Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

36 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Isak just needs to be on the pitch, with or without Wilson. He's looked a far better all round footballer than Wilson when he has been on the pitch, has linked up well with others and regardless we have spent £63m on him to help us score goals. We're struggling to score goals and have been so far this calendar year yet he's only started 2 league games since his return from injury on the 2nd January. It's not making much sense now.

I want him starting too but he is a different type of threat to Wilson. He's done some great individual work in his cameos but I don't think we've really looked like scoring more with him instead of Wilson. 

If he's pulling defenders out wide or drifting into channels you need one of the midfield three bursting into the box and the wide players making much better runs. 

It's not really a criticism of Isak just more that we'll have to adapt to him and work on things on the training ground to get the best out of him and the team with him in it. I'm sure  we will going forward and I think the cup was a distraction in that sense. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start changing things up now. 

The context of the run of games we’ve just had is missing from a lot of posts, Liverpool/Man United Cup Final/Man City away?

The next 3/4 games are the key to seeing how things will pan out this season.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

The context of the run of games we’ve just had is missing from a lot of posts, Liverpool/Man United Cup Final/Man City away?

The 1 win in 8 also consists of Leeds, Palace, West Ham and Bournemouth.

Edited by SUPERTOON

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Again, 2 months of bad form for Wilson.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

The 1 win in 8 also consists of Leeds, Palace and Bournemouth 

Yes it does, I’m not saying the reason our form has dipped post WC is the opposition alone. I’m saying the recency bias swings to a negative reaction because we’ve just lost 3 very tough games in a row.. before those 3 games it was just a ‘blip’ and now to some it’s become a Howe issue because he’s choosing the wrong team. 

The system is fine. The problem is that our confidence in front of goal is absolutely shot. Almiron has reverted to type and Wilson has become a blunt instrument.

I'd be intrigued to learn why he opted for Wilson over Isak today, on the face of it it seems odd.

5 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Again, 2 months of bad form for Wilson.

Read between the lines of Howes recent quote about Isak and you can see that he feels he’s not quite there in terms of starting. We can’t watch training so we arnt aware of what the issues are, and team selection is not always made on who is ‘better’ in each position anyway.

Its fine to criticise the manager, ignore people who cry and get all emotional because you dare to question the man. But if you take a second to look at the situation it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t fancy Isak over Wilson for a reason atm, and you don’t think he sees Wilson isn’t right? 

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The system is fine. The problem is that our confidence in front of goal is absolutely shot. Almiron has reverted to type and Wilson has become a blunt instrument.

I'd be intrigued to learn why he opted for Wilson over Isak today, on the face of it it seems odd.

Agree entirely, other than a few looking a bit burnt out there’s no issue with the system (we knew that was coming anyway with our lack of depth) and our schedule really slows down now until post international break which should alleviate the fitness issues a bit. 

Look at Howes quote from the other day about Isak not quite being there in training, whatever that means is why Wilson is being started. Seems odd to us but the reason must be justifiable as Howe more than us will see what’s going on with Wilson. Beyond that maybe he has faith in Wilson finding the net soon? The player must be low on confidence and perhaps Howe feels that dropping him now just isn’t the answer.

Edited by Nine

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

Read between the lines of Howes recent quote about Isak and you can see that he feels he’s not quite there in terms of starting. We can’t watch training so we arnt aware of what the issues are, and team selection is not always made on who is ‘better’ in each position anyway.

Its fine to criticise the manager, ignore people who cry and get all emotional because you dare to question the man. But if you take a second to look at the situation it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t fancy Isak over Wilson for a reason atm, and you don’t think he sees Wilson isn’t right? 

It’s a fair point. Does he think Wilson’s ‘there’ in terms of starting? He’s not, and hasn’t been for ages.

Isak's played most of his career as a striker and he scored lots of goals at Sociedad in the 6-yard box from crosses and skirmishes. Yes, he's not an entire replica of Wilson, but he doesn't need to be either. 

Bottom line is we've not given him a fair run while we're desperate for goals. 

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

I want him starting too but he is a different type of threat to Wilson. He's done some great individual work in his cameos but I don't think we've really looked like scoring more with him instead of Wilson. 

If he's pulling defenders out wide or drifting into channels you need one of the midfield three bursting into the box and the wide players making much better runs. 

It's not really a criticism of Isak just more that we'll have to adapt to him and work on things on the training ground to get the best out of him and the team with him in it. I'm sure  we will going forward and I think the cup was a distraction in that sense. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start changing things up now. 

If he has any threat in him then he’sa different type of threat because Wilson has none anymore - I always thought Wilson started because of the cup but him starting today was always the wrong decision for me. Give them a couple of games together perhaps and change things up a little. Also for me lascelles did well and is our only player who can head the ball so perhaps keep him in for a game or two and Targett has to be starting now.

Isak isn’t going to get match fit without playing full matches. Unless they have a genuine concern that he’s going to get injured again.

Think this spell is going to be tougher for Howe to get out of than escaping relegation to be honest. He’s made a few bad calls in recent weeks and I hate thinking that way because he’s been superb since arriving.

Since January we’ve been on a decline. Now either we were much better before that point or probably more likely the other teams around us were worse and have improved significantly.

So essentially there’s two paths of thinking, he’s either been doing the great job everyone has been saying but then recently has lost the edge a bit OR, his praise has been something of a false economy and essentially our dip/slide down the table is where we should be.

It’s hard to accept that we could finish 7th or 8th after the season we’ve been having so I think Howe has to accept his part in that. Nobody has been forcing him to play out of form players.

1 hour ago, Nine said:

Then he shouldn’t have spent £63m on him and put it towards a CF he would play.

1 hour ago, Away Toon said:

Isak is obviously a worse CF than Wilson for the simple reason he's not and has never been a CF. If he's going to replace Wilson we will have to play a different way and apparently Howe doesn't want to.

I can't believe Howie would spend £60Mil on a player he didn't have plans for

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Isak isn’t going to get match fit without playing full matches. Unless they have a genuine concern that he’s going to get injured again.

Think this spell is going to be tougher for Howe to get out of than escaping relegation to be honest. He’s made a few bad calls in recent weeks and I hate thinking that way because he’s been superb since arriving.

Since January we’ve been on a decline. Now either we were much better before that point or probably more likely the other teams around us were worse and have improved significantly.

So essentially there’s two paths of thinking, he’s either been doing the great job everyone has been saying but then recently has lost the edge a bit OR, his praise has been something of a false economy and essentially our dip/slide down the table is where we should be.

It’s hard to accept that we could finish 7th or 8th after the season we’ve been having so I think Howe has to accept his part in that. Nobody has been forcing him to play out of form players.

Well put and I also think this is a huge challenge for him - We’re still creating changes but I always feel top four or even top five was inflated personally but I never expected us to only put away 3 from 97 shots (read that in another thread) - you see those statistics and don’t change it then the old quote about doing the same thing over and over springs to mind.