Sven Botman

The Prophet

• 3 weeks later...

Our most overrated player this season and I don't mean that in a negative way, I don't mean that he hasn't been great, nor is it meant at all as a criticism of him or his performances.

All I mean is that, particularly amongst non-Newcastle fans, he's been given an unbelievable amount of plaudits that imo go way beyond how good he's been and certainly far beyond how good Fabian Schar, the better of the two CBs this season, has been. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Our most overrated player this season and I don't mean that in a negative way, I don't mean that he hasn't been great, nor is it meant at all as a criticism of him or his performances.

All I mean is that, particularly amongst non-Newcastle fans, he's been given an unbelievable amount of plaudits that imo go way beyond how good he's been and certainly far beyond how good Fabian Schar, the better of the two CBs this season, has been. 

This I agree with fully. Schar hasn't got his plaudits at all. Sven has gotten all of them.

It feeds into the "Newcastle have bought success" narrative as if Botman has been the VVD to Schar's Gomez.

Being you and English, the likes of Willock have avoided that fate.

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This I agree with fully. Schar hasn't got his plaudits at all. Sven has gotten all of them.

Definitely. Schar has been one of the best CB's in the league this season and it's gone largely unnoticed as both Newcastle fans, and neutral fans, pay way more attention to Botman with him coming in with the big price tag/rep. The unlikely ScharJoe double act should be one of the feel good stories of the season!

1 minute ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Can a player win player and the young player award?

Or what if haaland wins the player and not the young player.. which make no sense as surely he would have to be both by default?

Yes. It's been done before. I think Michael Owen did.

4 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Ah the young world class Owen, not the one we had!

Andy Gray definitely did. Not 100% sure Owen but fairly sure. Think there's a couple more.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

And Cristiano.....

Been looking it up as well ?

Edit Owen didn't. Shows my age the only one I knew for definite was from the 70s 

Edited by madras

Interesting shift in role/system when Ferguson came on.

Don't know if it would have been as clear from the TV but at the ground it looked like he went man to man on Ferguson which nullified him but also left massive gaps at the back, with Botman literally following him into his own half at times.

Clearly something they'd pre-planned.

Also, what a beast this fella is. For his first season in England, he's been fucking brilliant.