More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I said there would be exceptions to any price band if you read my original message. 

You can have decent scouting but you will still buy as many bad players and good in the £20/£30 million bracket. Look at our January transfer window, it is no coincidence that our best player by far, a level above all the other players we bought, was over £30 million and will probably end up closer to £40 million. 

And ‘exceptions’ are one or two players. I gave you a substantial list. Given we need squad wide improvement in nearly every area, I simply can’t see the club spending £50m+ for everything we need. We need to keep decent money back for improvement the year or two after, when we are (hopefully) in Europe, getting established as a top team/club, and have the draw for the mega money players you want us to sign. Right now I’d say we aren’t. 

Just now, Ikon said:

“Apart from FFP” being key words. I know that we could spend a lot despite ffp. But we won’t put all our eggs in one basket, and rightly so. We need to do some sensible spending too. I’m sure we will sign real quality. But they don’t have to cost 50m each. Plus we need more than 4 players anyway.

Exactly, so they aren't  key words. Not an issue as it stands will be even less of a one when we sign new commercial deals. 

In an ideal world yes we need more than 4 players but I honestly don't think our squad is as weak in relation to other teams as we think it is. 

4 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Talking about the 1st team, not boosting the squad, Targett was a great signing but I think we now have enough at that level and if we introduced a player of similar pedigree then it would not improve the team. For want of a better way of putting it, we now have a team of Targetts and need to step up in terms of quality. 

We can improve the 1st team without spending a ludicrous amount of money on every player. 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

And ‘exceptions’ are one or two players. I gave you a substantial list. Given we need squad wide improvement in nearly every area, I simply can’t see the club spending £50m+ for everything we need. We need to keep decent money back for improvement the year or two after, when we are (hopefully) in Europe, getting established as a top team/club, and have the draw for the mega money players you want us to sign. Right now I’d say we aren’t. 

We have the money, there is no need to keep any back. That's not saying spend £500 million this summer but £200 million would be more than reasonable. 

I mean tbf, you’d like to think that they’re willing to spend atleast 100 million if they want to actually compete at the top end of the table. 

Add on to that whatever they bring in from selling the likes of Gayle, Almiron etc. Say 50 million. I’m quietly confident of a good summer. 

We should put a 500k bid in for Hamza Choudhury. Just to make a point of we’re coming from to where we’re going. 

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Exactly, so they aren't  key words. Not an issue as it stands will be even less of a one when we sign new commercial deals. 

In an ideal world yes we need more than 4 players but I honestly don't think our squad is as weak in relation to other teams as we think it is. 

You didn’t even read what I said did you. We won’t put all eggs in one basket. We can’t risk spending money like crazy. Especially if we don’t improve our income on and off the field before we really really start spending BIG. If we spend all we can now “hypothetically” and we don’t end up playing in the CL like we thought we would then what? Look at Everton, they have spent a lot but never reached high enough on the sporting level so now they can’t spends much at all anymore, and are now fighting relegation. 

We will make ambitious signings but we also need to make shrewd signings too that won’t cost a bomb either. Can be ambitious but also sensible in our spending. We are aiming high but it will take time to get where we want. 

Enough said about it from me :) 

Just now, Ikon said:

We can improve the 1st team without spending a ludicrous amount of money on every player. 

Not every player but in the main people are defying logic if they can not see the relation to spend and league position. As I have said, it is no coincidence that by far our best player this January was the most expensive one who will end up close to £40 million with add ons. We should now be looking at Bruno-type of players not Targett-type of players which is what people are indirectly advocating through free transfers, clauses and £20-£30 million on players. I have nothing against Targett, a good player who will be around the 1st team for a good few seasons but buying players of his standard in the future won't improve the team in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

You didn’t even read what I said did you. We won’t put all eggs in one basket. We can’t risk spending money like crazy. Especially if we don’t improve our income on and off the field before we really really start spending BIG. If we spend all we can now “hypothetically” and we don’t end up playing in the CL like we thought we would then what? Look at Everton, they have spent a lot but never reached high enough on the sporting level so now they can’t spends much at all anymore, and are now fighting relegation. 

We will make ambitious signings but we also need to make shrewd signings too that won’t cost a bomb either. Can be ambitious but also sensible in our spending. We are aiming high but it will take time to get where we want. 

I'm very sure our deals will come through very soon to allow us to stay well within FFP!:lol: I enjoyed our exchange and hopefully we both agree on enjoying the summer ahead!

8 minutes ago, macphisto said:

We have the money, there is no need to keep any back. That's not saying spend £500 million this summer but £200 million would be more than reasonable. 

Man City bought the likes of Bellamy, Bridge etc in the year after their takeover, then spent more in the following years once the club grew as a result. It’s impossible to go and spend all the money in one go like you’re suggesting- for one thing, most ‘elite level’ players (Haaland, Mbappe etc) wouldn’t go near us right now, despite the cash available, as they would have better offers elsewhere. We MIGHT have a chance with the likes of Nunez, but even he will probably have better offers in terms of established teams wanting him, and look to go there rather than to us. The 20-30 bracket are those players who might well be elite players in a few years, and can grow with us- the Raphinhas etc. Sprinkle those with a 40m Bruno here and there, and the future of the club will be good going forward. 

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I agree with this and I think thats pretty much what Man City did in their first season of them being taken over. Need to lay the right foundations before building our house.

Just now, Manxst said:

Man City bought the likes of Bellamy, Bridge etc in the year after their takeover, then spent more in the following years once the club grew as a result. It’s impossible to go and spend all the money in one go like you’re suggesting- for one thing, most ‘elite level’ players (Haaland, Mbappe etc) wouldn’t go near us right now, despite the cash available, as they would have better offers elsewhere. We MIGHT have a chance with the likes of Nunez, but even he will probably have better offers in terms of established teams wanting him, and look to go there rather than to us. The 20-30 bracket are those players who might well be elite players in a few years, and can grow with us- the Raphinhas etc. Sprinkle those with a 40m Bruno here and there, and the future of the club will be good going forward. 

I totally agree on players like Bridge and Bellamy who would be a lot more than £30 million in today's market. £200 million is not all of our money in one go, far from it. I can't give suggestions as I don't know enough about other leagues but I'm sure there are a fair few players of Bruno's standard we could get  and that is what we should be looking for. 

As I said in my last post, interesting summer ahead but I think we will all be pleasantly surprised. 

Guest HTT II

I’ve been told we pretty much have 4 deals almost pretty much done for the summer already and that we will spend close to 200m with player sales included. I assume one of those 4 is Targett…

28 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I mean tbf, you’d like to think that they’re willing to spend atleast 100 million if they want to actually compete at the top end of the table. 

Add on to that whatever they bring in from selling the likes of Gayle, Almiron etc. Say 50 million. I’m quietly confident of a good summer. 

We should put a 500k bid in for Hamza Choudhury. Just to make a point of we’re coming from to where we’re going. 

Apart from maybe Almiron, we'd be lucky if we could offload some of the deadwood without having to pay for part of their contracts as part of the transfer agreement. There's absolutely zero chance of us raking in anything close to 50m in transfer fees unless one of our better players attract interest from someone and we are willing to sell.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Apart from maybe Almiron, we'd be lucky if we could offload some of the deadwood without having to pay for part of their contracts as part of the transfer agreement. There's absolutely zero chance of us raking in anything close to 50m in transfer fees unless one of our better players attract interest from someone and we are willing to sell.

Think Almiron, Hayden and Lascelles could get us about 30 million. Obviously not the real dead wood but certainly expendable if we are upgrading in the summer.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, LFEE said:
3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Would love Abraham. Had a brilliant season for Roma, he just gets on the end of chances.

We don’t make any though. Look at the service Wood has received

Fair point completely. We need a creator just as much as we need a converter. 

37 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve been told we pretty much have 4 deals almost pretty much done for the summer already and that we will spend close to 200m with player sales included. I assume one of those 4 is Targett…

Only 61 days until we find out…

44 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I totally agree on players like Bridge and Bellamy who would be a lot more than £30 million in today's market. £200 million is not all of our money in one go, far from it. I can't give suggestions as I don't know enough about other leagues but I'm sure there are a fair few players of Bruno's standard we could get  and that is what we should be looking for. 

As I said in my last post, interesting summer ahead but I think we will all be pleasantly surprised. 

Can’t see a Bridge type going for over 30m when Targett can be got for 15m? Anyway, hope that you’re right- I’m sure we’ll have a good summer whatever happens. ?

27 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Can’t see a Bridge type going for over 30m when Targett can be got for 15m? Anyway, hope that you’re right- I’m sure we’ll have a good summer whatever happens. ?

Targett IS a Bridge type. Both mid 20’s solid English left backs. 

Loads of frees to build a squad with...

Kamara 

Lingard

Eriksen

Rudiger

Origi

Dembele

Sergio Asenjo

Dybala

Luiz Felipe

Alessio Romagnoli 

MBappe

Florian Grillitsch

Dan-Axel Zagadou

Don't even need to spend a penny ;)

Just now, kingxlnc said:

I know. That was my point, although granted Targett is a few years younger (Bridge was 29 when he joined Man City for 12m) and not an international per se. 

6 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Bridge was involved around the England setup for a long time, just checked and he had 36 appearances as a starter and sub. Anyone with that type of profile would now be a lot more than £30 million. 

As much as I'm happy with Targett, his profile is nothing like Bridge.