More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, LV said:

Maybe they’re hoping competition will bring the best out of both Pope and Dubs.

Otherwise I don’t understand this move really considering Pope is no better than Dubs. 

I do think Pope is better than Dubs, although definitely not by much.

I think his signing might bit in a similar thought process to Targett's signing. Get a solid premier league player in for a good price and forget about that position for at least a season. Even if not a glamorous pep guardiola system type signing.

Remember what happened at the start of the season when Dubs was out and Woodman and Darlow were costing us points pretty often iirc. 

Edited by Joey47

Just now, r0cafella said:

Where does this leave us in budget terms is what I’m head scratching. If our budget is limited as has been briefed to all the Journos is a goal keeper a good use of it? 

All a smokescreen imo. Convince everyone we're skint by making cheap but shrewd upgrades like Pope and Targett (and Eriksen? Himagine dat), get to the end of August and suddenly fire the cash cannons. Botman, Paqueta, Sterling, '05 Munez, Leazes Terrace; the fucking lot.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Where does this leave us in budget terms is what I’m head scratching. If our budget is limited as has been briefed to all the Journos is a goal keeper a good use of it? 

Hard to say budget wise.  In terms. Of real amount potentially available and what has been publicised. Within the FFP possible budget (which I’m clueless about) I suspect we will acquire what we can if really positive options become available to us. 

Not a fan of Pope but he’s better than Darlow and Gillespie. I’d rather we’d gone for a younger prospect to challenge Dubravka. 

I’ll be disappointed if he starts ahead of Dubravka.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

All a smokescreen imo. Convince everyone we're skint by making cheap but shrewd upgrades like Pope and Targett (and Eriksen? Himagine dat), get to the end of August and suddenly fire the cash cannons. Botman, Paqueta, Sterling, '05 Munez, Leazes Terrace; the fucking lot.

I hope your right my friend. 

6 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Not a fan of Pope but he’s better than Darlow and Gillespie. I’d rather we’d gone for a younger prospect to challenge Dubravka. 

I’ll be disappointed if he starts ahead of Dubravka.

I just don’t see how maths works out, apparently we’re spending £100ml yet are linked With keepers, cb’s, rm’s and strikers.

It just doesn’t work out bearing  in minds we’ve already spent £15m

8 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I just don’t see how maths works out, apparently we’re spending £100ml yet are linked With keepers, cb’s, rm’s and strikers.

It just doesn’t work out bearing  in minds we’ve already spent £15m

Clawing some money back from Darlow and Woodman should see us about right with Pope for £8m.

Happy enough with Pope - more so than Henderson.

As has been said, he'd be an upgrade on Darlow at the very least. We bought a right pair of plums with him and Lascelles.

Send them both back to Nottingham, I say, with no chance of parole.

2 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Happy enough with Pope - more so than Henderson.

As has been said, he'd be an upgrade on Darlow at the very least. We bought a right pair of plums with him and Lascelles.

Send them both back to Nottingham, I say, with no chance of parole.

Think we might get shot of Darlow to the Beasts, Lascelles linked with Forest and Fulham. £20m for the pair and we’ve done well.

Pope is a much better keeper than Dubs. His distribution isn’t great but I can’t ever recall watching a match where Dubs has created anything. So long as Pope doesn’t put a defender under pressure/ fall on his arse/ miss the ball/ keep kicking into touch then we’re not missing anything with the change. Dubs is ok, Pope would get us a few extra points, no doubt in my mind.

Without moaning, I really would have expected us to have made 1 or 2 signings on top of Targett by now.

Hopefully whoever we do eventually sign will be well worth the wait though. I suppose we do still have 10 days or so until preseason training even begins.

Edited by Sean

Just now, Sean said:

Without moaning, I really would have expected us to have made 1 or 2 signings on top of Targett by now.

Hopefully whoever we do eventually sign will be well worth the wait though.

Eggs in the Botman Ekitike basket at the moment. Given players come back next Friday I can’t see Howe and Ashworth waiting too much longer before activating Plan Bs. They must be inundated with offers from agents for alternatives.

Yeah I think may come alive if noone else is in for them later in window but I would be minded now to leave offers on table (unless alternative found) and stop wasting energy chasing them and move on. 

20 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Yeah, don't know for sure but you'd have to imagine one of the criteria for the plan b's is 'can be done quickly'.

yep, like Burn and Wood in Jan