More transfer rumours

midds

30 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'd rather have a top quality DM and give Bruno more license - and focus on more pace and goals out wide. That's generally because as much as Iove #10s - I think it would give us the better chance of immediate progression up this particular league.

I agree.If only we could sign another Batty and Lee for starters,then Bruno could pull the strings further up field.

Most top teams build in a 3-2-5 formation now. It's the best way to attack a back four, because there are five channels that you can occupy. You can do it from a 4-3-3 (Liverpool with very high full backs), 4-2-3-1 (Man City, Arsenal with one full back advanced and the other making a back 3) or a back three with wing backs (Chelsea). 

If we're after Lodi (another attacking full back), it makes me think we're more likely to do it the Liverpool way with two very advanced full backs making up a front 5 alongside the front three, with a defensive midfielder dropping in to make a back 3 and a pivot ahead of them. It might look something like:

2027797867_lineup(3).png.4c3c0eba22c7c71fd01f3400b83caa20.png

It would also be pretty great for defending in a 4-4-2, which again is the defensive shape a lot of the top teams are using right now if they don't immediately win the ball back:

856655910_lineup(4).png.09e3099e6b592fd12ff52f7c30b7fba6.png

So I'm thinking the three main priorities here are left back (Lodi), a DM (I don't think Bruno is particularly suited to the role in the above system. He likes to press) and a goalscoring right winger. We also need an understudy to Wilson.

Not sure Paqueta fits in this hypothetical scenario really. Unless you were going to play him as a false 9 or something.

Edited by Smal

So we're trusting the process which will leave us with Wood up top again, are we? :D

Still amazed people don't understand how the market works, even if we bid the same amount as Villa, Sevilla might have declined...

Fact is however, we need more than what we most likely are able to fill with the rumoured cash available, unless they get a Saudi club to buy someone for inflated prices!

Just now, thorin said:

So we're trusting the process which will leave us with Wood up top again, are we? :D

Still amazed people don't understand how the market works, even if we bid the same amount as Villa, Sevilla might have declined...

Fact is however, we need more than what we most likely are able to fill with the rumoured cash available, unless they get a Saudi club to buy someone for inflated prices!

You are embarrassing yourself. Stop.

24 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Seems that big Sven to Milan isn't as nailed on as it seemed.

The have Kululu who has been a revelation alongside Tomori - that has eased any pressure on them in terms of their CB search 

4 minutes ago, thorin said:

Remember thorin for worst poster 2021/22, folks.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Remember thorin for worst poster 2021/22, folks.

Love it! Ain't nuttin like an omelette.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Diaby

Phillips/Bissouma

Lodi/Targett

CF

Henderson 

Botman

Would fill most of our needs. Would probably cost 150-175 million though - unless you can get some on loan-to-buy.

And would take the budget to what looks like 3 windows :D

...AND there's no pace with Botman, only ball playing class. Still need a CB and DM with pace to cover.

Edited by thorin

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Diaby

Phillips/Bissouma

Lodi/Targett

CF

Henderson 

Botman

Would fill most of our needs. Would probably cost 150-175 million though - unless you can get some on loan-to-buy.

Phillips would be tailor made for what I posted above.

Not seen Diaby play. How's his work rate?

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Hope we get that Diaby, like.

Don't like Edwards but he's begrudgingly one I'd listen to above others. 

New thread senses are tingling. 

Steady on with the new threads :lol:

33 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m just as excited to get Ashworth confirmed as I am regarding any signing tbh, really hope we can push that through soon.

This is a funny season in a way. We’ve got our forever-manager and some great signings before we’ve got the underlying structure of the club sorted. 

Of course you have to do that because you go down without those things. But I guess we’ll have to be patient if superstars don’t arrive as quickly as we might like.

There will still be situations like in January, where we think we have a player and the goalposts get moved etc. We don’t have the perfect recruitment machine in place yet. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

Anyone that doesn't think the January window was a success is either being deliberately obtuse or they didn't watch much of us from February onward.

Have no idea whether or not you're referring to me, as I haven't mentioned anything from Jan. besides Wood. If people in here thinks that paying £25 mill and what looks to be at the top of our alleged salary cap. was a GOOD or the BEST buy we could, you're more delusional than me - stating the fact.

In terms of sales I'm struggling to see us raising much cash. Mainly due to age and contract of the players.

Darlow - £4 million

Woodman - £4 million

Hayden - £8 million

Clark - free/subsided loan

Fernandez - free/nominal

Gayle - free/nominal

Ritchie - free/nominal

Hendrick - free/subsidised loan

Manquillo or Lewis - £5m- ish

Then you could possibly get £5-10 million for either Almiron or Murphy with a winger coming in. Maybe you could see Shelvey go for similar if we sign another CM - or Lascelles if we sign 2 CBs. 

But maximum you're looking at is £20-30 million if we're looking to minimise the amount of squad turnover and sign 5-6 players.

We're in a really shit position due to lack of investment previously. It's like starting from zero.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

This is a funny season in a way. We’ve got our forever-manager and some great signings before we’ve got the underlying structure of the club sorted. 

Of course you have to do that because you go down without those things. But I guess we’ll have to be patient if superstars don’t arrive as quickly as we might like.

There will still be situations like in January, where we think we have a player and the goalposts get moved etc. We don’t have the perfect recruitment machine in place yet. 

It's nothing new here tho., if you look at all the big teams it's the same. RM and Barca overpays regularly to get the players they want, just how the machine runs. PSG, City, Utd (who else would have paid 80 for Maguire?) etc. But of course it might have helped going another route, only time will tell if Ashworth is able to. However I think the price basically remains the same, but the approach and valuation will be different. So when one rely on the valuation of a player it suddenly makes sense to pay what they ask for.

1 minute ago, thorin said:

Have no idea whether or not you're referring to me, as I haven't mentioned anything from Jan. besides Wood. If people in here thinks that paying £25 mill and what looks to be at the top of our alleged salary cap. was a GOOD or the BEST buy we could, you're more delusional than me - stating the fact.

I think the consensus is that Wood turned out to be a poor signing but it’s understandable that we didn’t want to take any chances with another player who we might not get. 

Like I said above, we don’t have a well oiled and experienced recruitment department yet, and we didn’t have the luxury of time. 

Just now, thorin said:

You're taking one signing in isolation, while ignoring the rest of the business that was done to criticise "the process". That process contributed to Champions League form in the second half of the season.