:

We spanked these only 4 months ago ourselves. Both playing similar systems.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It would be nice to see something like 

Tonali Bruno 

Gordon Isak Barnes

Wilson

Or Almiron in there and move Gordon elsewhere. 

bang on for me too. Id be doing that versus Brentford. Gordon and Isak can really rotate a ton with that too. Id play Hall left back with that as well. Need his ability on the ball as a playmaker. 

A lot of teams are using inverted fullbacks against us and creating a numerical advantage in midfield which is really making our press less effective. A lot of work for the Gaffa to do. 

Our lack of pace In the backline plus Popes lack of confidence is really hurting our ability to compress space also. 

hopefully we can gain some confidence in the games coming up. 

It’s important not to overreact, which is why I haven’t posted since the game yesterday.

Obviously a poor performance, but I’m not particularly worried. We’ve had an awful run of fixtures. We buried Villa, lost 1-0 to City with a good defensive display but poor in possession, we played well versus Liverpool for 65 minutes and then imploded, and then had a poor performance yesterday.

That’s four really tough fixtures… three really tough in a row, which has severely hampered our chances of building early momentum.

We need the international break, and a win against Brentford. Then I think we’ll be up and running.

The one thing that I really think we need to improve upon is the midfield, though.

As much as he’s played well at times, I just don’t think Gordon is the answer on the left. When everyone is fit I’d personally return to the formation / team that we had so much success with last season, plus Tonali… just to get everything rolling again.

Pope

Tripps   Schar   Botman   Burn

Bruno

Tonali                 Willock

Miggy                          Joelinton

Isak / Wilson

That team has much more balance, IMO.

Personally I feel its a bit bland to keep reading "we've had a tough run of games" there are no "easy" games in the PL imo

I wouldn't think elite teams (which some feel we are now) don't look at the fixture list & think "Oooooooo look at them games coming up" 

It will even itself up over the season if we stick together as a fanbase & team and try and appreciate where we are ffs 

Edited by RUHRLYASLEEVESUP

11 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

I wouldn't think elite teams (which some feel we are now) don't look at the fixture list & think "Oooooooo look at them games coming up" 

I'm fairly sure if we had the fixtures you did to start the season we'd have 1 point. :lol:

Edited by Froggy

That Brighton away fixture was probably just about the worst possible, along with maybe Villa away, after our loss to Liverpool. The team needs a win in any form at the moment. Then we can progress to a runaway win and at that point the confidence will come back. I do think we’ll be massively up for it against Milan though but it’ll be a ridiculously difficult game away to them 

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We spanked these only 4 months ago ourselves. Both playing similar systems.

I'm not sure it was a similar system. Yes it was a 433 but the system of cutting off the passing channel wasn't there and I'm guessing that's down to that middle 3 not being drilled in it. Possibly concentrating on the rotation.

32 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Personally I feel its a bit bland to keep reading "we've had a tough run of games" there are no "easy" games in the PL imo

It will even itself up over the season if we stick together as a fanbase & team and try and appreciate where we are ffs 

Who thinks we are an elite team?

I think De Zerbi is a very special manager in the same mould as Pep, West Ham showed the best way to beat them is to just sit back and catch them on the break and even then you need to be very lucky.

I think they finish top 4 this season and then a big club takes De Zerbi. I think we played into their hands with our style yesterday and we still haven't clicked as a team yet with to many players off form, we'll be fine after the internationals.