More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, Unbelievable said:

Regarding our transfer policy, I’d argue out biggest problem is that we aren’t a very attractive proposition yet. It will take a few years of sustained succes (read: European football at a minimum) to become a destination the players who will want to play at that level consider us interesting enough to pressure their club into allowing them to speak to us. All we represent today is moneybags and a history for being a bit of a players’ career graveyard, which if we’re not careful will attract exactly the wrong type of player. In any case our facilities are still laughable and any top player will turn us down until we have more solid foundations in place. FFP also dictates that our build has to be a slow and sustainable one. Our owners can’t just go around splashing billions to make us CL win contenders overnight.

i have full faith in them to do the right thing and so far they have absolutely earned out faith by setting out a clear policy, getting the right people in place and planning for the future. It will take time to rebuild this club after more than a decade of willful neglect. Let’s treasure every moment and not act like spoiled bairns who need another new toy every other week.

I don’t agree with the whole “we aren’t attractive” narrative. We can clearly sell them a bright future now whereas before we couldn’t, we’ve got a huge stadium and also a a passionate fan base unlike any other in the league. I’d argue that we are a more attractive option than say Aston Villa and they’ve done alright with the calibre of play they are signing. 

My view on this, and the desperation to sign players, is that I am so anxious to see us kick on and do well. It's been over a decade since we did anything of note, and it has been fucking soul destroying. I know many of us fell out of love with the club, and even football to a degree because of how shit things were being run here. We've now been given the keys to the sweet shop, and being a greedy cunt, I want all the sweets. This summer is a real chance to correct our squad imbalance, and bring some quality players in. So yes, I am desperate to see it happen. I'll be gutted if we don't sign a RW and a ST, but that's only because of how much I want to see us do well again. Last season, we saw glimpses. Arsenal at home was something reminiscent of the Bobby days, for me. We can get there again, and naturally, I want it to happen as fast as possible, because I fucking miss it. Ultimately, however, I trust the owners, the manager, and the players to give us a good season where we're not worrying about fucking relegation. That alone would be a great start.

Just now, SiLvOR said:

My view on this, and the desperation to sign players, is that I am so anxious to see us kick on and do well. It's been over a decade since we did anything of note, and it has been fucking soul destroying. I know many of us fell out of love with the club, and even football to a degree because of how shit things were being run here. We've now been given the keys to the sweet shop, and being a greedy cunt, I want all the sweets. This summer is a real chance to correct our squad imbalance, and bring some quality players in. So yes, I am desperate to see it happen. I'll be gutted if we don't sign a RW and a ST, but that's only because of how much I want to see us do well again. Last season, we saw glimpses. Arsenal at home was something reminiscent of the Bobby days, for me. We can get there again, and naturally, I want it to happen as fast as possible, because I fucking miss it. Ultimately, however, I trust the owners, the manager, and the players to give us a good season where we're not worrying about fucking relegation. That alone would be a great start.

Finally a bit of honesty and sense.

I suspect we all feel like this.

Just now, Interpolic said:

This season has got Bobby Robson 2nd season vibes. 

Spoiler - next season will be a bit of a dull slog but we'll qualify for the CL in 23/24. 

I'm all for more obscure South Americans like Bassedas, Acuna and Cordone coming in.

We may need a couple of windows to show that we won't be ripped off, whether we like it or not.   If we show now that we will pay over the odds then it's not a good precedent for future deals 

Regarding our transfer policy, I think we're looking at two types of player.

We're looking at shorter term deals that can help consolidate the squad in midtable such as Pope, Burn and Targett.

At the same time time we've got half an eye on longer term targets that can help form the spine of team for years to come, such as Botman, Bruno and Ekitike. I think there will always be money for this kind of player, but we'll do it at our own valuation (I'm still not convinced there's a strict budget).

I think when we're walking away, due to inflated fees, wages or agent terms we're being quite public about it (see Carlos, Botman, Ekitike, Diaby and Isak). Walking away is frustrating, but we'll see the benefit of it in a year or two.

Lads we are in for a good season, even with this squad. We are leaner, meaner, more organised, better motivated, the full works. Eddie Howe has taught me that signings aren't everything, he turned Joelinton into Paddy V.

A couple of signings will happen and we will be good to go.

4 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

I don’t agree with the whole “we aren’t attractive” narrative. We can clearly sell them a bright future now whereas before we couldn’t, we’ve got a huge stadium and also a a passionate fan base unlike any other in the league. I’d argue that we are a more attractive option than say Aston Villa and they’ve done alright with the calibre of play they are signing. 

We are more attractive than a Wolves, Brighton or Palace, not as attractive as those clubs who can offer European football now and have a recent history of it.

Villa have done well with Kamara, not so sure about Carlos given his price and age and they had Coutinho last season. Be interesting if they keep building.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

We're looking at shorter term deals that can help consolidate the squad in midtable such as Pope, Burn and Targett.

At the same time time we've got half an eye on longer term targets that can help form the spine of team for years to come, such as Botman, Bruno and Ekitike. I think there will always be money for this kind of player, but we'll do it at our own valuation (I'm still not convinced there's a strict budget).

I think when we're walking away, due to inflated fees, wages or agent terms we're being quite public about it (see Carlos, Botman, Ekitike, Diaby and Isak). Walking away is frustrating, but we'll see the benefit of it in a year or two.

I also think by showing an interest early doors and then walking away, we are allowing the situation to mature. Clubs sometimes come to terms with the idea of losing players and players are given a chance to put pressure on their clubs for a move.

There is a reason we are playing this game now and not in 5 weeks. In 5 weeks when we are nearing crunch time we will ramp up our bids. We put 3 or 4 bids in for Carlos and Botman before signing Burn.

Don't be surprised if we don't take a Cornet etc in the last week, to make sure we have someone through the door.

It's better to do it this way around than to going straight to plan C.

Probably one for the pet hates thread, but I hate when people think nothing of someone else overspending to buy something and even pretty much demand it. The club is working to a budget, just like everyone else. It makes sense to stretch the budget as far as they can.

The owners got the keys 9 months ago. Since then the squad has been trimmed by the following leaving; Woodman, Hayden, Hendrick, Clark and soon to be Gayle. With the following added; Targett, Burn, Wood, Trippier, Bruno, Pope, Botman.

9 months only and we have 5-6 weeks left of this window still. 

We're in good hands and heading in the right direction for the first time in 14 years, enjoy it.

I've no issues at all with the owners taking their time getting bodies in and I do trust them. I also happen to think that we will fill the attacking positions before the window closes in on way or another.
All I'm saying is that should the window close today we haven't done "enough" to keep the momentum going IMO. And as @SiLvORsaid I WANT more. :D 

The only communicated stuff about ambition is from when the takeover went through and some snippets from a couple of conferences here and there. And it doesn't seem to be "Finishing 10th - 14th". But hey, I maybe wrong.

My point is we have a great opportunity to grow and build something really special. And we probably will need to take a shortcut or two along the way. In no way am I advocating unreasonable signings or throwing XX amount of extra millions on players. Squadwise we've upgraded our GK and CB department so far this summer. Hopefully there will be a few attacking signings as well. The foundation is there and we're starting to have a professional setup after so much time of neglect.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Not sure about Pope, looking forward to see him in a better quality set up. Remember the circumstances for Burn was we were desperate in the short term after bids for Carlos and Botman were turned down and agree about Targett.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Probably one for the pet hates thread, but I hate when people think nothing of someone else overspending to buy something and even pretty much demand it. The club is working to a budget, just like everyone else. It makes sense to stretch the budget as far as they can.

Yeah it's crackers. I'd be shit scared of wasting millions on shite players. You have to be a proper hard nose to be DoF.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Lads we are in for a good season, even with this squad. We are leaner, meaner, more organised, better motivated, the full works. Eddie Howe has taught me that signings aren't everything, he turned Joelinton into Paddy V.

A couple of signings will happen and we will be good to go.

You didn’t manage to avoid the thread for long 😂

2 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

I've no issues at all with the owners taking their time getting bodies in and I do trust them. I also happen to think that we will fill the attacking positions before the window closes in on way or another.
All I'm saying is that should the window close today we haven't done "enough" to keep the momentum going IMO. And as @SiLvORsaid I WANT more. :D 

The only communicated stuff about ambition is from when the takeover went through and some snippets from a couple of conferences here and there. And it doesn't seem to be "Finishing 10th - 14th". But hey, I maybe wrong.

My point is we have a great opportunity to grow and build something really special. And we probably will need to take a shortcut or two along the way. In no way am I advocating unreasonable signings or throwing XX amount of extra millions on players. Squadwise we've upgraded our GK and CB department so far this summer. Hopefully there will be a few attacking signings as well. The foundation is there and we're starting to have a professional setup after so much time of neglect.

I start work today at 4pm. If I was to have to start work right now Id be working in a pair of late 90s style NUFC  shorts, an underarmor T-shirt and no socks instead of the uniform I'm normally required to wear. Teeth unbrushed as I don't do them until I've finished breakast.

18 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I'm all for more obscure South Americans like Bassedas, Acuna and Cordone coming in.

Did we have the first South American(s) and, much later, the first Brazilian to play at the highest level in England? 

But then sometimes if the player is not significantly better then what we have, I don’t think we should go for him for the sake of slight improvement. We already paid 25m for Wood which a lot of people here already wanted out. I personally rather not signing Harrison due to similar reason. Yea Murphy Almiron aren’t good enough but is Harrison really much better, or we need to sign someone to replace him again next season and wasted another 30m?