Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Learning a lot about Eddie. He’s not the most tactically flexible is he?

Some of that is the lack of quality in depth to change things.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Besides the fact that his changes and tweaking of the formation away at Brentford won us the game. Aye, not flexible imo.

That’s his plan B. And it’s firmly plan B. 

What I mean is ‘the opposition will setup like this… so I will set us up a little different to counter it’. Like Pep will alter his time a little when facing a back 3.  He’s not so much a horses for courses manager. 

We have the finances to make plan A and B brilliant though. I think Klopp is the same.  They are doing what they are doing, it either works or it doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

We looked more threatening with Wilson and Isak but then the 2nd goal killed that momentum

As bad as we were individually - Villa totally out played us tactically.  It happens.  We move on.

Got completely done today in all departments today. Line up and in game.

Be interesting to see if anyone else looks to mirror Villa/Brighton’s tactics against us as we don’t seem to be able to cope with teams packing the middle of the park playing narrowish and then using players in the half spaces making moves from out to in, dragging the FBs narrow to free up spaces for the full backs to exploit which Moreno did superbly today.

Probably for the best it’s a rest and then a big game against a fairly rigid opponent next.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He just turned it over at Brentford during half time ffs.

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Literally no one has suggested this once 

Never said anyone did. I merely encapsulating the cry arsing.

Everything goes from 100 to 0 in a flash.

Villa we're just better than us on the day. It doesn't have to be a "fault" of anyone.

They would have beaten every team bar Arsenal and Man City today.

We move on... we'll most of us do. Some of us want to take a deep dive, for no obvious purpose but to find scapegoats in a stellar season.

Guest reefatoon

Must have been killing college dropout to have to wait until April to have a dig at Howe. Fancy the spiteful bastard having us playing so well and sitting third. Left us no time to have a go at him and his tactics.

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I mean more from start of games, our typical style was always going to play into villa hands today. Would have liked a different approach and then adjust as the game progresses.

This is what I mean. 

Villa’s default style is LB pushing high up. Both ‘wingers’ are more central players anyway and will come inside into the half spaces and will try and link up with Watkins and get him into balls between the CBs. Then 3 midfielders and 3 defenders deeper. One of the midfielders can push on to support.   

And we looked totally unprepared for it when it worked well from the off.

Bruno got nowhere near Buendia or Ramsay and needed more support and positional sense in there. The LB was in tons of space time and time again. we either needed a back 3 or to be stiffer in midfield. 

I saw a tifo video on Villa yesterday. They attacked exactly as the video said. We looked totally unprepared for it and didn’t cope with it at all for a full 90 minutes. 

8 minutes ago, Disco said:

Got completely done today in all departments today. Line up and in game.

Be interesting to see if anyone else looks to mirror Villa/Brighton’s tactics against us as we don’t seem to be able to cope with teams packing the middle of the park playing narrowish and then using players in the half spaces making moves from out to in, dragging the FBs narrow to free up spaces for the full backs to exploit which Moreno did superbly today.

Probably for the best it’s a rest and then a big game against a fairly rigid opponent next.

Exactly this. 

Spurs won’t do it though. But the others might.  

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s his plan B. And it’s firmly plan B. 

What I mean is ‘the opposition will setup like this… so I will set us up a little different to counter it’. Like Pep will alter his time a little when facing a back 3.  He’s not so much a horses for courses manager. 

We have the finances to make plan A and B brilliant though. I think Klopp is the same.  They are doing what they are doing, it either works or it doesn’t. 

He hasn’t had the squad options that Guardiola has had since day one of his managerial career. 

The fact that today is the first truly bad day we have had since the 2-1 loss to Wolves on 2nd October 2021 speaks volumes on how well Eddie has done in his time here. To go 18 months without a single truly poor performance and result is quite remarkable, especially considering our position when he took over. 

Not gonna lie though, it’s still gutting that he has finally been schooled in a game, and by Emery of all people. I bet he is fuming about it too.

I was hoping we’d get a statement result against this lot as I can’t abide them, but the exact opposite happened. Admittedly, looking at the big picture it’s great for the league to see another big club emerge from the wilderness to challenge the establishment…. I just hope this isn’t the start of Villa becoming a bogey team for us while their current manager is there.

Howe is definitely the sort of manager who likes to do all his work on the training pitch, so it makes sense that he doesn't like to tinker between them two or three tactics, he's the type that unless he has full faith in a setup, he not going to risk changing it on the fly, as in his eyes its not engrained in the players, so has less of a chance of working. 

Its not really a criticism of him, as different managers have different styles, and that style has worked to date, and with better and better players, its going to work more and more.

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Must have been killing college dropout to have to wait until April to have a dig at Howe. Fancy the spiteful bastard having us playing so well and sitting third. Left us no time to have a go at him and his tactics.

Stop being so sensitive. 

Howe has done miracles. He’s been great. We know this. 

But we came to play the exact same game we always try to play. When it didn’t work, we had no idea how to stop the opposition. The 10s kept getting the ball in the half spaces and doing whatever they wanted. The left back kept exploiting space out wide. Bruno was piss poor but he was often running between two 10s. We kept being vulnerable to Watkins runs between central defenders. Botman was playing like he didn’t realise Watkins was right footed.  These are things we can mitigate and prepare for. 

I don't see the point in changing your tactics after winning five in a row. That's a Pardew thing to do, focusing on your opponent and not your own team. Shite games happen and sometimes everything goes against you. We had our best spell of the game right before their second and if we could have scored there maybe we could have nicked an undeserved point. Literally every player had one of their worst games of the season, it's impossible to win away against a decent side when that happens.

I have no doubt that Howe will analyse this and learn from it and we'll be a lot better next week.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Bro chill man :lol:

He hasn't really needed to be to be so far this season to be fair as we've been rolling.

He played different systems at Bournemouth. He can definitely switch things up. As a matter of fact his whole pivot to a 4-3-3 under us was a great adjustment after he came in originally with a 4-2-3-1.

He's legit man.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Howe is definitely the sort of manager who likes to do all his work on the training pitch, so it makes sense that he doesn't like to tinker between them two or three tactics, he's the type that unless he has full faith in a setup, he not going to risk changing it on the fly, as in his eyes its not engrained in the players, so has less of a chance of working. 

Its not really a criticism of him, as different managers have different styles, and that style has worked to date, and with better and better players, its going to work more and more.

I agree with this. 

I’ve struggled to accept that Dan Burn is the horse for every course but that’s how Howe sees things. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Stop being so sensitive. 

Howe has done miracles. He’s been great. We know this. 

But we came to play the exact same game we always try to play. When it didn’t work, we had no idea how to stop the opposition. The 10s kept getting the ball in the half spaces and doing whatever they wanted. The left back kept exploiting space out wide. Bruno was piss poor but he was often running between two 10s. We kept being vulnerable to Watkins runs between central defenders. Botman was playing like he didn’t realise Watkins was right footed.  These are things we can mitigate and prepare for. 

Fair points, but perhaps he thought our midfield would still disrupt them, but it didn't turn out that way.

I would have liked to see us drop into a mid/low block to close up those middle spaces, as I don't think they would have any answers, but maybe he decided against it to stay aggressive as we were already a goal down.

I doubt we will look so off it again going against them.

People are so sensitive. Even Pep has weaknesses.  He can overthink and change his system too much based on opposition.  And he’s the greatest manager of all time. Fergie was often schooled tactically in Europe etc. I can say Howe is a little inflexible in setting up his team va the opps strengths 

Would it be fair to say that the analysis of Schär and Botman doesn't need to go any further than 'do your job'?

Their handling of Watkins was unbelievably bad. Literally any ball over the top and it was his. That's unacceptable 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Would it be fair to say that the analysis of Schär and Botman doesn't need to go any further than 'do your job'?

Their handling of Watkins was unbelievably bad. Literally any ball over the top and it was his. That's unacceptable 

There was a lot of space in behind man, and the people playing those passes weren't consistently being closed down quickly enough.

Very very difficult to deal with from a centre-back's point of view, especially as the two men upfront were running the channels so well, and dragging them wide, with their two 10s then making secondary forward runs off them.

Felt bad for Schar and Botman today.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They were horrendous. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Didn’t seem ready for the ball in behind them all game and it’s been the most obvious feature of Villa’s attacking play.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

No.  

Neither of them have any real pace.  Watkins has scored his goals running between CBs.  We were always going to be vulnerable to that and it needed active mitigation.  Maybe a deeper line, a defensive 3, stopping the supply lines etc.  I don’t know but we clearly didn’t have much of a plan for Villa’s strengths. 

Anyway. These things happen. As someone pointed out, nobody turned up.  We go again.