More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

That story is full on spin mode. Any rational actor would want to stall to see if they can get a better price. 

Each player will haver their own unique 'deal' price. We know we are bidding significant sums for players, the money is plainly there for the right player at the right price. 

1 minute ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Each player will haver their own unique 'deal' price. We know we are bidding significant sums for players, the money is plainly there for the right player at the right price. 

I think so too, but I also think we will have to overpay to get the players we need. 

it’s difficult to judge it all, we aren’t very clear as far on how fast we are supposed to be progressing. 

A few comments I've just seen about Harrison on a Leeds forum:

Leeds results when Jack scores

21 Wins
2 Draws
1 Loss (Liverpool away)

Shame he's not more consistent.

Exactly, no where near consistent. £25M PLEASE.

Agreed.
With Jack ,its got to the point where, every time he gets the ball, a voice in my head automatically says 'not much going to happen here for a bit'. He fannies about for a bit,then plays it back. Dribbling not good enough. Crossing ,generally poor. I wouldn' t be too upset if he left for anything over 15M.

Also a lot of talk about Harrison not really fitting into their current system as he is a Winger and Marsch's 4222 is a narrow system.

23 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This is the transfer rumour thread though so what else is there to discuss in here other than the transfer rumours that are reported ? 

It's not so much that it shouldn't be discussed, but just for folks not to let it get them in a panic.

I think discussions are being had and the club always goes into them with a value on a player, and if the selling club's value is much higher then the club looks elsewhere. I mean this is standard with all clubs.

But you know, the media are painting it all in a very negative light because info is scarce at the minute, and they were all expecting us to be 'the richest club in the world' and be spending like Man City and Chelsea do.

I'm jonesing for a signing now, like, so I can understand people starting to lose it a bit. Still fully confident we'll end the window in a much, much better place than where we started it.

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If that Sekou Mara info is correct then we‘ve messed up and need to be less dogmatic about our approach 

My gut instinct is that it isn't true. He was probably on the list of young strikers we were considering, but wasn't a priority.

No one this summer, including PSG (!), ever bid as much as we did for Ekitike. If we really had Marra as a priority, I doubt we would have been unwilling to stump up the £10 million or so Southampton look to be paying for him.

One thing which is making these signings harder is we are looking at the younger market, which means there's a lot of competition, and the prices are obviously going to be sky high. When the takeover happened, I was actually looking forward to picking up some top class players more around the 29-30 yr old bracket as short term bridge buys, as clubs will let them go relatively cheaply to recoup a transfer fee while they can.  Pretty sure Man City and Chelsea did this, but of course they didn't have FFP to deal with.

I mean with a £50m budget you could quite feasibly buy to top notch forwards who are a bit older now. Asensio is what - 28? - and I think the fee bandied about was about £20m?

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Asensio is what - 28? - and I think the fee bandied about was about £20m?

Hes 26, and fee has been given as 15-20m. Question marks over his recovery from injury though and the subsequent impact it’s had on his game. Plus he’ll want big wages I’d have thought. 

14 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think so too, but I also think we will have to overpay to get the players we need. 

it’s difficult to judge it all, we aren’t very clear as far on how fast we are supposed to be progressing. 

We know and we have. See Elitike and Botman but there's overpaying and overpaying. Seems they know they'll have to pay more than the going rate, they allow for that but there's only so far they'll go. ie 20mill player we bid 20 then 25 but say we'll walk away if they say 30.

Edited by madras

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

One thing which is making these signings harder is we are looking at the younger market, which means there's a lot of competition, and the prices are obviously going to be sky high. When the takeover happened, I was actually looking forward to picking up some top class players more around the 29-30 yr old bracket as short term bridge buys, as clubs will let them go relatively cheaply to recoup a transfer fee while they can.  Pretty sure Man City and Chelsea did this, but of course they didn't have FFP to deal with.

I mean with a £50m budget you could quite feasibly buy to top notch forwards who are a bit older now. Asensio is what - 28? - and I think the fee bandied about was about £20m?

I think a lot of stuff is being made up, that makes it seem like things are really difficult for us.

Just a couple of days ago the media made it seem as though Broja was on the verge of joining West Ham and Kalimuendo was on the verge of joining Leeds, and we had lost out on both, and neither move has happened and are now being reported as being stalled.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Hes 26, and fee has been given as 15-20m. Question marks over his recovery from injury though and the subsequent impact it’s had on his game. Plus he’ll want big wages I’d have thought. 

I saw figures of around 120k being bandied about for wages, which is not outrageous in today's market. Can't speak to the injury doubts though. But regardless, you would still think there would be players available who could do a job for a couple of years, similar to Kieron Trippier. It's just a means of getting the quality level up quickly so you can compete at a higher level immediately.

Just now, KaKa said:

I think a lot of stuff is being made up, that makes it seem like things are really difficult for us.

Just a couple of days ago the media made it seem as though Broja was on the verge of joining West Ham and Kalimuendo was on the verge of joining Leeds, and we had lost out on both, and neither move has happened and are now being reported as being stalled.

Yip. Much preferred the old style when there were few rumours. You could go weeks without anything then the Chron would report a signing, John Anderson or Steve Hardwick then it would all go quiet.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Might be down to a few clubs circling round the same players creating something of an auction. Then you need one to move so another player becomes available. In theory, if PSG have bought Ekitike, you would imagine that means they will now be more open to selling Kalimuendo for example.

Here !!! What's gannin here like ? Saudis offering Ronaldo £250 million and some Japanese golfer £350 million and we get a few quid.

It's not on this like I demand 4 £50 million players by the weekend.

48 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Its just the nature of social media journalism.

I think it was Pete Graves was saying that the best journalists will always aim to get confirmation of a transfer rumour from a player, an agent, the buying club and the selling club, but a lot of the less reputable reporters will run a story based on one of those things, normally the agent.

The problem is that agents regularly have a vested interest for leaking a story, correct or not.

In the age of social media, the need to report first is way more important than the need to report well. We saw it recently with the Paqueta to Arsenal rumour. A small, unreliable outlet reports that Arsenal are interested in Paqueta. This probably came from his agent. This story is then picked up by tabloids who present it as news, but quote the original source at the bottom of the article. A news aggregators such as NUFC 360 will then pick this up  but will only quote the tabloid headline with no context. Bam, a story leaked from a small, unreliable news outlet is now Twitter gospel, all in the name of clicks.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

Here !!! What's gannin here like ? Saudis offering Ronaldo £250 million and some Japanese golfer £350 million and we get a few quid.

It's not on this like I demand 4 £50 million players by the weekend.

I love these extreme views 

Why can’t fans want 1 x £50m player and a loan …and maybe a freebie ?

I don’t think anyone is expecting or demanding 4 x £50m players (apart from the fake Twitter makem accounts pretending to be newcastle fans)

Most of us just want a half decent winger and forward (not really arsed about the price to be fair) 

There will be another signing, that much is for certain. There's no way we go into this season without a new attacking player whether ST or RW. That was one of the problems last season and I don't believe for a second that all involved with the club don't understand that and have the determination/ability to fix it.

On to the next one then? Ah I had high hopes for that one. Again tho if the kid isn’t interested why was his agent in Newcastle and this wasn’t even a story till his agent was in Newcastle