Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

We have to start believing what the club tell us - this isn't about the 23/24 season.

If this really is a ten-year project and we have an opportunity to boost the coffers by selling a 33-year-old, clearly we're willing to do it, even if it has a detrimental effect in the short term (which I believe it will).

It's the same reason we spent so much on a "back-up" RB - because he wasn't bought to be our back-up RB in the long term...

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

We have to start believing what the club tell us - this isn't about the 23/24 season.

If this really is a ten-year project and we have an opportunity to boost the coffers by selling a 33-year-old, clearly we're willing to do it, even if it has a detrimental effect in the short term (which I believe it will).

It's the same reason we spent so much on a "back-up" RB - because he wasn't bought to be our back-up RB in the long term...

It literally says he's not for sake so how are we clearly willing? 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Anyways if he wants to leave it’s time to show him the door and wish him the best as long as our terms are met. Nobody is bigger than the club. 

100 percent. I don’t want him to go, but I’m not as down on the deal as others tbf 

I like the way Man City do things albeit they have a ridiculous squad, if a player wants away they let him for the right money and go again 

Edited by Andy84

3 minutes ago, Karjala said:

How much is this asset worth fee wise? £10m? 

Will make little difference to FFP and we simply can't replace him for less. He's worth way more than that fee to us.

Something else to this story than FFP I feel.

I’ve absolutely no idea, but as I expect we’ll demand a substantial fee up front and that under FFP purchases are amortised over the length of the contract it would obviously make a big difference in FFP terms.

Just now, Sempiternal said:

100 percent. I don’t want him to go, but I’m not as down on the deal as others tbf 

I’m not against it if it’s a sale and a decent fee, a loan deal would be poor business though.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

How is there clearly something up with him?

As I said in my previous post, severe loss of form, reacting to a fan and arguing with him which was completely out of character, looking rattled as fuck against Chelsea.. And, well, accepting a deal to leave the club to move to a foreign country when he previously left Atletico because his family was home sick abroad. 

It could all be coincidental, but to me there has been something going on with him :dontknow:

Just now, Sempiternal said:

I think everyone is in shock, it’s come out of nowhere. Nobody had him leaving it’s not something that make sense on the face of it. 

I’ll be gutted he’s been magnificent for us but the show must go on, if anything I’ll be disappointed in trips. 

If we don’t use this as a way to get a player from Bayern but instead prioritize one of those premier league players C Waugh mentioned today in the athletic then I’ll be fucking furious like. Would really question the strategic plan. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not against it if it’s a sale and a decent fee, a loan deal would be poor business though.

Yeah, but also if he doesn’t want to be here may as well cut bait. Imo at least.

If we allow Trippier to leave and don't bring in another body in I will scratch my head mind.

Livramento will have to step up and then we are going to have to find a new left back soonish too.

10 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Hopefully in future we just stay quiet about financial fair play, being so public seems to have created open season on our squad in the media eyes. Just about everyone of our saleable players has been linked with someone. Hopefully this story turns out to be rubbish.

But the accounts are a public record. It's not as if the club could hide it. 

Clubs no doubt have people scouring through other clubs' accounts to work out where they are in comparison.

His age really softens the blow from a footballing perspective, given our season is completely fucked, he'll be half a year older by the time we're back for next season.

It's the fact I always saw him staying on afterwards that hurts more, which is weird as fuck tbh :lol:

Just now, STM said:

If we allow Trippier to leave and don't bring in another body in I will scratch my head mind.

Livramento will have to step up and then we are going to have to find a new left back soonish too.

We already have a new left back in Hall.

It's pure pragmatism from us. He's 33 we need to juice our FFP. We might even make a profit on him. We also need to think about the future and not just the here and now.

One of the most important signings for out club in the past 20 years, probably in my lifetime to be honest.

The nature of FFP is that football's been turned into an investment business. You've just got to sell when you can, and keep replacing with players with potential to hopefully generate a profit. It really is just a cutthroat business nowadays.

I didn't see him leaving us, I thought he would retire here. Having a player of Livramento's quality waiting in the wings definitely makes this deal more palatable but I'd be sad to see him go. Trippier's been poor the last few games but overall the quality he's brought to our team through both off and on the pitch has been nothing short of world class.

If you are off Tripps, thank you for giving us some of your best years. You're a class act.

Just now, Karjala said:

Who hasn't been picked despite Burn and Targett missing most of the season? 

We are paying 35 million for him in the summer, we aren’t going to bring in another left back on top of that.