Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Out of interest, when was the last time a sought after manager in their peak years left a top flight job to join a national setup? It's usually someone out of contract, in the setup or on the decline.

Spaletti?  Won Serie A with Napoli then immediately took the Italy job.

I just saw Fat Sam on Sky saying we should never give the job to a foreign manager after failing with this experiment previously, so I'm assuming we probably will go for an English manager. I just don't think the FA would take the risk of appointing a non-English candidate at this point.

From Douglas' article:

"i understands Newcastle would resist any overtures from the FA to speak to Howe. But as the club discovered with Manchester United’s interest in Ashworth, it is the attitude of the individual that really matters.

Publicly and privately Howe has consistently reaffirmed his commitment to Newcastle, repeatedly dodging the England question with his trademark straight bat. He told Gary Neville on The Overlap podcast recently that he was too focused on Newcastle to even think about England – and anyone who has witnessed his single-mindedness first-hand would testify that’s probably not a politician’s answer.

Those close to Howe admit it is a long-term ambition but international football’s prestige has dimmed over the last decade. The paucity of some of the play in Germany over the last month was in stark contrast to the vibrancy of the Premier League and Champions League, where Howe wants to prove himself. Howe desperately wants to end Newcastle’s trophy drought."

Sounds like a non-starter.

Howe is obviously going to be linked because he's by far the best English manager.  And I can see why it would appeal to him too.  With this squad he'd have to be confident he could win the next World Cup.

13 minutes ago, Troll said:

Spaletti?  Won Serie A with Napoli then immediately took the Italy job.

He'd already left Napoli when the Italy job came up though (after Mancini went to Saudi). It wasn't like he left the job for the Italy one directly.

I think the point that managers very rarely leave club jobs following an international approach. I can't even think of any examples tbh.

Edited by ponsaelius

8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

He'd already left Napoli when the Italy job came up though (after Mancini went to Saudi). It wasn't like he left the job for the Italy one directly.

I think the point that managers very rarely leave club jobs following an international approach. I can't even think of any examples tbh.

Big Sam at the mackems [emoji38]

39 minutes ago, TRon said:

I just saw Fat Sam on Sky saying we should never give the job to a foreign manager after failing with this experiment previously, so I'm assuming we probably will go for an English manager. I just don't think the FA would take the risk of appointing a non-English candidate at this point.

Mind you, he also said that there are currently only two English managers in the Premier League - Eddie and Shaun Dyche. Gary O'Neil might have something to say about that.

I'm confident now is not the time for him, but it will be awfully tempting if he's asked given his general interest in it and the players available.

The wild card to me, as someone mentioned, is how his family is doing, how settled they are, etc.

They won’t go for Howe.

They need someone who is going to big the players from the big clubs all the time. Howe will drop obvious players day in day out if he feels that they can’t work to his standards.

Pushing shirts that say Kane on the back is more important than playing Watkins and winning the Euro’s.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Well that Fat idiots opinion should be thrown in the sea.  Best man for the job, whatever nationality or preference in pies.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Allardyce is one.  :icon_puke_r:

Hopefully this is the reason Potter is still out of work, just quiting for the call, saying that Southgate was unusually pig headed this tournament so he might yet stay