Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

I’d keep him in the squad, 100%. I think he is the first one out of the regular 13 or so players that we use, who needs upgrading, though. 

He needs replacing as a squad member also, although I appreciate that may take a few windows. He's just not good enough. 

That miss felt a bit like the final nail in the coffin of any debate about Wood. Like there's nothing really left to discuss.

We've known pretty much since his debut that we signed a bit of a dud; not that he wasn't useful in our run last season. The quandary thereafter has been: can he contribute positively as a squad player as we seek to compete in 3-4 competitions?

It felt like the answer was finally revealed last night: no. Him being our third choice strike will hinder our chances of progressing in multiple competitions. He wasn't the only one to miss chances but his was the worst (aside from maybe Anderson?) and his general performance was terrible too.

He isn't good enough to contribute to the mission of getting to where we want to be and it's essential that we sign a better third choice striker in the summer. 

I've said from the start I don't rate him. He's not good enough. I understand the main reason he was bought was to weaken a direct relegation rival and for that reason it worked put as Burnley went down and we didn't.

However this season he shouldn't be getting anywhere near the amount of minutes he has been but that is more down to Callum Wilson being so unreliable. Hopefully now Isak is back we'll be seeing far less of him on the pitch than we have been.

Edited by Wallsendmag

17 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Callum Wilson being so unreliable

Got a serious decision to make on Wilson in the Summer. The fact he has barely played 50% of available games in his time here can't continue. I can't see him being happy becoming a squad player, but we also can't keep him as our number 1 striker with his injury record. As much as we all like him, it just can't continue. 

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Got a serious decision to make on Wilson in the Summer. The fact he has barely played 50% of available games in his time here can't continue. I can't see him being happy becoming a squad player, but we also can't keep him as our number 1 striker with his injury record. As much as we all like him, it just can't continue. 

Agreed

If there was a moment that epitomised Wood, it was that chance and the end result of how that chance turned out.

An extremely average striker and we really need to move him on, no doubt end up losing a lot of money on him but that's the reality of it, he's absolutely horrific.

Never got behind his signing.

However, I do believe his poor shot yesterday was probably down to a bobble. The pitch was not great. Happened to a couple of our players looking to shoot.
The rest of his play, that’s on him.

I understood his signing because we were desperate and we needed someone with a release clause where their club couldn’t say no. 

Also we had to offer him 2 years because he wouldn’t have signed for just 1. 

But he’s a very poor player and starting him at the top level is awful. 

Can’t wait to get rid of him. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

17 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

If there was a moment that epitomised Wood, it was that chance and the end result of how that chance turned out.

An extremely average striker and we really need to move him on, no doubt end up losing a lot of money on him but that's the reality of it, he's absolutely horrific.

I assume he’ll just go for free when his contract ends. 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

In the time he’s been here, he’s shown he can:

Score penalties

Head balls on to no-man’s land 

Run at a keeper and defenders and hold a position on the pitch

That a £25m return? I know we stayed up last season but I always felt people gave him a little too much credit for that 

100%, he was poor for us last season too. We stayed up despite him, not because of him.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I assume he’ll just go for free when his contract ends. 

Unfortunately I just can't see anyone being interested in him in the Summer on a permanent deal with his wages. Best opportunity is to loan him out and let his contract run down. He can't be in the 25 man squad come next season though. 

I’ve never been convinced he really helped us to stay up, but it’s hard to prove either way. The club certainly believed we needed him, so that’s something in his favour. Or in favour of the decision to buy him, at least. 

It’s not really worth debating that again now, he’ll be gone soon. 

I reckon Wilson might not be too appalled at becoming third choice if he's being used against tired opposition towards the end of games. It'll give him more time to think about the media career which awaits him, as well.

15 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I reckon Wilson might not be too appalled at becoming third choice if he's being used against tired opposition towards the end of games. It'll give him more time to think about the media career which awaits him, as well.

Likewise. A 31 year old Wilson with his injury record shouldn’t have an issue being a squad player. Especially when we’re going to fighting for top 4, trying to win both domestic cups & playing in Europe. He’ll get plenty games. 

Edited by Likelylad

I've just decided to watch the lowlights again from yesterday to look at Wood's chance again to see if I was being harsh.

Nope, looks even worse watching a 2nd and 3rd time. Horrible, horrible miss, wasn't even jus a foot over the bar, he cleared it!

Anderson should have been bursting the net too with his strike from the 6 yard box which Dawson saved.

Having thought about it far more than I should and discussed with @LFEE, I don’t think he genuinely believes he belongs here. In my view you have to be confident and self-assured to be a striker; and also able to shrug off a miss. He looks like a deer in the headlights in front of our fans. I’m overthinking it but when I saw him celebrate away at Saints this year he looked surprised that he’d scored. 

6 hours ago, Sima said:

Time to turn him into glue.

You have to believe it’d be the least adhesive glue going. Poor guy, man. 

:lol: it’s more impressive he’s missed the net by this margin. I feel so bad for him, it’d have been great if he scored and received the redemption to prove his value, but the Universe hard noped on him. 

2A3D6193-88FB-40E4-AD8A-427B1022D252.jpeg

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Agree. Personally I'd be looking to offload him. He's not not reliable (fitness wise) and being unavailable for over half the games we've played since he signed is no good to anyone. He's 31 next month so these injuries are only going to get worse. Plus we will be in the position this summer to spend big on a top striker (really big should we make top 4) to either compete with Isak or play alongside him. The penny pinching days are long gone. 

He did the job he was brought here for. He’s doing the job planned for his second season. You’d always think his last season is the recoup a small proportion of his £20m fee phase. The only glitch in the plan was I think the club expected Wilson and Isak to be far more readily available and hopefully never unavailable concurrently. That sadly hasn’t been the case.

Ive always tried to defend him (our style of play, not many good crosses and how many actual chances have we created for him that he’s missed) but unfortunately the Bournemouth, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday misses (two of which I even hoped for the lad were nasty bobbles) have sealed his fate you’d think. EH is a smart manager a CW seems a good pro so don’t foresee any issues as he returns back to 5min cameos for the rest of the season.

Still got a funny feeling he’s got one absolutely massive goal left in him this season…