Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, morpeth mag said:

I agree, I think we will be way bigger in time.

:lol:

I think a lot of people will be very disappointed tbh.

They keep telling us it's going to be more of a gradual and sustainable build, and any success is going to be based on sound decisions, but people aren't believing it. I think they're going to go about things exactly like they've said.

Don't think we are ever going to see huge amounts of money being thrown around the way the other two have gone about things.

2 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Im all washed and lathered with NUFC.....love this sports washing me.   Beats being shat on for 14 years, was that sports dumping?

The sports washing thing is fascinating to me.

Firstly, why anyone thinks those folks care further about how they are perceived I have no idea. Everywhere they go the leaders of countries already roll out the red carpet for them!

Secondly, as far as I can see, all these supposed sports washing projects only get them more grief and if anything, just spotlight the issues in their countries. Is there any single example of a successful sports washing endeavour?!

I think they just mean the building will be gradual and the decisions will be thoughtful. It doesn't mean they're not prepared to spend a shit-ton of money when needed.

I don't know much about PSG's story, but I think Man City is a good comparison. They have been smart and they have a great organisation, but it doesn't mean they don't use their finances to outmuscle people. When they needed to spend £150m+ on fullbacks to get the right one, they went out and did it. 

18 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's going to be really interesting to see how this all plays out with Newcastle.

I'm not a 100% convinced we are going to be anything like PSG or Man City at all.

We will be as they have the money to burn. Going to take longer that's all with the FFP rules in place and they can't spend the big money fees (they would if they could) until the commercial/sponsorship streams are increased. PSG and City didn't have those obstacles in play when they took over. PIF didn't wait a year and a half to own us (they could have went to a club abroad) to play second fiddle. 

Edited by et tu brute

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think they just mean the building will be gradual and the decisions will be thoughtful. It doesn't mean they're not prepared to spend a shit-ton of money when needed.

I don't know much about PSG's story, but I think Man City is a good comparison. They have been smart and they have a great organisation, but it doesn't mean they don't use their finances to outmuscle people. When they needed to spend £150m+ on fullbacks to get the right one, they went out and did it. 

I hear you, but I'm not so certain. Lets see how it goes.

I think they are going to put excellent people in place, and we are going to have success in a way that is not going to require a 'shit-ton' of money being thrown around.

To be fair to City, if you discount those early days when they went a bit mental (comparatively), they have been pretty shrewd in recent times. Before Grelish their transfer record was the £68m they spend on De Bruyne back in 2015. Grelish aside, they have always tended to operate in the £50-£70m range for players, and usually for players on the up, rather than at the top ready to start declining. It's PSG that pull the truly mental shit. 

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

To be fair to City, if you discount those early days when they went a bit mental (comparatively), they have been pretty shrewd in recent times. Before Grelish their transfer record was the £68m they spend on De Bruyne back in 2015. Grelish aside, they have always tended to operate in the £50-£70m range for players, and usually for players on the up, rather than at the top ready to start declining. It's PSG that pull the truly mental shit. 

Yeah, I agree. And I think we are just going to follow that blueprint of getting players with big time potential a bit earlier on, but do it from the outset, and we will have a lot of success with it.

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

PSG are hilarious, the amount of money they’ve spent for the relative lack of success on the pitch is remarkable

I'm sure they will brute force the CL eventually, but they're the perfect example of how not to do it. 

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Firstly, why anyone thinks those folks care further about how they are perceived I have no idea. Everywhere they go the leaders of countries already roll out the red carpet for them!

Secondly, as far as I can see, all these supposed sports washing projects only get them more grief and if anything, just spotlight the issues in their countries. Is there any single example of a successful sports washing endeavour?!

i dont know much about the sport washing thing, but what do they earn on this? The Qatar WC has been a car crash on every level. And when they buy a club what do they achieve? They will have a fanbase who "defends" them. Some millions worldwide? Then you have the rest of the millions/billions hating everything they do. All newspaper/TV/media will be negative against the ownership. There is nobody who will be going around for years and tell the word..do you rememeber how wonderful the Qatar WC was? Do you remember when PSG was so good in Ligue 1? That was magic!

So can anyone enlighten me on this big business called sports washing?

Sorry as this is the Botman thread.. 

16 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

i dont know much about the sport washing thing, but what do they earn on this? The Qatar WC has been a car crash on every level. And when they buy a club what do they achieve? They will have a fanbase who "defends" them. Some millions worldwide? Then you have the rest of the millions/billions hating everything they do. All newspaper/TV/media will be negative against the ownership. There is nobody who will be going around for years and tell the word..do you rememeber how wonderful the Qatar WC was? Do you remember when PSG was so good in Ligue 1? That was magic!

So can anyone enlighten me on this big business called sports washing?

Sorry as this is the Botman thread.. 

I don't understand it either man ... even with Man City and PSG I barely even attach them to the countries involved when just watching the games, never mind actually looking at those countries in any kind of better light because of a bloody football team. It's a shocking strategy if that's what they're supposedly going for.

13 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I'm sure they will brute force the CL eventually, but they're the perfect example of how not to do it. 

I think they've worked themselves into a shoot. Like a roided up version of Rangers in the 90s. Far too good, rich, strong for their competition - more money than the rest of the league combined, but when it came to Europe they're disadvantaged by not being as battle hardened and match sharp as their opponents.

42 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I know all words are made up but 'sportswashing' is beyond contrived. It in itself is another contrived word 'whataboutery' and basically means 'only foucs on the sports side, not the other things, because that's where my (vested) interests lie"

Guest HTT II

Sportswashing doesn’t exist! Or certainly doesn’t work, that’s not why these people buy football clubs or invest in other industries, sports and businesses.

Edited by HTT II

You've got to be a pretty big doofus to walk away after years of watching football and saying "nah marrah, the Saudis/Qataris/UAE, they were amazing countries and they do great things" and somehow be brainwashed into thinking whatever they've done in their respective countries. I think the idea of sports washing is fucking moronic, why? because the press will have never let it go. Nobody of any importance or significance, and certainly not the greater % of sports fans and regular human beings are going to suddenly just be OK with what those governments/royal families have done and continue to do. It's the small % of lemmings who probably still believe the earth is flat and Trump should have won the election. Nothings. 

Edited by Kanji

Intended or not, at a very base level our owners now have an army of Newcastle fans willing to defend or deflect from the things the Saudis do, a few dupes in the fan base and in the media who think this 'brings them to the table', and a fair few people who deny sportswashing exists.

Whether something is a success or failure and the form that something takes doesn't make any difference to whether something exists or not. Sportswashing does exist and putting it bluntly it's ignorant to suggest otherwise

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Intended or not, at a very base level our owners now have an army of Newcastle fans willing to defend or deflect from the things the Saudis do, a few dupes in the fan base and in the media who think this 'brings them to the table', and a fair few people who deny sportswashing exists.

Whether something is a success or failure and the form that something takes doesn't make any difference to whether something exists or not. Sportswashing does exist and putting it bluntly it's ignorant to suggest otherwise

Im ignorant.......wash me!

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They wouldn't have defended or deflected things before the takeover because they were never brought up to anywhere near this degree before, so intsead of 'sportswashing' its highlighted things more and caused a need for defence, deflection - context to me - that wasn't present before. If its 'sportswashing' its been extremely counter productive.

But then I'm ignorant too.

Edited by Wolfcastle

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah i hear from Amnesty etc that sport washing exist, but i cant see how it works. Every time somebody see a nufc shirt now, everybody (except our fanbase) will relate that shirt to bad owners, dictators, oil, state owned etc. If we should reach a CL finale then billions of people will get the truth about our owners. Billions will see the finale and out of the TV there will come tons of negative things about the ownership. What will this benefit for sports washing. As I said you will get the fanbase "defend" it, but the rest of the world will shoot at you. Isnt it better to live your dictatorship in silence? 

22 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not seen anyone defending what the Saudi's do because they bought the club. Is that actually happening?

At most they are just letting other fans get under their skin and so are firing back about the hypocrisy of it all in annoyance, and then being petty by carrying the flag or dressing up in their attire, which is ridiculous, but in no way means they care about and now support the Saudis or their practices.

If we are talking about people genuinely now looking more favourably on these countries because of a football club, that just is not happening, no one cares enough to do such a thing. I think it is preposterous.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

What part of it has been disgusting? The white away shirt has been the only sign so far (sportswashing) that I’ve seen in relation to us so far. It’s all been Amanda and Mehrdad for the most part who have spearheaded every new initiative and they’ve been a breath of fresh air.

They haven’t shown any signs that they are about to follow the Man City route, in fact it looks like any success we get will at least have some home grown element to it if and when it happens.

The whole thing is disgusting like. I'm mainly onabout the footballing side more so that the political side.

If this happened to Villa instead this forum would be full of the same stuff we're reading about us. Football is fucked, so I don't care too much now, but this is deffinitely not how I wanted us to win things (if we do) 10 year ago.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Not seen anyone defending what the Saudi's do because they bought the club. Is that actually happening?

At most they are just letting other fans get under their skin and so are firing back about the hypocrisy of it all in annoyance, and then being petty by carrying the flag or dressing up in their attire, which is ridiculous, but in no way means they care about the Saudis or their practices.

If we are talking about people genuinely now looking more favourably on these countries because of a football club, that just is not happening, no one cares enough to do such a thing. I think it is preposterous.

Couldn't agree more and like wasn't enough