Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

23 hours ago, Smal said:

If we get into Europe, looking at the squad we only have Longstaff (+ maybe Dummett!) who is over 21 to count as club homegrown. You need up to 4 else you can't register a full 25 man squad. 

With us probably losing Dubravka, Gillespie and Darlow in the summer and maybe Karius too I wonder if it'd be worth getting Krul to come in as 3rd choice keeper? He's obviously shit nowadays and has been dropped by Norwich but he'd probably never play and it's a free slot. I'm sure he'd be up for it. 

Anderson?

Phillip Billing been mentioned? Stands out anytime I’ve seen him(could be because he’s 6’4) but he’s been Bournemouth’s best player and will have plenty of admirers in the summer. Think we’d be in a good position to sign him. 

7 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Phillip Billing been mentioned? Stands out anytime I’ve seen him(could be because he’s 6’4) but he’s been Bournemouth’s best player and will have plenty of admirers in the summer. Think we’d be in a good position to sign him. 

Ever since he's been pushed further up the pitch as an 8 or 10, he's been incredible getting goals and assists.

Wouldn't mind him at all as an option for the number 8 positions, nice that he is left footed as well, as that would be a nice wrinkle to have in there also.

Aye, watching the Bournemouth highlights and he was everywhere. Superb technique, covers every blade of grass and has a devilish strike on him(takes their free kicks ffs). A more robust and athletic Longstaff. 

Edited by Astroblack

Biilling played under JT at Bournemouth so they'll know lots about him. They probably signed him as someone Eddie wanted. He'd be good cover for the Joes which would be wise as we start playing in Europe and the fixture mount up.

2 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

Giovanni Reyna? Not getting a lot of game time this season at Dortmund but still a big talent isn’t he?

Id stay well clear after all the USA drama! 

14 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Id stay well clear after all the USA drama! 

Yeah, his parents seem to be absolute nut jobs.

Aside from that he is also very injury prone.

10 hours ago, Smal said:

Not 21 until November so won't need to be registered for the season and wouldn't take a slot

Isn't that the point? Homegrown and under 21 so don't take a slot - ideal.  We just don't have enough of these types of players.

Edited by duo

9 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Yep. I got shot down by the hipsters ?

40 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, his parents seem to be absolute nut jobs.

Aside from that he is also very injury prone.

Not bothering to put the effort in and train because he wasn’t selected would be a major red flag to Eddie I’d think. There’s a talent there, but just not a good enough character I’d say. Plus the injuries. 

Proof, if it was ever needed, that hipsters have great recall.

Quite like Billing myself to be honest, but not sure he’s someone you sign to move forward with where we’re now at. I would’ve been happy to see him coming in after Shelvey, though, and think he could’ve been useful to us this season with the lack of numbers in midfield.

We’ll surely be aiming higher come the summer? Someone like Milinkovic-Savic, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Proof, if it was ever needed, that hipsters have great recall.

Quite like Billing myself to be honest, but not sure he’s someone you sign to move forward with where we’re now at. I would’ve been happy to see him coming in after Shelvey, though, and think he could’ve been useful to us this season with the lack of numbers in midfield.

We’ll surely be aiming higher come the summer? Someone like Milinkovic-Savic, perhaps?

I think the issue with the likes of billing and players of that calibre is they are essentially squad fillers which you have to pay for. because they are already in the premier league you also have to pay a premium for them. 

Just now, Rich said:

You said you’d prefer him to Milenkovic-Savic, didn’t you? :lol:

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You said you'd rather him than Milkinovic Savic because you'd never heard of him

No I said there wasn’t a massive difference between them (after briefly checking the highlights out of the Lazio player which I made clear that’s all I had done as hadn’t seen him play knowingly) to justify the large differing factors in signing one over the other.

One the manager already knew. One would fit comfortably in our wage structure. One we could tempt without ECL. One would had EPL experience. One would judging by the likely transfer fee and wage deal would be £60-70m over a 5 year cheaper giving us more FFP wriggle room.

The clue is in the thread title. Realistic. Where we were at that time in the window Billing was realistic. It’s so easy just to pluck names out but when you do at least give it some thought to transfer fees/FFP. Wage demands/our wage structure. Character background/Top of EH’s requirements.

Billing would’ve been a very smart signing at the time when we ran out of midfield legs like I predicted we would due to lack of ability to rotate leading to injuries and also impending suspensions if you are the same players over and over again having to make the riskier tackles. He’d be ideal for these final two months to rotate with SL/JW/Joe along with the month we looked flat pre cup final.

Does the fact we didn’t go for Billing despite all of that not mean he wouldn’t have been a smart signing, though? It did look like a possible no-brainer based on some of what you mention after Shelvey left, but it doesn’t even look like we made an enquiry.

Just now, Rich said:

Does the fact we didn’t go for Billing despite all of that not mean he wouldn’t have been a smart signing, though? It did look like a possible no-brainer based on some of what you mention after Shelvey left, but it doesn’t even look like we made an enquiry.

I think we had a relatively modest budget for that window and we decided to take advantage of Everton’s financial plight and pay up front for AG a window earlier than planned to get him for £40m+ instead of the previously quoted £60m+. So with that deal bubbling along in the window they spent what’s left on another “opportunity” due to the contract standoff between WHU and HA. 

I think if we’d beat Sheff Wed I’d like to think we’d of attempted to get a third player in and that player a midfielder.

To answer your question the thread is what forum posters would think is a smarter signing. Didn’t realise the criteria had to include the player being actually linked?