Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

13 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Just out of interest do people think Emery would have done a better job (theoretically). 

IMO absolutely - he a winner for a start.  So straight away you are bring in a winning mentality to the dressing room.  I also think from a recruitment point of view we would be a more attractive proposition to players.

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

If we hired Gerrard would we have had Coutinho and Digne?

Coutinho for sure - in our current position having someone like Emery could have made all the difference. 

Edited by duo

To be honest, we can attract these players it is easy. But to be clear, if we want them we have to pay them daft wages to bribe them in to coming. 

Remember, Coutinho stock is basically zero and Barca can’t wait to get shot. 

We would be in a much better position had we had Gerrard here for sure. He's a far bigger name in world football than Eddie Howe is for sure. Digne & Coutinho would've been 2 cracking additions to this squad and I'd wager Gerrard would have a few more wins under his belt too.

Idk man, I’m sat here at home watching the NFL playoffs and I’m sick to bits thinking that I actually think we need to sack Howe before he takes us down. I don’t think he’s going to do it. Maybe I’ll change my mind tomorrow or end of window when we sign new center backs and midfielders. 

And for the record I absolutely love the man, think he’s class and his underdog story and his mentality and human level is just first class. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, Kanji said:

Idk man, I’m sat here at home watching the NFL playoffs and I’m sick to bits thinking that I actually think we need to sack Howe before he takes us down. I don’t think he’s going to do it. Maybe I’ll change my mind tomorrow or end of window when we sign new center backs and midfielders. 

We need to wait and get a DOF In before doing it. 

1 hour ago, Dandy Don said:

He hardly played last season due to Parker.

If he had they would most probably have stayed up.

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember he started every game for roughly the first half of the season, after he'd been scoring for a few months, and he carried on playing for a bit after his form dipped and he stopped scoring. Then he was dropped. And Fulham started playing better by the end of the year.

I dont have anything against Mitrovic, I just think its strange to suggest a failed striker here would have been a better option than Wood, after one game, because he's scoring in the Championship. And the 25m would have been better spent on Mitrovic. Adam Armstrong scored a lot in the Championship, cost Southampton 15m, and currently starts on the bench behind a Chelsea loanee.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I did say this at the time but Gerrard would definitely have been a bigger figurehead for the club like, plus he’s quite clearly a decent manager. Hilarious how many people were adamant we were too good for him back in November.

**hand up** - I sniffed at Gerrard when he was first mentioned as I saw it as a gamble.  But I would have took him over Howe any day of the week. 

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember he started every game for roughly the first half of the season, after he'd been scoring for a few months, and he carried on playing for a bit after his form dipped and he stopped scoring. Then he was dropped. And Fulham started playing better by the end of the year.

I dont have anything against Mitrovic, I just think its strange to suggest a failed striker here would have been a better option than Wood, after one game, because he's scoring in the Championship. And the 25m would have been better spent on Mitrovic. Adam Armstrong scored a lot in the Championship, cost Southampton 15m, and currently starts on the bench behind a Chelsea loanee.

Don’t worry, this place just likes him because he’s mental. 

43 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Just out of interest do people think Emery would have done a better job (theoretically). 

Emery was my number 1 choice and I think he'd have maaaaybe have irked out a few more points maybe today or vs Norwich, but with much more negative, defensive football in the Rafa mould. What I cannot emphasise enough though is that he'd be getting exactly the same criticism Howe's getting even with those few extra hypothetical points. 

For all the lack of points, lack of quality, dropped points, and stupid errors from the usual suspects, I actually enjoy watching Newcastle now and can see where Howe's going with how he wants us to play. My main criticism that's solely aimed at him is that I thought the best system to cover our weaknesses and the best style of football we've had was against Brentford. I'm not sure why he hasn't tried that again.

Edited by Kid Icarus

14 minutes ago, hakka said:

I did wonder this. How much is Gerrard as a name on top of Villa sitting higher up the league a factor.

Not that much I think. He's been smart enough to hire great coaches, and he's openly said he wasn't happy with his players first half today and read them the riot act. It's got nothing to do with his name, he's implementing high standards. I'm starting to wonder if Howe is too used to playing in lower leagues and he doesn't understand what top level football is about. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Emery was my number 1 choice and I think he'd have maaaaybe have irked out a few more points maybe today or vs Norwich, but with much more negative, defensive football in the Rafa mould. What I cannot emphasise enough though is that he'd be getting exactly the same criticism Howe's getting even with those few extra hypothetical points. 

For all the lack of points, lack of quality, dropped points, and stupid errors from the usual suspects, I actually enjoy watching Newcastle now and can see where Howe's going with how he wants us to play. My main criticism that's solely aimed at him is that I thought the best system to cover our weaknesses and the best style of football we've had was against Brentford. I'm not sure why he hasn't tried that again.

:lol: Rights

20 minutes ago, duo said:

Just look at Villa to see the difference a manager makes in attracting players.

I think league position is the bigger draw

Now would Gerrard have had us in a better position? That's a different question but ultimately not worth dwelling on too much

I am surprised at how quickly people have turned on Howe, I understand the frustrations and there have been things which aren't good enough but I do believe he will come good. It might not be this season, the rot in the club was perhaps too much to fix but I think eventually once he has a bulk of his own players we'll see better. And if we don't, then fair enough, serious questions can be asked

Just now, r0cafella said:

Gerrard would also have been a massive gamble for us. 

The comparisons to Villa are a bit off, they’ve actually been investing for a few years where as we were being hollowed out. 

This is true, even before the Grealish money

Emery wouldn't have thought Chris Wood was the answer to our needs for one thing. I doubt Gerrard would either.

They both also would be able to attract a better quality of player than Howe. 

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think league position is the bigger draw

Now would Gerrard have had us in a better position? That's a different question but ultimately not worth dwelling on too much

I am surprised at how quickly people have turned on Howe, I understand the frustrations and there have been things which aren't good enough but I do believe he will come good. It might not be this season, the rot in the club was perhaps too much to fix but I think eventually once he has a bulk of his own players we'll see better. And if we don't, then fair enough, serious questions can be asked

Why are some convinced he will come good?  At Bournemouth he did 'ok' in the PL before he ultimately got them relegated and he actually had decent money to spend. But I saw nothing to say he's the man to take us forward.

7 minutes ago, duo said:

**hand up** - I sniffed at Gerrard when he was first mentioned as I saw it as a gamble.  But I would have took him over Howe any day of the week. 

I'd rather Howe than Gerrard. At least he's proven himself, Gerrard's just another one of those names who'll have people playing for him for a bit then run out of steam.