Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

16 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Yeah fuck commas.

It's clearly not nonsense, think if we have a bad start we are going to give him another season not bothering champions league with our PSR nonsense issues? And again Howe is great, this is not going to happen but I can understand why bookies have him as a favourite

I’m not sure you do considering you’ve failed to name the main reason why he’s favourite. 

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He’s under less pressure as it stands given we haven’t made any major transfers. We go into next week with a weaker starting 11 than at the beginning of last season (as it stands currently).

Don't disagree, again just can understand the wavelength the betting odds are on. 

17 minutes ago, SteV said:

Surely that applies to just about everyone of the top 7 teams?

If Liverpool are 11th at Xmas, Slot will probably be out on his arse. Same for Ten Hag. 

Again don't disagree I just can at least understand betting companies there. Slot will be given time more likely though. Ten Hag yeah can definitely see him being sacked. 

18 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Yeh I can sort of understand it from an outsider putting what they know together and drawing a conclusion, but I’ve just not got the impression that we’re run by idiots, short-termists or hotheads. It’s interesting food for thought to wonder what happens if we finish 7th again in similar circumstances (injuries everywhere), mind.

I definitely think their perception of our owners is wrong, I'm with you on that, however I also don't think it is short termist of them to be concerned if we look far away from champions league money. Look at what happened when we missed it this year panic sales and nearly getting points deductions. Unfortunately now failing to achieve league position does have tremendous long term impact. A few more wins last season we still have Minteh if he goes on to be a world beater could have been a massive sliding doors moment for us. (we will be fine and find other world beaters). 

I'm not saying I think Howe will be sacked, I am saying I can understand the chain of logic that he is at risk. 

24 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Yeh I can sort of understand it from an outsider putting what they know together and drawing a conclusion, but I’ve just not got the impression that we’re run by idiots, short-termists or hotheads. It’s interesting food for thought to wonder what happens if we finish 7th again in similar circumstances (injuries everywhere), mind.

Most football owners in general are somewhat impatient. They have already proven that they are not hotheads, but that doesn't mean that Howe is immune. I'm sure they consider the injuries and other things last season, but likewise we now have a fully fit squad and no Europe. So currently there's no excuse to a poor first 2-3 months of the season. We would probably have to be mid table or so for it to be a discussion (apart from the usual media gibberish), so I definelty wouldn't put my money on it, hence why it's still not reasonable to have him as the nr 1 most likely one to get fired.

Edited by Erikse

14 minutes ago, Ash said:

I’m not sure you do considering you’ve failed to name the main reason why he’s favourite. 

I did read back at my first post, I think I misjudged what I wrote a bit, I said no doubt he will be gone which is flat out completely wrong, sorry in the middle of stuff was poorly worded, I should have said essentially if the owners lose hope early of a better finish to this season than last because of a bad start (and i mean terrible start, not moderate) I think he would be replaced, which is what the betting companies are suggesting. I wouldn't myself put the odds anywhere near that because Howe is really good and I'm sure we will have a good start and nothing worse than an average one. Anyway sorry for the first post, hope that clarifies. I don't agree he should be favourite but i can understand why the betting companies may be thinking that way. 

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Most football owners in general are somewhat impatient. They have already proven that they are not hotheads, but that doesn't mean that Howe is immune. I'm sure they consider the injuries and other things last season, but likewise we now have a fully fit squad and no Europe. So currently there's no excuse to a poor first 2-3 months of the season. We would probably have to be mid table or so for it to be a discussion (apart from the usual media gibberish), so I definelty wouldn't put my money on it, hence why it's still not reasonable at all to have him as the most likely one.

This is basically where I am at, and I agree actually surely one of the promoted team maangers gets the sack first regardless, but I still think people underplay staverley being gone a bit in all this, she was on record as his big champion. But we're not run by hasty hotheads so yes in that sense the betting companies miscalculate, but in general football manager terms the ingredients are in the mix a bit imo. I do stand by Howe being under more pressure having been given time and patience, I don't think he starts the season blank slate. 

I think what's happened here is I have decided to pick the silliest hill to die on here somewhat given that 

a) I don't think Howe will be sacked

b) I don't think Howe deserves to be sacked

c) I think the betting companies are basically wrong

but I do see the chain of logic that gets them to their conclusion. 

And for this minor quibble over essentially semantics I am apparenly pissing the bed. I am mainly wondering a) why everyone is so furious at me for such a minor thing and b) why I bothered to argue this incredibly pedantic minor point in short

Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

19 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Don't disagree, again just can understand the wavelength the betting odds are on. 

He's still 2nd favourite for the England job which he's pretty much said he doesn't want. That's probably something to do with it

1 hour ago, jack j said:

That Dom Solanke signing people used to use as a stick to beat Eddie with didn't end up too badly for Bournemouth did it..

Tbf a manager should sign players that will benefit himself and the team while he’s there, not a couple of managers later.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Tbf a manager should sign players that will benefit himself and the team while he’s there, not a couple of managers later.

The only manager that should take credit for Solanke becoming the player he is now is Iraola.

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

I think what's happened here is I have decided to pick the silliest hill to die on here somewhat given that 

a) I don't think Howe will be sacked

b) I don't think Howe deserves to be sacked

c) I think the betting companies are basically wrong

but I do see the chain of logic that gets them to their conclusion. 

And for this minor quibble over essentially semantics I am apparenly pissing the bed. I am mainly wondering a) why everyone is so furious at me for such a minor thing and b) why I bothered to argue this incredibly pedantic minor point in short

Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

But why bother your arse over scenarios you don't think will happen?

It's as pointlessly depressive as adding a reminder alarm for every morning in your calendar app with the words "One day closer to Eddie leaving. :(".