Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

If we get into any European competition, I think we'll see:

- GK, Dubs & Karius leave and we bring an experienced head back in as a happy rotation option. Fraser Forster?

- Bring in one 'prime' CB in who offers more pace as an option + a youngster if Lascelles leaves.

- Had a hunch for a while that we might try and get Hickey in at some point, especially if we're priced out of Tierney. Targett is a very valuable squad member and absolutely should stay.

- CM requires some big outlay with one starter and one younger squad option as a minimum. Thuram ticks a lot of boxes for the former - physical, technical quality that makes him decently press resistant, able to rotate in-game into multiple midfield positions to help free up Bruno etc.

- Expect 2 wide players, maybe 3 if Maxi leaves (if he continues to struggle with fitness then we may look to move him on in the summer). Barnes + a younger player who can fill in out wide as well as through the middle. 

The more the season has gone on, the less I feel we're in the market for a true attacking mid - I'm pretty sure we won't go for Maddison now unless it's a fantastic deal. Wirtz would be the dream but someone like Alex Scott is more likely if we explore this route.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

10 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Bring back Forster and Krul as 2nd and 3d choice.

I liked NUFC360 better when it just rehashed everyone else's news. That's such a braindead post.

30 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Does Gillespie even count as homegrown from our academy?

He left our academy aged 16

I think it has to be 3 years between the ages of 15-21, but not fully sure.

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Some pace at the back is needed and another DM option.  

I was thinking before Christmas we'd go with Schar & Botman as first choice again next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go for pace this summer to partner Botman sooner.

Assuming we keep the same system, if we can get pace and athleticism in at left back I think that would be sufficient. Don’t think replacing Schar is a good idea yet despite his performance at the weekend.

Edited by Smal

7 minutes ago, Smal said:

Assuming we keep the same system, if we can get pace and athleticism in at left back I think that would be sufficient. Don’t think replacing Schar is a good idea yet despite his performance at the weekend.

Schar has been amazing all season, he’s one of the last people to be replaced. The only thing against him is his age. Provided we bring in a youngster who can develop, Schar should hold onto his place for another couple of years 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Schar has been amazing all season, he’s one of the last people to be replaced. The only thing against him is his age. Provided we bring in a youngster who can develop, Schar should hold onto his place for another couple of years 

Agreed. Contract is up in June 2024 though so that might come into it.

4 minutes ago, maze said:

Anyone else up for a short term deal for N’Golo Kanté if that became a possibility? Or is it just me….:lol:

Just you I’d imagine. I absolutely love him, one of my favourite players from the last five years but I think his time has passed 

10 minutes ago, maze said:

Anyone else up for a short term deal for N’Golo Kanté if that became a possibility? Or is it just me….:lol:

Would love him. It's just the wages and the impact of that on squad harmony. And the fact he's been injury prone for 18 months now.

Realistically he'll get himself a 3-year deal at PSG, Serie A or Atleti close to the wages he's on now.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Would love him. It's just the wages and the impact of that on squad harmony. And the fact he's been injury prone for 18 months now.

Realistically he'll get himself a 3-year deal at PSG, Serie A or Atleti close to the wages he's on now.

19 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Just you I’d imagine. I absolutely love him, one of my favourite players from the last five years but I think his time has passed 

Sadly think You’re right? But Chelsea need to do something with their bloated squad this summer. 

30 minutes ago, maze said:

Sadly think You’re right? But Chelsea need to do something with their bloated squad this summer. 

They'll probably just add to it, bloating it a bit more. Their MO seems to be keep chucking money at it and see if it works. Maybe bribe someone from the PL if FFP starts raising it's ugly head.

I've fallen in love with the idea of signing Kovačić. Fee (expires 2024), wages, age - just perfect.

Selected players with contracts also expiring in 2024:

Maddison

Bastoni
Leao

Pau Torres

Neves

Olmo

Cherki

RLC

Y. Fofana

Nico Williams

Leao aside, all of these could be nabbed for good value. Think Real got Camavinga at such a steal because he was also in his last year.