Sven Botman

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Magpie said:

Feel like we should just steam in with a £40m take it or leave it deal. Sure he wants to come, would certainly speed it up.

I doubt we'll be doing that, it sends a message that we will just overpay.  I'd rather we went elsewhere if they keep raising the price, it went from 30m to 60m didn't it?

£35m is a lot of money for a young defender who's never played in the Prem like.

Obviously Lille are under no obligation to accept it, he's more than proven himself to them, but I cannot see us just throwing more money at them after seeing how the Trippier deal has been handled.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

£35m is a lot of money for a young defender who's never played in the Prem like.

Obviously Lille are under no obligation to accept it, he's more than proven himself to them, but I cannot see us just throwing more money at them after seeing how the Trippier deal has been handled.

Lucky we have a lot of money then 

Just now, JonBez comesock said:

Lucky we have a lot of money then 

Aye but the point is we've went in with an initial offer which more than matches the players worth. In the past we would start with a derisory offer and then come back with further derisory offers until the window shuts.

Now we're starting off with a completely fair offer so I would be suprised if we add too much more on top.

2 hours ago, Shak said:

Yeah, there's a balance to be struck between getting our #1 target and letting clubs know we won't have the piss taken over the price.

A few negotiations where we walk away from the deal and move to other targets will be beneficial to us in the long term.

Depends just how good Botman is. 30m seems like a stupidly high amount, but if he turns out to be the next Van Dijk, then will seem like a bargain in a year's time. It's all about how highly we rate him. 

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Aye but the point is we've went in with an initial offer which more than matches the players worth. In the past we would start with a derisory offer and then come back with further derisory offers until the window shuts.

Now we're starting off with a completely fair offer so I would be suprised if we add too much more on top.

Agreed , let’s hope we saved a bit on the trippier transfer and can nudge the botman offer (if that’s what’s required)

to be honest none of us know the real facts and figures being discussed (the trippier deal shows none of the journalists have a clue either until the last minute) 

I agree it’s a risk at 21 and not tested in the premier league but to be honest we have to trust the recruitment process 

Edited by JonBez comesock

10 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I doubt we'll be doing that, it sends a message that we will just overpay.  I'd rather we went elsewhere if they keep raising the price, it went from 30m to 60m didn't it?

Thats simply because they dont want to sell him.  Its no different to us slapping a £70m fee on ASM because we dont want to sell our best player!

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Depends just how good Botman is. 30m seems like a stupidly high amount, but if he turns out to be the next Van Dijk, then will seem like a bargain in a year's time. It's all about how highly we rate him. 

By the sounds of things he doesn't have the pace or mobility of VVD though does he?

Botman looks completely fit to make it in the Prem like but VVD is a bit of an outlier given his height and how mobile he is.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

By the sounds of things he doesn't have the pace or mobility of VVD though does he?

Botman looks completely fit to make it in the Prem like but VVD is a bit of an outlier given his height and how mobile he is.

I haven't seen him yet, but yeah I assumed he'd not be short of pace. Not really sure why we would be signing anyone who lacks a vital attribute when we can afford the best now. There must be more to it than that. 

27 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

Still seems odd as fuck that they'd like some NUFC transfer news though? 

Could be loads of different motivation for it - if they are trying to encourage/force a new contract at his current club or even show other teams/agents there is interest elsewhere.

It could also be there is interest from our side, they’ve held talks and he has genuine respect for the club but doesn’t fancy the move. Could be a million different things :lol: 

But aye, one of those things could also be he fancies the move to us.

There was talk that he was waiting to see if a CL club would come in for him. I think the Trippier deal might start a domino effect, players who would have previously thought "nah they are 19th in the table" will now be thinking "fucking hell, what is going on over there?!" and giving their agents a boot up the backside. 

39 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think in any industry your starting bid would be lower than what you are willing to pay. 

12 minutes ago, NWMag said:

I think in any industry your starting bid would be lower than what you are willing to pay. 

I doubt £35m is our final offer but I would be surprised if we go too high above it. £35m is a really strong offer for a 21 year old CB who's played 1 season in a top league.

Under Ashley we would go in with pointless opening bids which not only wouldn't be accepted, but probably just put other clubs off doing business with us. 

It was like they thought they'd cracked it all, offer someone a grand for their brand new Ferrari, get knocked back, but then they'll be amazed by your second offer of £7k and will immediately sell up.

Kind of surprised we aren't bidding for Benoît Badiashile if (no one know's nowt...) Botman is a no go. Similar players I'd of thought. Both young, tall, athletic and good on the ball. Would've imagined Badiashile would be attracting interest from better placed clubs than us so that could be it.

If it's really his account liking the tweet on the Trippier signing, there has to be more than meets the eye. Can't imagine Lille being too happy about what would be a clear sign of intent on the player's part. No matter how subtle, it means his head has been turned.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I doubt £35m is our final offer but I would be surprised if we go too high above it. £35m is a really strong offer for a 21 year old CB who's played 1 season in a top league.

Under Ashley we would go in with pointless opening bids which not only wouldn't be accepted, but probably just put other clubs off doing business with us. 

It was like they thought they'd cracked it all, offer someone a grand for their brand new Ferrari, get knocked back, but then they'll be amazed by your second offer of £7k and will immediately sell up.

Also, judging by the Trippier deal, it probably won't be a €35M lump sum that we've offered, it'll probably be much lower than that up front.