Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

A lot of his set pieces/crosses in the 2nd half were poor, felt like they were all going straight to Meslier 

However despite all that his deliveries create 4 decent chances/opportunities that I can think of (2 for Wood, 1 for Burn and 1 for Schar). On another day a couple of those are taken. 

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

Very disappointing game from him, a rare one mind.

Should have been taken off set pieces after the hour mark though, fucking awful from him today on them.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Had an absolute shitter. It happens though and he’ll get over it.

1 hour ago, Klaus said:

Aye, floated everything straight at Meslier. Shit today but so we're a few others

47 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Poor game from him today, but it goes a long way to show how far we've come when his poor game is a game we dominated and kept a clean sheet in.

34 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Deliveries so bad today he could’ve got a job for Evri. 

Rare one in fairness but utter shite today. Got done by their little winger in the first half too. 

All in all, one to forget. 

Statistically he was actually our best player on the pitch. Of the 7 “big chances” we created, he had 4 of them. He also had more of the ball (102 touches) compared to Bruno (77 touches) who was just behind Tripps and created nothing offensively. 

Said this in the game thread, but Meslier is a very active keeper with 4 high claims, 1 successful run out and punch clearance. What should have been addressed was his ability to get to those dead ball situations by targeting our bigger players on the edge of the box. That or blocking off Meslier getting to the ball to claim it.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing!

4 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Didn't pass the eye test for me today.  Stats feel misleading.  For his very high standards, his delivery was below par.  

I was literally about to post the same comment. Failed the eye test at the stadium where he hasn’t before. 

The stats will always be weighted in his favour in an attacking sense because our whole system is designed around him getting forwards and he takes every attacking set piece, so will always be the source of chances but today he’ll be very unhappy with his performance. 

He even gestured to the fans, with his hand up apologetically, mid way through the second half after another dogshit cross. 

Not sure that’s a measured stat in your list though?

I was hoping he would have quickly realised that the Leeds keeper was one who liked to come out and catch the crosses but so often, Tripps' balls were sent too near to the keeper or were hanging balls. Would have been better if some of our set play were played short in some instances as the long ball deliveries weren't working.

Hope he'll have a banger against Arsenal. Free kick goal again would be nice.

Yeah, our corners are often creative. But our free kick routines leave a lot to be desired. We take an age to set them up, we are often offside and there isn’t much variation. 

I’m sure it is something we will improve on over this season and beyond. 

46 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Didn't pass the eye test for me today.  Stats feel misleading.  For his very high standards, his delivery was below par.  

That’s the beauty of data/stats and analysis, they’re non bias and aren’t misleading in the slightest. [emoji38]

He was our MAIN creative threat and not responsible for lacklustre finishing or missed chances. 

43 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

I was literally about to post the same comment. Failed the eye test at the stadium where he hasn’t before. 

The stats will always be weighted in his favour in an attacking sense because our whole system is designed around him getting forwards and he takes every attacking set piece, so will always be the source of chances but today he’ll be very unhappy with his performance. 

He even gestured to the fans, with his hand up apologetically, mid way through the second half after another dogshit cross. 

Not sure that’s a measured stat in your list though?

Nope, I wasn’t in the ground to give an “eye test”. 

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

That’s the beauty of data/stats and analysis, they’re non bias and aren’t misleading in the slightest. [emoji38]

He was our MAIN creative threat and not responsible for lacklustre finishing or missed chances. 

Not at all true.  Metrics can be flawed.  You don't just use data in isolation without an eye test.

Laughing face emoji. 

We had more than enough half chances on the end of his deliveries today. There was a lot of them and many weren't great and that would be the case even if one of the chances had gone in, but had one of the chances gone in, he'd have more than done his job too.

1 hour ago, David Edgar said:

XG is mega limited.  There are loads of XG models and they all give varying results.  As one example.  And even then that can be flawed.

XG is fine as a general idea of how a game went, but eye test will always be king.

Not if the owner of the eyes is clueless, surely?