Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

Such a shame well get maybe 1 or 2 seasons only at this level.

I disagree. He’s the ultimate professional and looks after himself from a health and fitness perspective. He doesn’t rely on pace. His game is all about touch, technique, positioning, leadership and intelligence. I don’t see him losing any of those traits anytime soon. He could easily be a top level player until he’s 35/36. 

It's amazing just how much of our play revolves around a right back tbh. Sometimes it's extremely noticeable when it's not clicking. The first half today felt like a previous recent match where we didn't seem to know exactly what we were trying to do and how, and it kept going back to him to work it out which, in fairness, he almost did a few times with some cracking balls wherever he could.

Then that second half came, the rest of the team caught up to him and that's when you really see how outrageous his playmaking ability can be. I knew he had a cracking delivery in general but I didn't realise just how great his general footballing IQ is; it's up there with the best. 

56 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Our best ever right back?

By some distance. Cant speak for pre-1990ish, but in 20 or so games he's already surpassed everything Beye, Watson, Venison, Barton, Debuchy, Janmaat ever did both on and off the pitch in terms of quality and quantity. He's absolutely class, a leader, and is quite a few levels above the player that left Spurs.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

By some distance. Cant speak for pre-1990ish, but in 20 or so games he's already surpassed everything Beye, Watson, Venison, Barton, Debuchy, Janmaat ever did both on and off the pitch in terms of quality and quantity. He's absolutely class, a leader, and is quite a few levels above the player that left Spurs.

I'm just old enough to remember the tail end of David Craig's career with us - and he set the gold standard prior to Trippier. The two guys that followed DC were good quality too - Irving Nattrass and John Brownlie.

Tripps is something else again, though, and has been absolutely crucial in our transformation.

We've never really had a "top class" RB before Trippier in all the time I've been following NUFC since the mid 80s. The likes of Venison, Watson and Barton all gave stirling service but were too limited in ability to be rated in the same bracket. I've never rated any of the ones post Bobby Rodson era, especially Debuchy and Janmaat but at least we got decent sell on fees for them.

Said it before in this thread, but he knows what to do in any situation, where to position himself to block, where to be to provide the best option for a team mate, he's got it all at this stage of his career. It's like muscle memory for him now. Lovely player to watch, he makes the position look so easy.

15 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

He is our Kompany. 

He has been even better than I ever expected him to be! 

Tbf Kompany was bought by Man Citys previous owner. Botman is more likely to be our Kompany comparing position, age, potential.

If we -need- to compare, I'd say Trippier is more like our Gareth Barry, no matter how horrible that sounds :lol:

31 minutes ago, Nine said:

Go on :lol:

Beye had said he was going to stay and get us back in the Premier League and then he was one of the first out of the door after we were hammered by Leyton Orient and the players had their infamous meeting. His agent signed up to here to defend him as he was getting a fair bit of backlash as he signed for Villa at a time when they were throwing money around under O’Neill. It was pretty tense after Orient. I can’t remember specific interactions but I know the agents words went down like a lead balloon. 

39 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Tbf Kompany was bought by Man Citys previous owner. Botman is more likely to be our Kompany comparing position, age, potential.

If we -need- to compare, I'd say Trippier is more like our Gareth Barry, no matter how horrible that sounds :lol:

Fair comment 🙌🏽

either way he was such an important signing and the catalyst of this revival. 

5 hours ago, Beth said:

We've never really had a "top class" RB before Trippier in all the time I've been following NUFC since the mid 80s. The likes of Venison, Watson and Barton all gave stirling service but were too limited in ability to be rated in the same bracket. I've never rated any of the ones post Bobby Rodson era, especially Debuchy and Janmaat but at least we got decent sell on fees for them.

I quite liked Marc Hottiger in the 90s. Swiss international 

58 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Aaron Hughes best RB for me, up until Trippier that is. 

Good shout. Not properly appreciated until he left, because he played a variety of positions and was seen as a journeyman. But in retrospect, he was class.