Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Allen's like a welsh Vurnon Anita. No thanks.

Lazy comparison because they're both small. He's much better than Anita.

Tidy on the ball and understands tactics well. Also, when he plays further forward, he's possess decent threat.

He'd certainly fit the team mould.

12 goals in like 160 games, he's only good for what he does, mobile, short passes. He's a pretty nothing player really

Oh look, stats again. :rolleyes: Okay, how many of those games was he played in deep lying playmaker role (not his best position as well) and how many of those was he surrounded by shit players?

Also, Astroblack, fuck sake stop judging his strength based on his height. He hasdecent amount of muscle and is quite competitive.

Rafa would love him here, I'm sure. 

In all seriousness you don't improve signing players like that. We need to be signing players who will actually improve the team not more "depth".

I don't see Allen starting and everyone going "yeah I'm glad he's starting and not Shelvey or Diame".  If we are signing a CM it should be someone who is obviously better than what we have and to me Allen isn't that.

Luckily I think Rafa knows that and won't be interested.

In all seriousness you don't improve signing players like that. We need to be signing players who will actually improve the team not more "depth".

I don't see Allen starting and everyone going "yeah I'm glad he's starting and not Shelvey or Diame".  If we are signing a CM it should be someone who is obviously better than what we have and to me Allen isn't that.

Luckily I think Rafa knows that and won't be interested.

The italics bit is bollocks IMO. As a premise I mean. Forget about Joe Allen in particular. You, in principle, can improve exactly like that. Somebody who fits a system. Who brings what a manager thinks the team needs; and on occasion contributes significantly more than was expected. Historical case(s) in point.  I think players like Barry Venison, Brian Kilcline, Paul Bracewell, Roy Aitken improved the team hugely. More so than many signings which may have got the collective  pulses racing. 

The bit in bold: I agree with the point, about fan reaction, thing is though Diame  played very well against Stoke (away, can’t remember home). But Allen played very well too. He was tenacious and particularly effective when they were without the ball. Regardless of how many goals he scores, if you don’t realise how important it is to close harry,  generally  hassle and breakup play, then I doubt you really understand what contributes to winning football matches.

I’d welcome Allen, if Rafa sees a role for him. He consistently has done, and will continue to do, a job at the top level.

I think I would be more confortable with him displacing ayoze in the team, same workload but allen seems to have a tad more quality and brings the whole team into play. I am not sure about him playing with Shelvey as we would be very "light" and I can´t see him displacing shelvey as he is who makes our team tick when on his game.

To conclude; if we sell merino then yes, if we don´t then I think he´s surplus to requirements...

As long as Merino is around we don't need to bring in another playmaker at CM, him and Shelvey cover that. We need competition and cover for Diame basically, an upgrade to Hayden and our CM is sorted. No Allen thanks.

Exactly. Allen's not going to replace Shelvey or Diame - and even if Merino wants away, is Allen the man we want to replace him?

As long as Merino is around we don't need to bring in another playmaker at CM, him and Shelvey cover that. We need competition and cover for Diame basically, an upgrade to Hayden and our CM is sorted. No Allen thanks.

Exactly. Allen's not going to replace Shelvey or Diame - and even if Merino wants away, is Allen the man we want to replace him?

Nope.

Allen isn't a midfielder I would have picked for us, but I could see him fitting into a  Rafa team very well tbh. Size matters less when you aren't a pressing team, and Rafa likes to play on the counter so a clever little midfielder with work rate could fit the role pretty well.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I think I would be more confortable with him displacing ayoze in the team, same workload but allen seems to have a tad more quality and brings the whole team into play. I am not sure about him playing with Shelvey as we would be very "light" and I can´t see him displacing shelvey as he is who makes our team tick when on his game.

To conclude; if we sell merino then yes, if we don´t then I think he´s surplus to requirements...

Perez already has more goals and assists than Joe Allen, and is younger, not sure what quality Allen has over him

Plus Joe Allen isn't a secondary/deep lying striker/in the hole monger/playmaker/number 10/etc/etc/etc/etc.

4/10 WNB