Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

13 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Just address it directly with the people you're referring to rather than tar everyone who dare to criticise Howe's start with the same brush.

That'll save everyone on the board looking over 80 pages of the Rafa thread to see who you're whinging about.

I'm not tarring everybody with the same brush. I made it clear to ManDoon that I wasn't tarring him. And once again, I have already called a few people out. But if you want two more, Dokko and xLiaaamx had some terrible takes. The rest know who they are. Substitute Joselu for Christ Wood and we're in a time machine.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

58 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Pilko has got a point that we were saying “Bruce is killing this squad/he’s terrible/anyone would do better” . We can’t even excuse Howe by saying “oh the squad is shit”.

I really want him to do well, but I was concerned (lol) when we hired him and I’m more concerned now 

If anyone's hoodwinking us, it's our players.

They've had 20 or so opportunities to win a football match this season and they've won 1. Think what you like about Bruce and Howe but their win %ages in this league are not 5%.

14 years of mis management 

give the fucker a chance 

the squad is poss poor - all down to ashley 

if you haven’t seen a marked improvement in the last 11 games - you have no clue about football 

I sat on my hands for 2 years under Bruce - never entertained 

at least we are giving it a go 

We have added two players and have Wilson out 

I have enjoyed lots of games under Howe 

Brentford home 

Man united  home

Today - we have it a go 

Norwich at home - we win if it wasn’t for Clarke 

Liverpool away - gave it a go

man city - home - gave it a go 

leicester - in it until pen 

3 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

I really hope the owners do the right thing for once and bin him for Rafa.

Wow - I loved Rafa 

but come on - let’s try to move forward 

Give the owners / Howe at least two seasons to turn this around 

we are playing with a championship squad 

Just now, JonBez comesock said:

Wow - I loved Rafa 

but come on - let’s try to move forward 

Give the owners / Howe at least two seasons to turn this around 

we are playing with a championship squad 

Wish I had your faith. Sadly I think he is the wrong guy and if he gets to control players coming in, we will be in the shit in championship.

8 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I'm not tarring everybody with the same brush. I made it clear to ManDoon that I wasn't tarring him. And once again, I have already called a few people out. But if you want two more, Dokko and xLiaaamx had some terrible takes. The rest know who they are. Substitute Joselu for Christ Wood and we're in a time machine.

On 30/12/2017 at 09:56, HTT said:

If you have pennies to spend, you get s***.

If you surrender possession, sit back, play with no urgency and make poor subs you don’t win games...

If you careen wildly from one extreme to the next, people are going to rightfully call you a knob.

I don’t care, I’ve proved myself more than enough on here over the years and yes I’ve been hyperbolic today especially but my points will stand up to any argument, that’s if you want to debate the points made or just well, be a knob.

I have debated the points, and multitasked a bit to call you out as acting like a total knob. You are reasonable enough to realize this at some point.

I don’t see you having debated any points, just you saying it’s because of the players etc. Fair enough if that’s what you believe. I don’t and I’m making that point along with some others.

I have talked about the context over and over. I have supported Dave and others, who have made Sounder points than I could have. I have pointed out that critique is one thing, but some of you have thrown reason and context out the window. So read what I have said again.

Interesting quote of mine from December 30, 2017.

1 minute ago, JonBez comesock said:

14 years of mis management 

give the fucker a chance 

the squad is poss poor - all down to ashley 

if you haven’t seen a marked improvement in the last 11 games - you have no clue about football 

I sat on my hands for 2 years under Bruce - never entertained 

at least we are giving it a go 

We have added two players and have Wilson out 

I have enjoyed lots of games under Howe 

Brentford home 

Man united  home

Today - we have it a go 

Norwich at home - we win if it wasn’t for Clarke 

Liverpool away - gave it a go

man city - home - gave it a go 

leicester - in it until pen 

His job is to win football games and he’s failing miserably. 

he lacks inspiration and is continuing the same level of performance when he took Bournemouth down. 

he would be best to keep his family in the south as he’s not going to last long up here churning out this.

Undoubtedly been given a shit hand with these players, some of whom should never darken our door again after this season.

I have to say though I think a top manager would have recognised deficiencies, and regardless of their ideology would have been more pragmatic. At times we’ve played with no protection in front of the back 4, with these defenders it’s arguable we shouldn’t even be playing with a back 4.

Still fully behind him as we have no other choice, but I have a nagging doubt he’s a good coach, without being that great manager and inspirational figure that we really needed in our position. 

Edited by Whitley mag

When Bruce left the club, we were winless with three points from a possible 24. The players were short if fitness, organisation and belief, it was a total dereliction of duty on his part.

Coming in Howe has had to address all of those things, plus he's tried to put his own stamp on the team, but it just doesn't seem to be cutting through.

So many players have gone backward, even from their performances last year. Dubs, Schar, Lascalles, Hayden and I dare say even ASM look as though they're devoid of any kind of coaching. It seems they've got away with far too much for too long and haven't responded to being asked to up their game.

Further, you can tell a lot from the players body language, not only do they look short of confidence, some look like they've totally given up. It shows in our inability to hold onto a single goal lead. I think with backing, he needs to be ruthless in removing these players from the side (Lescalles immediately springs to mind).

Its also worth remembering this side has played low block, counter attacking football for over five years. Howe is trying to coach them into a pressing, high tempo unit who takes the game to the opposition. Perhaps he needs to be more pragmatic in his approach, as it looks like he's flogging a dead horse.

Based on the above I think its way too early to judge Howe. He's taken a team who's been in reverse for over two years, bereft of confidence and used to playing a certain way. I don't agree with everything he's done to date, but he has shown he learns from his mistakes and he has a clear philosophy that he wants to instil in the side. We have shown signs of improvement, but clearly the rot that's set in is going to take some time to reverse. I'm all for giving him time and patience to do that.

He definately still has my vote, for now. BUT, 1-0 at home to a shocking team and we must kill that game, at all cost or shut up shop.

The fact we have not had a new manager bounce, defence has got worse (at best on par) and we are not scoring anymore (despite his approach) is pretty worrying. 

The squad is turbo shit, and half, if not 3/4 need to go, that's not his fault. We are either more ruthless or we shut up shop and counter, at the moment we dont do either remotely well.

I'm an opptimistic person, however, the drop seems very likely now as nothing has really materially improved, albeit there are some areas that look marginally better. 

We need results.

The killer is how fucking soft we are. We’ve been in positions to win games so it’s not like we can’t compete. Yes the squad is poor, but we’ve thrown away so many points and that is criminal. Everyone knows that in order to avoid relegation, you need to be drilled, keep your shape, defend for your lives when you need to. It's the unfashionable side of the game which hasn’t improved one tiny bit. We may be creating more opportunities, but we’re also not closing games out when we go ahead. 

This is how bleak it is - Eddie Howe has achieved 1 win since he arrived.

Dean Smith who went to Norwich.....fucking Norwich, has achieved 3 wins since going there!

I said after the Cambridge game that they have burnt the loyalty of the fans.  We need to clean sweep the lot.    Howe has been dealt a shit hand but I have to say, he gets a 1 out of 10 at the moment.  Only game where I thought he was starting to get his ideas across was Brentford.    Man U was maybe, other than that, I have to say his fabled style of football just hasnt appeared!

Edited by Awaymag

3 minutes ago, Collage said:

Good man management is another thing. Wouldn’t describe Pep, Ancelotti, Pochettino as charismatic

You wouldn't say Pep, of all people, doesn't meet all of this criteria?  Going back to Howe, one of the most important things you need to do be able to do in a relegation fight is to inspire players to believe they are better than they are/play without fear and he just hasn't done it.

We have all mocked Bruce but I can see how he initially lifts the morale of a team when he first joins a club and I just don't get that with Howe. 

Think some are being harsh on Howe like.

Hes working with a sub standard squad in sub standard facilities. We have injury prone  players in key positions, we have an entire squad that appears to lack mental strength and/or confidence - maybe the saudi trip will help with this?

While it might be argued that none of the players, except Joelinton has improved - have any of them got worse? I dont think so.

What no ones mentioned yet, and for which Howe gets no credit, is that hes got the players fit. Maybe he doesnt deserve any credit for this as its such a basic part of his job. But also, while hes had 10 games, how many of those games have the players been fit enough to canny out his game plan for the full 90 mins? Maybe 6?

My worry at the moment is that its taking, on average, 1 week to bring a new player in. This means we bring in 2 more, hopefully a DM and a CD. Id really like to see another CD or LB, both preferably.

Sacking Howe would lead to more uncertainty in the club and in the players,  then another bedding in phase with a new manager. Not to mention even more criticism from fans and press that we could do without.

We always knew the key to staying up would be the transfer window - we are only half way through it.

3 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Dean Smith who went to Norwich.....fucking Norwich, has achieved 3 wins since going there!

I said after the Cambridge game that they haven't burnt their loyalty of the fans.  We need to clean sweep the lot.    Howe has been dealt a shit hand but I have to say, he gets a 1 out of 10 at the moment.  Only game where I thought he was starting to get his ideas across was Brentford.    Man U was maybe, other than that, I have to say his fabled style of football just hasnt appeared!

Even more depressing when you consider that he only won 2 of his last 13 Premier League matches at Bournemouth. Worth noting that both Bournemouth then and Newcastle now are not newly promoted teams that you might expect to go on these type of winless runs.

I'd love to what his relegation with Bournemouth taught him?

4 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

I said after the Cambridge game that they haven't burnt their loyalty of the fans.  We need to clean sweep the lot.    Howe has been dealt a shit hand but I have to say, he gets a 1 out of 10 at the moment.  Only game where I thought he was starting to get his ideas across was Brentford.    Man U was maybe, other than that, I have to say his fabled style of football just hasnt appeared!

It’s almost as if it was naive to think this current squad could play their way out of this. This is not a group of players that can play attacking, possession based football.

2 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Think some are being harsh on Howe like.

Hes working with a sub standard squad in sub standard facilities. We have injury prone  players in key positions, we have an entire squad that appears to lack mental strength and/or confidence - maybe the saudi trip will help with this?

While it might be argued that none of the players, except Joelinton has improved - have any of them got worse? I dont think so.

What no ones mentioned yet, and for which Howe gets no credit, is that hes got the players fit. Maybe he doesnt deserve any credit for this as its such a basic part of his job. But also, while hes had 10 games, how many of those games have the players been fit enough to canny out his game plan for the full 90 mins? Maybe 6?

My worry at the moment is that its taking, on average, 1 week to bring a new player in. This means we bring in 2 more, hopefully a DM and a CD. Id really like to see another CD or LB, both preferably.

Sacking Howe would lead to more uncertainty in the club and in the players,  then another bedding in phase with a new manager. Not to mention even more criticism from fans and press that we could do without.

We always knew the key to staying up would be the transfer window - we are only half way through it.

It’s a harsh world where losers die and winners thrive.

1 minute ago, alijmitchell said:

It’s almost as if it was naive to think this current squad could play their way out of this. This is not a group of players that can play attacking, possession based football.

Being naive is a habit of people who don’t have a clue at what they are doing 

1 minute ago, macphisto said:

Even more depressing when you consider that he only won 2 of his last 13 Premier League matches at Bournemouth. Worth noting that both Bournemouth then and Newcastle now are not newly promoted teams that you might expect to go on these type of winless runs.

I'd love to what his relegation with Bournemouth taught him?

We've been on long winless runs every year since we came back up, like.

3 minutes ago, macphisto said:

You wouldn't say Pep, of all people, doesn't meet all of this criteria?  Going back to Howe, one of the most important things you need to do be able to do in a relegation fight is to inspire players to believe they are better than they are/play without fear and he just hasn't done it.

We have all mocked Bruce but I can see how he initially lifts the morale of a team when he first joins a club and I just don't get that with Howe. 

Yeah, it’s a shame KK wasn’t a few years younger he would have inspired the cunts. I think Howe’s clearly a student of the game, but I totally get where your coming from that’s how I feel about him tonight.

As it happens I don’t think Emery would have been any better, as I can’t see these players responding to a technical European coach either.

Maybe Gerrard was that type of figure who would have inspired but also rattled a few of their fucking cages.

7 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I’m saying charisma and good management are different things. We see managers doing interviews and think they’re more or less charismatic, that says fuck all about their man management.