More transfer rumours

midds

31 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

If PIF don’t bring in the quality we need in forward positions very soon we are looking at another mid table, ‘consolidation’ season. Frustrating because we have a real opportunity to drive on and challenge for Europe.

Tbf I think we’d be getting way ahead of ourselves if we were disappointed with a mid table finish next season, a top 10 finish would be a very good result. Just 6 months ago we hadn’t won a game in the league and were certs to go down, much of that squad is still here. Yes we went on a freak run but don’t let that fool you into being the norm now, you will only end up disappointed.

Finishing 10th wouldn't be very good no matter how you look at it dude. Im not saying i expect Europe or anything. If the club is as ambitious as they say then 10th position wont be "very good".

Feels like the longer the gaps between signings the higher the inflated expectations are getting. No point rushing things and paying over the odds now with several weeks left, total confidence that we'll get more players in and we'll finish in a respectable position in the league next season - after the last decade and a half I am entirely content with that situation to be honest.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not wanting to pay around ten million and waiting for a club to go bust instead is a shitty move, we don’t have an obligation but the shoe could always be on the other foot and we wouldn’t feel the same.

Surely you don’t believe everything you read. It’s a good angle for a tabloid stylee story, but the reality is probably closer to a we made a simple enquiry (if there was one) rather than we’ve a firm interest and we’re holding out to pay a closing down sale price.

14 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Isn’t he on really crazy wages at Villa?

free transfer, so could have given an higher sign on fee. 

And he is not on so high wages from what I saw. 

3 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

If you value someone at £25m, that's the price you're ultimately happy to pay. Why would you make that your first bid?

It's a trend that the club seem to keep repeating. 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Surely you don’t believe everything you read. It’s a good angle for a tabloid stylee story, but the reality is probably closer to a we made a simple enquiry (if there was one) rather than we’ve a firm interest and we’re holding out to pay a closing down sale price.

I’ve said about 5 times already I’m basing it on if the story is true. I’m not saying it is true.

On that note I’m also not just going to dismiss any story that’s negative either just because we don’t want to hear it. 

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Finishing 10th wouldn't be very good no matter how you look at it dude. Im not saying i expect Europe or anything. If the club is as ambitious as they say then 10th position wont be "very good".

It’s as realistic as we can aim currently imo.

6 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

Feels like the longer the gaps between signings the higher the inflated expectations are getting. No point rushing things and paying over the odds now with several weeks left, total confidence that we'll get more players in and we'll finish in a respectable position in the league next season - after the last decade and a half I am entirely content with that situation to be honest.

There’s probably a relevant analogy with the price of flights. Some good value early seats available. Price hikes closer to date and then better value again towards last minute. 

(of course the risk is there being no seats left that you want/need). 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

2 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

It's a trend that the club seem to keep repeating. 

Well yeah, it's called trying to get a value from a deal and not playing hand first up :lol:

Man people love a bit of betwetting :lol:

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

It’s as realistic as we can aim currently imo.

I'd aim at 8th and that would be a very good season imo. 10th would be "par"", not Very Good.

Just now, snakzz said:

Is it banned on this forum to say that we seems like amateurs in the transfermarket atm?

atleast in some areas. 

Not allowed to say anything negative about the owners! We should be grateful for everything!

Just now, snakzz said:

Is it banned on this forum to say that we seems like amateurs in the transfermarket atm?

atleast in some areas. 

It’s good to test the water/share concerns like us appearing amateurish in the arts of negotiation. I don’t think going in with what you’ll pay, if indeed that is our modus operandi, means that the people involved don’t know what they’re doing. 

Club are focussing on good value and not getting rinsed.

All that's happening is we aren't signing our top targets.

I hope that JH bid of 17m is false. Anything under £25m and we are wasting time. I don't expect Leeds to sell for anything less than £30m, if I was them I would want closer to £40m. Us doing this dance is a stupid one.

I've said it before - if we want to seriously climb the table we'll need to spend proper money on players that might look expensive in the moment.

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Personally, as a first full season under new ownership and a first summer window at actually attempting to build a real squad 10th to me seems a pretty solid start that I’d be happy with. It’s a pretty good launchpad to move on with, as long as we are in there with the West Ham/Villa/Leicester group I think we’ve done a good job. 

What’s more important to me than league position is seeing how the fast the club/squad can progress over a full season. We are going to be in the stepping stone stage for at least 3/4 years imo, building a good squad of players that we can then add real elite quality to that will see us hopefully push on from there. I’m just excited to see how we can evolve over a full 38 games from the end of this window.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

Tbf I think we’d be getting way ahead of ourselves if we were disappointed with a mid table finish next season, a top 10 finish would be a very good result. Just 6 months ago we hadn’t won a game in the league and were certs to go down, much of that squad is still here. Yes we went on a freak run but don’t let that fool you into being the norm now, you will only end up disappointed.

I’m not, I was at St James’ with 16,000 when things were genuinely bad so I know disappointment. We have a real chance to kick on now, instead of being grateful we won’t be in another relegation battle we should be looking further up the table and looking at the players we need to challenge 6th to 8th. I would be slightly disappointed with another mid-table finish because I think we can do better. This is largely academic at the moment because we don’t know what business the club will do between now and the window closing. That’s when we’ll know the extent of the club’s shorter term ambitions i.e. are they are going for the ‘slow build’ which may be at odds with what they’ve sold the likes of Bruno and Botman.

6 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I'd aim at 8th and that would be a very good season imo. 10th would be "par"", not Very Good.

I’d aim as high as possible but our current squad isn’t good enough for top 8 I don’t think.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d aim as high as possible but our current squad isn’t good enough for top 8 I don’t think.

Yes you're right. The squad isn't good enough for top 8  as it is now. Hopefully it will be better soon if we are ambitious.

Edited by Ikon