Jesse Lingard

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Have massive worries Lingard last season was a purple patch.

Sure he’ll be more effective than Fraser mind.

The fact we have no irons in the fire for a CM is painful though. Looks like Howe does foolishly rate Shelvey then.

Aye, thats my fear, another Willock

Have massive worries Lingard last season was a purple patch.

Sure he’ll be more effective than Fraser mind.

The fact we have no irons in the fire for a CM is painful though. Looks like Howe does foolishly rate Shelvey then.

Aye, he definitely outperformed his average career performance to date at West Ham. He's very average, but that's still better than what we have I guess.

We have no irons in the fire at CM?

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, he definitely outperformed his average career performance to date at West Ham. He's very average, but that's still better than what we have I guess.

We have no irons in the fire at CM?

We’d know if we did as the entire transfer window is being played out so publicly.

35 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Aye, that was West Ham last year. My concern is us this year. 

And I’m not saying he will toss it off; I’m saying it’s a worry if we give him a big long contract to get him here. 

Surely a bit unfair to say he would be just coming here for money, thats what i was pointing towards. Hes meant to be pretty good friends with Tripper as well

3 minutes ago, olliemort said:

Surely a bit unfair to say he would be just coming here for money, thats what i was pointing towards. Hes meant to be pretty good friends with Tripper as well

Until we are actually competing it’s safe to assume players are coming for the money like, it certainly isn’t for our state do the art facilities. 

also, nothing wrong with players moving for the money, someone offers me a nice rise in also jumping ship. 

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

We’d know if we did as the entire transfer window is being played out so publicly.

from The Athletic yesterday:

“Let’s start with the business they still want to do — which positions are they actively looking to strengthen?

Come February 1, ideally, Newcastle will have signed — on top of Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood — two new centre-backs, a left-back, at least one central midfielder and another forward, while even a goalkeeper addition has not been ruled out.”

“While a regular criticism of Lee Charnley, the previous managing director, was that multiple deals were rarely negotiated at the same time, Newcastle’s recruitment team have been attempting to sign players for several positions simultaneously.”

In midfield, beyond Lingard, several ambitious loan enquiries have been launched for, among others, Donny van de Beek at Manchester United, and Georginio Wijnaldum and Idrissa Gana Gueye at Paris Saint-Germain, to no avail yet. There is, though, a realisation that players are more likely to move on loan towards the end of January, so there is hope quality temporary signings can still arrive.

Todd Cantwell is also liked by Newcastle, though Norwich City’s asking price will need to drop for a deal to be reached. RB Leipzig’s Amadou Haidara, Marseille’s Boubacar Kamara and Lyon’s Bruno Guimaraes have also been scouted extensively.”

8 minutes ago, Manxst said:

from The Athletic yesterday:

“Let’s start with the business they still want to do — which positions are they actively looking to strengthen?

Come February 1, ideally, Newcastle will have signed — on top of Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood — two new centre-backs, a left-back, at least one central midfielder and another forward, while even a goalkeeper addition has not been ruled out.”

“While a regular criticism of Lee Charnley, the previous managing director, was that multiple deals were rarely negotiated at the same time, Newcastle’s recruitment team have been attempting to sign players for several positions simultaneously.”

In midfield, beyond Lingard, several ambitious loan enquiries have been launched for, among others, Donny van de Beek at Manchester United, and Georginio Wijnaldum and Idrissa Gana Gueye at Paris Saint-Germain, to no avail yet. There is, though, a realisation that players are more likely to move on loan towards the end of January, so there is hope quality temporary signings can still arrive.

Todd Cantwell is also liked by Newcastle, though Norwich City’s asking price will need to drop for a deal to be reached. RB Leipzig’s Amadou Haidara, Marseille’s Boubacar Kamara and Lyon’s Bruno Guimaraes have also been scouted extensively.”

So I’m right then - we’ve not got anything on the go for a CM at the moment (as reported by every other journalist we’re currently working on Carlos, Lingard and a striker) as we have tried and failed for several players so far?

It’s such a random selection of players too, all completely different types of CMs. It’s almost like we’re just trying to recruit anyone at this point.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

24 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I don't think it is to be honest.

The likes of SSN and other media outlets require constant attention/clicks to survive. They'll therefore take something as small as an enquiry or a deadlock in negotiations and blow it into something far more dramatic to create a headline.

Case in point would be Sky with Digne. It seems we had an interest and most likely made an informal enquiry. This was blown into us making a £22.5 million bid, this was later retracted by Sky.

Then the two sagas of Botman and Carlos. If the media were to be believed we've been messed around. It seems though that both Lille and Sevilla were quite clear with their prices from the off, but the former chose to take the player off the market. The far more likely story that we're in the process negotiating a fair price, discussing the structure of a contract and waiting on third parties (all of which takes weeks in a deal of that size) isn't dramatic or headline worthy and won't have thousands of desperate NUFC fans clicking in a hurry. 

Throw in mischievous agents trying to whip up a demand in their cliebt (see the Hazard stuff) and most of it won't be coming from our end.

I appreciate our side do love a positive progress report to the local journos, which I wish they'd pack in, but they tend to be quite vague in nature.

Essentially most of the stuff we read isn't deals being played out in public, its media outlets putting out click bait for fans who they know can't wait for a daily update.

Edited by The Prophet

So I’m right then - we’ve not got anything on the go for a CM at the moment (as reported by every other journalist we’re currently working on Carlos, Lingard and a striker) as we have tried and failed for several players so far?

It’s such a random selection of players too, all completely different types of CMs. It’s almost like we’re just trying to recruit anyone at this point.

No, you’re not right, you’re just presuming because you’ve seen nothing specific in the media that fits your agenda. Neither of us have any idea what moves we’re making for a CM, but it appears that we’re aware of the need and that we have, or are currently, trying to sign one or more.

I dont think the owners can win at the moment with this forum.   Just because names haven't been mentioned in the media for a CM, doesn't mean they aren't looking or making progress?   The situation has become an absolute paradox: - Most are sick of the media speculating on names and the constant commentary on one side.   On the other side, if nothing is mentioned, most become concerned that nothing is happening.

Its an impossible position for them!

1 minute ago, Awaymag said:

I dont think the owners can win at the moment with this forum.   Just because names haven't been mentioned in the media for a CM, doesn't mean they aren't looking or making progress?   The situation has become an absolute paradox: - Most are sick of the media speculating on names and the constant commentary on one side.   On the other side, if nothing is mentioned, most become concerned that nothing is happening.

I'll be concerned if they're worried about this.

4 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

It’s not an impossible position at all like.

People are rightly concerned based on our business so far (as I mentioned yesterday which has already cost us 2 points vs Watford) and it doesn’t mean you hate the owners or love Ashley if you point that out.

The concern isn’t necessarily with the owners for a CM either. I think Howe is having a big influence on areas we need strengthening and I’d speculate that he (wrongly) doesn’t see that as a priority.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

People are rightly concerned based on our business so far (as I mentioned yesterday which has already cost us 2 points vs Watford) and it doesn’t mean you hate the owners or love Ashley if you point that out.

The concern isn’t necessarily with the owners for a CM either. I think Howe is having a big influence on areas we need strengthening an; I’d speculate that he (wrongly) doesn’t see that as a priority.

It’s impossible to say that transfer inactivity has ‘cost us two points against Watford’. It’s all totally hyperthetical- a player we signed before the game may have cost us the point we achieved, or may well have got injured before half time.

I’ve already pointed out to you that the club are looking to get at least one CM. Howe has been identified as one of three or four individuals who are specifically in charge of our current transfer activity. Your presumption doesn’t match the facts that have been presented, for whatever reason. 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

It’s impossible to say that transfer inactivity has ‘cost us two points against Watford’. It’s all totally hyperthetical- a player we signed before the game may have cost us the point we achieved, or may well have got injured before half time.

I’ve already pointed out to you that the club are looking to get at least one CM. Howe has been identified as one of three or four individuals who are specifically in charge of our current transfer activity. Your presumption doesn’t match the facts that have been presented, for whatever reason. 

Tells me it’s hypothetical that we would have beaten Watford with a stronger squad and then tells me ‘facts’ have been presented by quoting a Waugh article. :lol: 

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Tells me it’s hypothetical that we would have beaten Watford with a stronger squad and then tells me ‘facts’ have been presented by quoting in a Waugh article. :lol: 

And yet you don’t quote any ‘facts’ at all. 

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The concern isn’t necessarily with the owners for a CM either. I think Howe is having a big influence on areas we need strengthening and I’d speculate that he (wrongly) doesn’t see that as a priority.

Concerns are rightly be aired but its the paradox that we want all info on who we are going for but then complaining that its a circus and why can't these be done quietly

11 minutes ago, Manxst said:

And yet you don’t quote any ‘facts’ at all. 

I haven’t said that I am. I’ve stated several times it’s more opinion, that’s usually what posting on a forum is for.

12 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Concerns are rightly be aired but its the paradox that we want all info on who we are going for but then complaining that its a circus and why can't these be done quietly

I would rather everything is done quietly, but it’s not, so I’m passing comment on the observation that most journalists are reporting we’re currently trying to do deals for four players and none of them are CMs.

23 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

How on earth did not signing a CB cost us 2 points v Watford? Trippier was beaten in the air for the goal. 

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

How on earth did not signing a CB cost us 2 points v Watford? Trippier was beaten in the air for the goal. 

We a better centre back and centre midfielder we wouldn’t have dropped deep as soon as we scored.

Just now, jonny1403 said:

Who said just a CB?

A CM, CB and decent striker should have all been a priority in the first three weeks of this window. One, two, or three of those would have significantly helped us win that game.

Different players playing the game would make the entire game different too. It’s not as simple as looking at the goal and saying a CB wouldn’t have changed that. If we had a better striker or a CM, we might have been 3-0 up by that point.

Either way, a stronger team would probably have done better. It’s not rocket science to think that.