Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I don’t think we’re close to panic stations - we just look a bit rusty and ‘off’.  We’ve also had pretty much all our key players look out of form - which happens at pretty much every club - and we’re playing with two not-so-technical centre backs which isn’t helping.

If we’re lower mid table at Xmas, then I’m comfortable with asking more searching questions.  

Was definitely better than Bournemouth that performance, albeit still with issues to resolve.

We need to take the positive that we've got 4/6 points and negotiated an away cup tie to another PL side without putting together a fully cohesive performance yet. It'll evolve and improve as fitness does and with the addition of Tonali and hopefully some late business in the form of Guehi or someone else who can pass the ball from the centre at the back.

We need to be stronger with set plays both attacking and defending, and need to find a way to get Isak into the action properly. Other than the build up to the goal I didn't think we did him many favours although I did also think he himself was poor on the night.

If we can get Guehi or a good alternative in tomorrow it'll feel much better all round.

Edited by Pilko

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

I'm not saying that everything is perfect but to call today's performance 'absolute garbage' or even fortunate is bed-wetting at its best, like leaving the atmosphere grade.

We'll look much better when we are starting Schär-Burn or hopefully Schär-Guehi/someone else soon with zero disrespect to Burn and Krafth.

Picking up away wins with two full-backs at centre-back is very good going tbf.

Jokes aside, fucking fair play to Krafthy. What a dependable lad; don't think he's really put a foot wrong in the last couple games. 

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Was definitely better than Bournemouth that performance, albeit still with issues to resolve.

We need to take the positive that we've got 4/6 points and negotiated an away cup tie to another PL side without putting together a fully cohesive performance yet. It'll evolve and improve as fitness does and with the addition of Tonali and hopefully some late business in the form of Guehi or someone else who can pass the ball from the centre at the back.

We need to be stronger with set plays both attacking and defending, and need to find a way to get Isak into the action properly. Other than the build up to the goal I didn't think we did him many favours although I did also think he himself was poor on the night.

If we can get Guehi or a good alternative in tomorrow it'll feel much better all round.

The Isak thing has been bugging me for a while. He's brilliant no doubt, elite even. Worth easily twice what we paid for him and then the rest. Yet we don't seem to consistently get the best out of him and he has far too many games where he's chasing down blind alleys and looking out of sorts and a bit frustrated. It's something we need to improve upon and like everything else, i'm sure it'll click soon. 

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Fully agree that everything is not perfect. I think there was a feeling amongst most of us that we would just pick up and go ballistic from minute 1, no Europe to hinder us after all. That hasn't happened but we can't play any worse, it'll get better and a signing by the weekend would certainly help.

Just re the no Europe thing, that surely only kicks in a couple of months into the season when other teams need to juggle their squad through tiredness or injuries, whereas you get a chance to train and plan between games, imo.

4 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Bet Howe is still pissed about the pre season he was forced into.

Could've been done in a smarter way that would benefit the players not just the clubs pockets.

Was he forced into it though?

Didn’t we reject an tournament somewhere in favour of doing what we wanted?

Just now, Abacus said:

Just re the no Europe thing, that surely only kicks in a couple of months into the season when other teams need to juggle their squad through tiredness or injuries, whereas you get a chance to train and plan between games, imo.

Yeah I think there's some logic there. We're not at it 100% yet, maybe the fractured summer with too many key players being away has affected the synergy on the pitch a bit. I have to believe it will get better as Summer turns to Autumn, seen it too many times in the past. They're a great group of players who play for each other.

5 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Could've been done in a smarter way that would benefit the players not just the clubs pockets.

Think this certainly has something to do with things.

However, it's another way we can increase our commercial income and so the club is going to have to figure out how to navigate it all better, so the players are still well prepared for the season.

31 minutes ago, Wandy said:

All I have seen so far is us having a mountain of good fortune in all three games. I’m aware that stuff going on behind the scenes has obviously unsettled everyone at the club, but this luck will run out soon if things don’t improve.

:bootyshake:

32 minutes ago, Wandy said:

All I have seen so far is us having a mountain of good fortune in all three games. I’m aware that stuff going on behind the scenes has obviously unsettled everyone at the club, but this luck will run out soon if things don’t improve.

Can't remember too much good fortune tonight mind. 

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t think we’re close to panic stations - we just look a bit rusty and ‘off’.  We’ve also had pretty much all our key players look out of form - which happens at pretty much every club - and we’re playing with two not-so-technical centre backs which isn’t helping.

If we’re lower mid table at Xmas, then I’m comfortable with asking more searching questions.  

We will be in the top four by CHRISTMAS.

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

There is literally zero evidence of this come on man. :lol: 

Evidence, maybe not, but there have been indications. We narrowly avoided a points deduction but had to sell players that we didn’t really want to in order to avoid the deduction, and possibly unsettled one of our star players in the process. Then there is the manager indicating that he wasn’t totally on board with the new management structure. And finally we have pissed about with our recruitment all summer and are now seemingly sweating on getting anyone in at all.

17 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Been thinking that too. I'm really not sure things like the Japan trip stack up.

Clubs get big followings worldwide by being successful in the league and Europe, not by doing pre-season tours. If a pre-season tour to the other side of the world is counterproductive to our performance in real competition then I'm pretty sure it will lose us a lot more money in the long term than it gains us in the short term.

Edited by Jackie Broon

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Can't remember too much good fortune tonight mind. 

You missed the opposition literally throwing away a golden opportunity in the penalty shootout? Those two Forest misses were a gift from the footballing Gods.

Problem with our squad/manager is when our intensity isn't 100% we don't look dangerous as we don't have that quality to pick a team a part. Maybe we do with Barnes Gordon and Isak if all 3 start.

We lack that KDB, Bruno F, Odegaard, Palmer type player.

Olise would have been perfect

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Evidence, maybe not, but there have been indications. We narrowly avoided a points deduction but had to sell players that we didn’t really want to in order to avoid the deduction, and possibly unsettled one of our star players in the process. Then there is the manager indicating that he wasn’t totally on board with the new management structure. And finally we have pissed about with our recruitment all summer and are now seemingly sweating on getting anyone in at all.

The only part of that which has any basis in fact is that we had to sell Anderson to get around PSR. Everything else is absolute conjecture and not based in reality.

I think people quickly forget outside of the top two and probably Liverpool the chasing pack is really inconsistent. It's not just us. I've watched Man U scrape past Fulham and then lose to Brighton the week after. Watched Spurs concede to Leicester and shit themselves and end up being lucky not to lose the game. Having a few below par performances whilst picking up results really isn't anything to worry about.