Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Guest Howaythetoon

Welbeck would be quality, exactly the type of centre forward made for Rafa's system.

Yep, and as we are seeing, although a goalscorer would be ideal, in Rafa’s system, it’s more about what they bring to the team in other areas. That’s why I couldn’t get someone in the Kennedy thread saying his stats aren’t all that impressive. Just look at how we have played since he arrived, having him and what he can do down there has enabled us to be more expansive, has freed up Ritchie almost who since started contributing much more and gave Dummett lots of protection. Wellbeck would be a very good fit in our side and I imagine Perez would love playing with him. Wellbeck for all his faults is dry hard to knock off the bald and he can play with his back to it as wel. Gayle simply can’t. Plus Wellbeck can operate down the channels to good effect. My brother in law is actually frustrated with Wellbeck because he reckons if fit, he adds something to their forward line the rest dont.

Yeah, the only hesitation with Welbeck for me is the injuries.

Other than that I agree with those who say he is an ideal fit for what rafa wants from his striker.

If he could stay healthy and knew he was a first teamer every week, he would definitely flourish. He snatches at so many things when playing for Arsenal as he seems too eager to make an impact at times, due to the uncertainty of remaining in the team.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’d love an out and out goalscorer who bangs them in, but in Rafa’s system or the way he wants his team to play, we would need more than just a goalscorer and those all-rounders cost mega money. We had a goalscorer in Cisse and Rafa shipped him out because he couldn’t do what Rafa wants from his forwards outside of scoring. Mitrovic hasn’t had a look in because he can’t do what Rafa wants either, same with Mbemba at the back.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve been watching a bit of Abraham when he’s played for Swansea lately as we were heavily linked in the summer of last year and maybe interested again and I like a lot of his attributes. Against outhampton, even though he’s only on loan there, he was constantly trying to force something. He’s similar to Wellbeck in ways and someone I doubt would ever get 20 goals, but he runs, he works those channels, he can play with his back to goal and he fits Rafa’s criteria of being young and someone who he can develop. I wouldn’t mind us offering Chelsea 40m for him and Kennedy, I think they would work out as good value for money in time under Rafa’s tutelage and at that combined price maybe it’s something that would tempt Chelsea who look like they will be or have to spend some serious money in the summer to get back into the mix if you like.

Welbeck is a hardworking wide player for me. The lad is never prolific enough as a main striker.

:thup: One of the only things I enjoyed about Hodgson's tenure as England boss.

Good keeper. I think we should just sign Dubravka, promote Woodman to number two and keep Elliot around as third choice.

That would kill Woodman (and potentially us if Dubravka got injured). He needs a full (probably two) seasons out on loan playing week in week out before he'll be anywhere near PL level.

He's made 35 senior starts and he's just turned 21. I don't see much problem with him having half a season at the club and half a season out on loan for instance for a couple of more years.

Pickford had made 130 by the same age.

We're wasting the lads' key development years with shoddy loans. He's not PL standard yet. Miles off physically and technically, and he's not gonna improve unless he starts playing regularly.

Another year like the one he's just had needs to be avoided at all costs.

His Wiki says it was 93, 29 of those in non-league. Even so, I doubt he was in the first-team squad during a lot of that time either. Woodman would likely be training with the first-team everyday, learning from Rafa, Dubravka, the staff, in a Premier League environment. There's also no reason why he couldn't push Dubravka within a year or two. Dubravka's good but he's not exactly elite.

At the same stage, Shay Given had played 24 times by the way. His next season was as first choice Newcastle keeper.

I’ve been watching a bit of Abraham when he’s played for Swansea lately as we were heavily linked in the summer of last year and maybe interested again and I like a lot of his attributes. Against outhampton, even though he’s only on loan there, he was constantly trying to force something. He’s similar to Wellbeck in ways and someone I doubt would ever get 20 goals, but he runs, he works those channels, he can play with his back to goal and he fits Rafa’s criteria of being young and someone who he can develop. I wouldn’t mind us offering Chelsea 40m for him and Kennedy, I think they would work out as good value for money in time under Rafa’s tutelage and at that combined price maybe it’s something that would tempt Chelsea who look like they will be or have to spend some serious money in the summer to get back into the mix if you like.

:thup:

Really hope the interest in him is renewed. He's such a big talent. Just made a bone head decision in opting for Swansea ahead of us. But it could really work to our advantage this summer. Hopefully there will be less premier league interest in him, and maybe he will be available for a permanent move at a fee that isn't crazy.

Guest Howaythetoon

Really hope the interest in him is renewed. He's such a big talent. Just made a bone head decision in opting for Swansea ahead of us. But it could really work to our advantage this summer. Hopefully there will be less premier league interest in him, and maybe he will be available for a permanent move at a fee that isn't crazy.

His relatively average and even poor season at Swansea could play into our hands. He actually started the season so well. He’s a talent though and has the attributes for our team and how Rafa wants us to play. I like him and he is the type of player we have to look at, someone we can develop and turn into a good player which Rafa has shown he’s very good at doing.

His relatively average and even poor season at Swansea could play into our hands. He actually started the season so well. He’s a talent though and has the attributes for our team and how Rafa wants us to play. I like him and he is the type of player we have to look at, someone we can develop and turn into a good player which Rafa has shown he’s very good at doing.

Would be amazing if Abraham was to Rafa, what Bellamy was to Robson. Miss out first time, but get show faith after a promising but very raw first full season in the Premier League resulting in relegation.

Good keeper. I think we should just sign Dubravka, promote Woodman to number two and keep Elliot around as third choice.

That would kill Woodman (and potentially us if Dubravka got injured). He needs a full (probably two) seasons out on loan playing week in week out before he'll be anywhere near PL level.

He's made 35 senior starts and he's just turned 21. I don't see much problem with him having half a season at the club and half a season out on loan for instance for a couple of more years.

Pickford had made 130 by the same age.

We're wasting the lads' key development years with shoddy loans. He's not PL standard yet. Miles off physically and technically, and he's not gonna improve unless he starts playing regularly.

Another year like the one he's just had needs to be avoided at all costs.

His Wiki says it was 93, 29 of those in non-league. Even so, I doubt he was in the first-team squad during a lot of that time either. Woodman would likely be training with the first-team everyday, learning from Rafa, Dubravka, the staff, in a Premier League environment. There's also no reason why he couldn't push Dubravka within a year or two. Dubravka's good but he's not exactly elite.

At the same stage, Shay Given had played 24 times by the way. His next season was as first choice Newcastle keeper.

Pickford had played 120ish by age 22 then, so the point is still the same. If Woodman doesn't go out next season that's him at 22 with no proper run of games at pro level.

Goalkeepers aren't like other positions where they'll pick up what they need from training around other players, or can be dropped in for the odd game here or there. The lad has fundamental weaknesses that simply aren't going to go away until he's playing games regularly in pro football and making a load of mistakes.

The Given point isn't really relevant because he got a Championship loan at 20. Last summer it was only League One and League Two sides that were in for Woodman. That shows the level he is at, he still looks and plays like a kid despite whatever talent he has. Which is no issue at his age, but he needs to be playing. He's not going to suddenly be getting Championship interest this summer nor is he ready to deputise for a PL side.

I mean even if it doesn't kill him to waste another year not playing, it certainly isn't good for us to be relying on him as first back up. It wouldn't be an Alnwick situation but he certainly isn't ready from the games I've seen him in.

I think the important point is that Rafa clearly wants 2 experienced PL quality keepers here. Unfortunately we all know how this owner operates.

The thought of having an inexperienced kid and Elliot for half a season if something bad happened to Dubravka doesn't bear thinking about really.

Guest Howaythetoon

Goalkeeping and CF is arguably the two positions that demand proven quality. It’s extremly hard to blood in a rookie in either position unless they are undoubtedly the real deal ala Rooney at Everton. Especially so in goal even if the young ‘keeper has oundoubted quality. We have seen with the arrival of Dubravka just how key that position is and we have also seen up front how a lack of quality goalscorer can hamper a team. If we had Dubravka and a goalscorer in August we could be playing Europa League footy next season. A ‘keeper is still young in his late 20s so we can kind of afford to send Woodman out on loan even for a few seasons until he’s ready. The key is finding him the right club and level. The only other ways is to do what Krul did, come in to replace an injured ‘keeper (Harper) perform well and keep his place. Given how Rafa likes to have two similar in quality players for each position it’s gonna be hard for Woodman and it’s why I’m not surprised we are looking at ‘keepers even if we retain Dubravka.