Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Isak has been playing injured / out of sharpness most of the season. Can see he’s fed up with the club - see Bruno also. The fact Callum Wilson is our backup is on the manger and above. 

Isak and Gordon scored 37 goals between them (I think) last season. There’s too much responsibility on them stemming from the fact there’s absolutely nothing coming from the RW (failure to address) and we refuse to play with a midfielder capable of scoring them coming from deep. You cannot just absolve the manger - this is his team.

FWIW I think there are a few legit reasons you can give for why we're where we are, but framing Isak's last few performances as just him lacking sharpness, too much responsibility isn't really it either. Him and Gordon have missed clear cut chances, including a pen, that our style of play under Howe has created. If you can't absolve Howe, then I don't think you can absolve them for those those things, or anyone else responsible for the contributing factors, nor can you just cherry-pick either imo 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I think getting rid of Howe would be a disaster. 

Get behind him. Stay in the mix for a European push and back him in January with a couple of key signings.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I think getting rid of Howe would be a disaster. 

Get behind him. Stay in the mix for a European push and back him in January with a couple of key signings.

You think we are making Europe next season?

Just now, r0cafella said:

You think we are making Europe next season?

I think we could, yes.

Sacking Howe won't work, that I'm sure of. I've seen it all before. The key is to keep your good managers and sack the shit ones.

Howe has succumbed to the same old NUFC template that I've seen in most of my 30 odd years following this mental club

Weak at the back, usually beaten by the "big" sides, lacking shithousery, a squad that has too many players who simply aren't good enough to cut it at the top end of the top flight. It's the tried and tested NUFC way

Why this has happened with Howe is something that's a bit of a mystery to me given that he was outstanding in his first 1.5 seasons here and we got off to a flyer last season too

I love the bloke and alongside Keegan he's been the most impressive manager in my lifetime, but currently he looks like he's out of new ideas and the intensity has gone

Edited by bobbydazzla

Just now, STM said:

I think we could, yes.

Sacking Howe won't work, that I'm sure of. I've seen it all before. The key is to keep your good managers and sack the shit ones.

Fair enough. I think sometimes manager just reach a natural point where it's better to move on and we are heading in that direction. 

lets see how it plays out. 

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

Howe has succumbed to the same old NUFC template that I've seen in most of my 30 odd years following this mental club

Weak at the back, usually beaten by the "big" sides, lacking shithousery, a squad that has too many players who simply aren't good enough to cut it at the top end of the top flight. It's the tried and tested NUFC way

Why this has happened with Howe is something that is a bit of a mystery given that he was outstanding in his first 1.5 seasons here and we got off to a flyer last season too

I love the bloke and alongside Keegan he's been the most impressive manager in my lifetime, but currently he looks like he's out of new ideas and the intensity has gone

Spurs of the North ?

Just now, r0cafella said:

Fair enough. I think sometimes manager just reach a natural point where it's better to move on and we are heading in that direction. 

lets see how it plays out. 

Personally i think we are nowhere near that point. 

Let's say the season does turn to shit and we finish midtable, I still won't see that as justification for sacking Howe.

It's not because I lack ambition, it's because I think I see the bigger picture. Howe has shown what a superb manager he is (or can be) and also what a superb fit he is for our club.

Does it mean he should get 20 chances? Of course not but I'd happily give him another season, provided he's given a chance to freshen the squad again.

Part of me feels that a big sale of a player and reinvestment across the team would be a good thing. It's all gone a bit stale... but I don't doubt Howe for a second.

Also, just to make clear, me having such faith in Howe is in no way saying I think he's perfect. I've said previous that I think he needs to have a plan B and change the dynamic of our midfield.

I think the mistake some often make is assuming that the next manager doesn't come with a whole new set of flaws and even worse, what if they are a cunt who gets the fans backs up? It won't last.

Howe isn't a cat and shouldn't have 9 lives but he should be given at least a couple IMO.

8 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Why this has happened with Howe is something I don't know the answer to, given that we were outstanding in his first 1.5 seasons here and got off to a flyer last season too

I love the bloke and alongside Keegan he's been the most impressive manager in my lifetime, but currently he looks like he's out of ideas and the intensity has gone

Maybe the manager isn't the problem. :lol:

I'm sure me and you could have a long chat about the last 30 years and come to some pretty obvious conclusions about why we haven't had sustained success.

I love Eddie and want more than anything for him to succeed, but I do have these nagging doubts (which I don’t think are unfair), that include:

- One dimensional/rigid substitutions 

- Sticking with out of form players at times 

- Our considerable drop in intensity 

- Lack of a tactical plan B

- Absolutely woeful set pieces 

- The form of our purple players being sub-par this season (hopefully this is temporary)

- His lack of previous pedigree with managing a big club (yes, everyone has to start somewhere)

It’s probably unfair to just list the negatives as his positives far outweigh them, but I guess that fits with the negative vibe on here at the moment. 

The summer transfer failure(s) obviously cost the club a lot in terms of lost momentum, but hopefully we can catch up in January.

I think the injury crisis was a more than reasonable excuse for last seasons issues, now that this has cleared, my expectations are far higher (for the whole club, not just Eddie). 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Let's say the season does turn to shit and we finish midtable, I still won't see that as justification for sacking Howe.

It's not because I lack ambition, it's because I think I see the bigger picture. Howe has shown what a superb manager he is (or can be) and also what a superb fit he is for our club.

Does it mean he should get 20 chances? Of course not but I'd happily give him another season, provided he's given a chance to freshen the squad again.

Part of me feels that a big sale of a player and reinvestment across the team would be a good thing. It's all gone a bit stale... but I don't doubt Howe for a second.

Also, just to make clear, me having such faith in Howe is in no way saying I think he's perfect. I've said previous that I think he needs to have a plan B and change the dynamic of our midfield.

I think the mistake some often make is assuming that the next manager doesn't come with awhole new set of flaws and even worse, what if they are a cunt who gets the fans backs up? It won't last.

Howe isn't a cat and shouldn't have 9 lives but he should be given at least a couple IMO.

All fair points for my money, I'd need to see signs of things function prior to make any sort of commitment personally. The tactical approach yesterday was a mistake imo. 

We've been poor away from home for a long time now, if that continues hes in the bin for me, ultimately we have to progress and unfortunately his remit is to probably overachieve if he's unable to do that anymore we probably need to move on.  

Basic things like set pieces are Pardew area rancid and that isn't excusable. 

Howe should get the rest of the season unless we absolutely plummet down the league. His achievements here are outstanding, he’s had no help at all in two windows - I’m astounded people are seriously saying his time is up. Does anyone remember Robson to Souness?

7 minutes ago, STM said:

I think the mistake some often make is assuming that the next manager doesn't come with a whole new set of flaws and even worse, what if they are a cunt who gets the fans backs up? It won't last.

If he is to last beyond this season, he needs to start showing some flexibility. The away performances can’t continue.

1 minute ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

Howe should get the rest of the season unless we absolutely plummet down the league. His achievements here are outstanding, he’s had no help at all in two windows - I’m astounded people are seriously saying his time is up. Does anyone remember Robson to Souness?

What I will say, is that some of the talk is simply frustrated fans and not the reality.

I think and hope that most are just a bit frustrated, rather than wanting him gone.

2 minutes ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

I haven't seen anyone come out and say they want him gone, I see a lot of concern about the direction which is understandable or should be. 

And I dislike thes comparisons to the FS era whereby the decision makers had absolutely no clue about football. We aren't going to go and appointment a PFM if Eddie is sacked. 

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

“Let’s buy undervalued players from the continent” what a novel idea that no one’s ever thought of! What a pioneer that Mitchell is. It’s the same kind of model that clubs who don’t win things employ; and the same one that Ashley put in place a decade ago.

I honestly never thought fans would back Mitchell over Howe after that interview and failed window but here we are.

I agree with the thrust of your post, but Mitchell being bad or good doesn't directly indicate Eddie being the opposite, and vice versa. There's a prospective world here where has Eddie lost his grip and we need to make the change, and Mitchell is the wrong person to pull that trigger and remodel the club in the image of.

I think, given the shit storm with Staveley departing and Mitchell so far doing nothing, to get rid of Howe without another summer window would be unfair.

One more window of unity across the club then we can judge imo.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

It’s not just us, but I really don’t get the lack of innovation in set pieces.

They are the perfect opportunity to have direct control over a passage of play and we almost always just do a floated set penis which rarely causes any issues.

Maybe  it’s why I’m not a football coach, but I’d be trying to vary the runs and positions of the players much more to cause far more confusion and uncertainty to the opposition. 

Edited by mouldy_uk

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I think, given the shit storm with Staveley departing and Mitchell so far doing nothing, to get rid of Howe without another summer window would be unfair.

He would have to show signs of improvement for him to earn that mind.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

If he is to last beyond this season, he needs to start showing some flexibility. The away performances can’t continue.

Your talking in absolutes. What if we win all of our home games and pick up a few results on the road?

What if we are slightly better away from home?

We weren't shit yesterday for example. We weren't great either but we weren't shit.

And again. Your solution might be to sack him... but for who?

On the away form/performances in general, I personally think he fell into the trap of thinking everything would just revert back to normal once the injuries cleared up. Obviously that hasn’t happened and he looks a bit lost and out of ideas imo.

Just now, STM said:

Your talking in absolutes. What if we win all of our home games and pick up a few results on the road?

What if we are slightly better away from home?

We weren't shit yesterday for example. We weren't great either but we weren't shit.

And again. Your solution might be to sack him... but for who?

I’m not saying sack him right now, but we need to see signs of improvement. You already mentioned one (the midfield), but there are others that need to improve as well.